gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Plastic dying trials
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Plastic dying trials  (Read 885 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Plastic dying trials
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Getting my hands on some "industrial" powdered dyes tomorrow with any luck to see if they will have better joy dying the usually impervious plastics used in some seats. No idea if they will be any better than dylon/rit but will post some pics of my experiments as they happen  :daumenhoch:

If they work i can get the dyes in most colours and they can be mixed to make any colour you wish  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Plastic dying trials
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:53 PM »
Certain plastics will not dye as the colour has been set in the production of the plastic and the structure of the plastic is such that dye cannot penetrate<Nylon has a structure that will accept dye which is why it is used in fabrics  , hence nylon seats dye very well.
Be interesting to see what results you get on various seats with what your getting as the harder seats are the plastics that are impervious to dying

Good luck and show us the results   

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Exactly my thinking, i doubt it will do any seat but some seats seem to only half take a dye and end up a hippy wishy washy colour. It may have better luck with these seats. If anyone has any scruffy seats they can donate to science  ;D i could get some sort of list going of viable seat makes/models  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:33 PM »
we need lots of pictures and a good write up   :daumenhoch:

chuck some grips in as well  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Good call on the grips Bendy!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:42 PM »
Only got a yellow Italian made seat and a snapped white aeroyal that i can think of seat wise to play with. Some scruffy white fuans and some white welgo pedals too i think. Hmmmm

Lab rats needed guys  :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:08 PM »
THANK YOU  ;D

pm me you addy and i will see what i have around - but i want 30% of you business and dyes or i'm out  :yahoo_silent:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:08 AM »
30% is a little steep for a few old bits of plastic. This empire could make millions  :LolLolLolLol:

Will see how i get on with the bits i have then i may take you up on your offer Bendy  :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:14 AM »
 ;D

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Just got the dyes, now to find a bloody big pot....  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Just got the dyes, now to find a bloody big pot....  :daumenhoch:
Were are you? We have a 45 gallon oil drum in the skip at work :)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the offer but im in Manchester and i dont think i would get the drum under the extractor in the kitchen   :daumenhoch:

Going to call in the local pound type shop tomorrow, they sell loads of big pots for the curry house owners  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Plastic dying trials

gfxgfx
gfx gfx