gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:54 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Performer USA or Asia
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GT Performer USA or Asia  (Read 1420 times)

gingejp

GT Performer USA or Asia
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:14 PM »

I've been on the lookout for an og GT performer (84-87) so have been clueing up a little. I'm now aware they were originally all USA built but then some were built for GT at factories in Japan and Taiwan. I've found an 85 that judging by the frame number and info available on here, is japanese built.

I gather the USA built are most desirable, but are the asian (or particularly japan made) frames just the same quality?

Are they worth much less?

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: GT Performer USA or Asia
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:16 PM »

84 or not bother

gingejp

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:32 PM »

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:38 PM »

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I've had both US and Tai, and if I'm honest,  the differences are hardly noticeable.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline senzo milano

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Performer 1984 till 1987... love them all  :smitten: :smitten: Yellow the most  :coolsmiley:
Big bobbles ,no troubles

deeman

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 03:54 AM »

84 or not bother

Why's that mate?

Same applies for other frames too mate!Hutch Trick Stars,Haro's,Redlines.Main reason being that in 1985 most of the big U.S manufacturers moved production to the far east to take advantage of the cheaper labour and to keep up with demand.Usually as a result of this quality usually suffered in some way shape or form.Demand was so high that some of the U.S stuff was shocking quality with stuff flying out the door so quick,but were generally better than the asian versions,therefore making the 1984 models of most of these bikes more desirable as they hail from the country where they originated.cosmetically it's usually hard to distinguish between the two unless you really know what you are looking for.To all intents and purposes a 1987 performer will look just as cool as a 1984 pro performer,and only the anoraks will be able to tell the difference!depend how anal you are or your budjet allows you to be! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Performer USA or Asia

gfxgfx
gfx gfx