gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 09:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  racer rather than dirtbike - oooh look!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: racer rather than dirtbike - oooh look!  (Read 2188 times)

Offline gavprimo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
racer rather than dirtbike - oooh look!
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:12 PM »
so my dirtbike is nearly finished (as per pic but now tih chain fitted), but I've hit on a dilemma...

the skate park at the cyclo park is overrun by younguns on skateboards, bikes and (ugh) scooters, and in between trying to fit in work, road riding to keep fit, and going out for bike rides as a family, I'm not going to have time to travel to other park/indoor spots, and I definitely don't ride street!!

what there is at the cyclo park that has some structure and the chance of using it is the race track and the pump track, and a friend of mine is coaching there.  you only have to do the induction and you can use the track

so I'm thinking about chopping the dirtbike in for a nice (rider condition) cruiser or 20 inch race bike.  what wouold be nicer/easier to ride, cruiser or 20?

I've already got knee/shin pads and other padding, so it's only the bike that's needed

any thoughts. recommendations or offers?

If I sell the dirt bike I will probably make more if I part it out

cheers gav
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:30 PM by gavprimo »

motomagII

Re: racer rather than dirtbike - cruiser or 20? mid or new school?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 01:15 PM »
cruiser is easier but 20 is m0re fun
the dirt bike is and would be okay at the track to be honest

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • who the fook are you lookin at !!!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 01:30 PM »
if you fall off you have a further 4" to fall on a cruiser  :LolLolLolLol:
Ride it like its stolen

pedestrian

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Same here as motomag says.
Cruiser is easier to start with on a track. But since you already got used to a 20" why change? Iīd stick with the 20".

You of course still can use your dirt bike on  the track.
Dirt bikes have a shorter rear end, which makes it easiert to jump, but at the same time a bit more difficult to handle when being at the start or manualing at a faster speed. But thatīs nothing of a big problem once you got used to it.

Dont forget to get a rear brake. Maybe some knobbie tyres too. And use a full-face helmet.  :daumenhoch:

Offline gavprimo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:47 PM »
thanks for the comments and suggestions, they all sound sensible

for consideration are lighter more race oriented tyres like power blocks - biggest saving will be in rotational weight, and a lighter seat

i have an ad990 but with the 33t chainring the chain is just rubbing the mount so I'm looking for a 36t or possibly a 39t so it will clear (have ody 13t rear freewheel)

the inertia fork is already stupidly light and the wheels are supra J light weight 36s so not too bad and the bars are s&m (so not going anywhere)

cheers guys

motomagII

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:51 PM »
you need 36x13 gearing on track thats perfect.
if you can manuel good set the rear wheel back tot he centre of the drops ont he frame make the wheel base bit longer which in turn will make more stable.

s&M are mint on anything .
 :daumenhoch:

Offline gary67

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:46 PM »
Pivotal seat and post,then i can buy yours :daumenhoch:Nice DB,looks great in black 8)

pedestrian

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:02 AM »

Lets discuss this.

36x13 is for the short legged Spen with zero pull. Idiotic Yankee style. Please donīt tell me you ride 175 mm too.  :shocked:

Go big or go home, motomag.
Itīs the original 44x16 or 43x16 with 180mm cranks. Monster pull on the straights, monster pull out of zee berms, brutal manual style, totally humiliating the comp!

Offline gavprimo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 01:39 AM »

Lets discuss this.

36x13 is for the short legged Spen with zero pull. Idiotic Yankee style. Please donīt tell me you ride 175 mm too.  :shocked:

Itīs the original 44x16 or 43x16 with 180mm cranks. Monster pull on the straights, monster pull out of zee berms, brutal manual style, totally humiliating the comp!

I'm actually just planning to go for a raz round the track, I'm not gearing up to enter the worlds

pedestrian

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 01:46 AM »

Lets discuss this.

I'm actually just planning to go for a raz round the track, I'm not gearing up to enter the worlds
:LolLolLolLol:

this is nerd discussion, gav.

Just have fun on the track. BMX racing rules. itīs the root movement of BMX.
Iīm a racer for more than 25 yrs now. I was oldschool, came to the midschool, now being newschool, still hitting the track. Even coaching the little poopers sometimes.
Send me PM for any questions race wise.  :daumenhoch:

Offline gavprimo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 02:14 AM »
Cheers fella, will do  ;)

motomagII

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 08:16 AM »

Lets discuss this.

36x13 is for the short legged Spen with zero pull. Idiotic Yankee style. Please donīt tell me you ride 175 mm too.  :shocked:

get fed idiot 36x13 is the same as 44x16 ,oh and i rode with 170 to 175 to 180 cranks not too bothered which

i said this originally as the guy has got a 13t frewheel already so its saving changing it
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:20 AM by motomagII »

Offline gavprimo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 04:37 PM »
OK so I have an update... watch this space abut midweek... ;)

Offline gavprimo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
got this on tuesday... :D  you'll see from Jaymz's latest post that we did a swap, my NG DB project for his RV

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:05 PM by gavprimo »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  racer rather than dirtbike - oooh look!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx