gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 07:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  diamond back
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: diamond back  (Read 2521 times)

pulsar_stu

diamond back
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Hi guys, are the newer diamond back bmx any good?

Was thinking of getting this one for my son.

It needs brakes, but that isn't an issue!

My son is 8yo and loves bmx's I've just bought him a cheap bmx, but would like to get him something half decent and start taking him to some skateparks etc to introduce him into the scene.

What bmx would suit him best? He's not big for his age, dosnt weigh a lot...

I want something he would be able to start throwing around...

Also what bmx would be best for me? I'm 6ft tall and weigh 18 stone lol
I've been seeing people mension large bmx's? 24" wheels or something like that?

I won't be chucking it about much, but lightweight and strong would be ideal!

I want to shed around 2 to 3 stones so eventualy I hope to be weighing around 15 stone lol

Thanks.

Stu.

P.s. do you think I would get away with a 20" wheeled bmx? :D

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: diamond back
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15 PM »
I would say no, it'll weigh a ton and put him off for life!

revcore

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:38 PM »
I'd have to say no as well. It would be worth saving a little more and buying something decent....Your son would then most likely grow up to be a life long BMX addict like we are.

pulsar_stu

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:48 PM »
Thanks guys.

What bike would be best?

I haven't looked at bmx's since the 80s so have no idea what's what nowerdays.

My son was impressed when I showed him my 80s bmx that I just bought lol

Should I just get him an 80s baike, they were lightweight, a redline, mongoose or skyway?
I know these bikes fetch a nice price these days, but I've seen a few advertised localy that need a resto. Up for sale around £80 to £120
Someone I know is selling a raliegh burner, red and gold. Its complete and just needs slight resto.
I can get it for £150. Is that a good price?
He says there was only 500 made?

Buying him an old 80s bike sounds like a good plan, as I can introduce him to fixing it up... I know I loved tatting with them when I was a kid. Kids seam to appreciate things more when they've built them lol

Any info or guidance would be greatly received!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 01:45 PM »
don't buy him an 80's bike...........if he's only 8 then i'd look at a new 18" bike as he will be able to 'chuck' it about a bit easier and learn quicker on it.

Have a word with Stodgy at the RADshop, he know all there is to know!  :daumenhoch:

pulsar_stu

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I will have a chat with him later :D

Has anyone heard of a baracuda bmx? This one has skyway tuff 2 mags on it.
The guy wants £75 for it. Worth it or not?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. As soon as I've sorted a bike out I'm sure my questions will get better lol

Thanks for your time guys.

elevensies

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:15 PM »
No that barracuda is a cheap cheap bike and the skyways are likely not to be skyways at all.
You need to think about the physical size and weight of the bike. Most 8 yr olds who are into bmx ride race bikes like redline haro intense and so on.
You need to do a bit more research, but your not looking in the right places. Check out winstanleys web site.
A burner only 500 made? Mm bit of topspin me thinks.
What Old skool bike you just bought?

elevensies

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Oh an 24" bikes are cruisers. They been around since the 80's too.

pulsar_stu

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 02:51 PM »
Thanks for that elevensies.

I've been looking at a few redline and haro, its knowing the right model to get. There's so many to choose from.
I'm guessing the smaller the tubing of the frame the better?

The bike I've just bought isn't the best of makes, but for the price I paid and the enjoyment I've had stripping it ready to rebuild its a good base to start off from again.
Its a marlboro zapper 1981

I had never heard of it before. But for £40 it will do until I find the right skyway or mongoose to tinker with lol

Thanks again for the help so far.

I will do some more research :-)

I'm planning on popping along to one of your meetings in leicester :) try and get some more info off you guys...

Rodgy1970

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Sounds like you need to buy yourself a bike to tinker with and your son a bike to ride, two different things.

The only 80's BMX I'd give a kid is a mini burner with 16" wheels, they are bullet proof and a younger kid will just ride it and not worry about image, once they get to about 8 they want the same type of bike their mates have which will most likely be a newish one as image starts to be a bit more important.

Buy a bike that suits his size, if he's a small 8 go for a 18" if he's bigger go for a 20"

If your on a budget check these out.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx'modelID=84239

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx'modelID=84239

Don't worry it'll probably get broken and you'll have to fix it.

elevensies

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:27 PM »
Thats sound advice.

If the bike makes you happy it doesn't matter what it is or looks like. Just enjoy.

pulsar_stu

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 07:34 PM »
I have decided to let my son have the 80s bike.
I have stripped it down, repainted it and built it back up. I will upgrade the brakes and let him have his fun on it.
He loves the bike and says he wants it. So why not :)
We just popped along to the local skate park, its a little small and compact, but should be a good start to see how he takes to it...

Tthe 80s bike isn't a show n shine bike! Wasn't intended for that, just a clean rider.

I will look for something better to restore for myself and as said by someone on this thread, fix my sons as and when he breaks it :)

Thanks for all the advice and links. I might just get him one of those bikes in the links, seam like a good bike for not a lot of money :)

lewisjb2002

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Hello mate, not sure where you are in the UK, just come across this bike on ebay, would be perfect for your lad as its 16inch wheels.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hoffman-bmx-bikes-/300744969120?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4605cc0ba0

Ending in an hour though but hey its just what you need

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  diamond back

gfxgfx
gfx gfx