gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Any tips for cleaning up the raw alloy base of a an early 80s Stem?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Any tips for cleaning up the raw alloy base of a an early 80s Stem?  (Read 651 times)

Clean

RADsters,

I am trying to resto a stem. The top clamp has gone away for a dose of powder from our very own SBD, and the base is a little grubby. Lots of oxidation and general grubbiness.  :-\

I was wondering if there are any insider tips beyond elbow grease and / or a polishing wheel?  ???

Would a dip in Oven Pride help things along?  ???

Anything else I could / should be doing?  ???

Thanks,

Clean.

(You would think with a name like that I would know better  :uglystupid2:)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
pic's  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
I've just done one, And there was quite a few marks/digs in it. Went over it with quite coarse paper, Then slightly finer. Then used a buffing wheel to get it smooth again. All the time being careful not to delete the MS-422. Then I used a fine foam wet/dry sanding pad, Then finished with Autosol.
I didn't want a mirror finish over polished finish.

Clean

In the end, impatient for responses, I gave the bugger a little bath in Oven Pride and five minutes later, one mint raw alloy stem! All oxidation, scuff marks etc. gone and nice dull raw alloy all ready for some elbow grease and Peek.

:daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Any tips for cleaning up the raw alloy base of a an early 80s Stem?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx