gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 09:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Wheel rim question, eyelets?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wheel rim question, eyelets?  (Read 350 times)

GaryN

Wheel rim question, eyelets?
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new here and to the BMX world but have noticed that it seems to be unusual for BMX rims to have eyelets fitted, is this the case or have I missed something?

If it is unusual does anyone know the reason as I would think that an eyeleted rim would be stronger than one without and I would imagine that a BMX wheel rim needs to be able to withstand a lot of abuse.

Well that's my observation for the day, does anyone have the answer?

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Wheel rim question, eyelets?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:10 PM »
Oldschool rims didn't have eyelets, but most modern rims these days do have eyelets.

GaryN

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28 AM »
In that case I will keep my eyes peeled.

Cheers.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:07 PM »
I think Stidds is confused, most modern BMX rims do not have eyelets ;)

This is taken from VintageBmx regarding specific rim types, but you get the idea.

Why is the Alienation Deviant/Runway combo better? Let me give you a few key points.

- Alienation uses 6061 T6 material vs. 6005. Meaning our yield & tensile strengths are higher, plus the temper is higher. In simple terms this equates to a solid build and the fact the wheel will hold its true longer. Our specs are in line with the Aluminum Association maximum. We’ve tested rims both theirs and our rims at an outside lab to verify specs.

- Ultimate Joint Tensile Strength per an Alienation welded rim is 3712.4 lbs. Sun is 1253.8 lbs. That means the Sun weld is that much weaker. We tested the rims at an outside lab to verify. Btw, the sleeved Deviant pulls well above 1200 lbs.

- Alienation drills its rims at 9 or 11 degrees vs. Suns’ 5.5. That means a more linear path for the spoke to travel from spoke-face to hub flange. Less bends means less undue stress on the spoke & nipple. Not to mention the nipples seats nearly 100% at the internal spoke bed which means the less likely the wheel will come untrue.

- Alienation has nearly double the spoke offset which offers greater lateral strength. Helps to complement the contour of profile as well.

- The Alienation Runaway uses a center-cross lace pattern which offers greater latter strength which is optimal for turns. Basically the wheel will deflect less with force applied. Too you have less tension on the overall wheel with this format.

- Eyelets; like or dislike. They function if you use the correct material as old Sun Rims had. That being a nickel plated brass. Those self lubricated. Today they aren’t the same. The main issue for us is the fact you must drill a much larger hole to insert the eyelet. That can cause obvious issues not to mention a massive stress riser. Plus they can come loose creating more havoc. Rattle and make noise. ALN chooses not use eyelets rather suggests some lube to prep the surface where the nipple meets the spoke face. Plus we save approximately 10 grams per rim by not using such.

- Weight; our combo (Deviant/Runaway) is 740 grams vs. 787 grams.

- Alienation rims are 30 mm (Deviant) & 31 mm (Runaway) wide vs. 28.5 mm. By far a greater strength to weight ratio.

- Most importantly is overall design. The Runaway is hands down a better performer under FEA testing. The lateral rigidity far exceeds that of other designs. The central I-beam is main reason.

Some background. I’m co-owner and founder of Alienation. Severed as the Vice President of Sun Rims / Sun Ringle from 1999 to 2006. I’ve designed over 40 rims in my career. Early in my career I built wheels for a living of which; I estimate at 12,000 plus hand built wheels. I’ll let you decide if I’m a solid source of information.

If you chose Sun I’m sure you’ll still be happy. They have a long history in BMX with an excellent reputation.

Zach Taylor

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:13 PM by Ron '2elliot' Burgundy »
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Mavic TTR rims had eyelets bitd but for old school they usually didn't have them until Sun came along around 84/85.  The Mavic TTR rims were around from about 82 onwards.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Wheel rim question, eyelets?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx