gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 04:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  **Spec Query** Roger Decoster Moto Mag
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: **Spec Query** Roger Decoster Moto Mag  (Read 1390 times)

skwaym4n

**Spec Query** Roger Decoster Moto Mag
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Can anyone tell me which parts are original or where I can find the original spec?? Photos ETC

This is a bike I am keeping and would like to get it politically correct.

The seat should be a padded Troxel shouldn't it??? The one in the pics is a velo but I also have A mint Troxel padded the same
Should it have a Mongoose stamped bottom bracket? The one on here looks to be a cheap after market jobby.
Should it have a Mongoose stamped headset?
Are the stem and bars correct? The bars appear to have lovely chrome underneath and have been painted with out keying!!!
Were the original tyres cheng shin?
What sort of grips would it of had???
The chain ring is stamped Sugino mongoose is that correct??
I have 2 types of seat post clamp 1 has mongoose the other doesn't which should the bike have?

What seat post would it of had??? this has a fluted ally one which I would have said would be later item as maybe the bars

Any help would be much appreciated

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:34 PM by skywaym4n »

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: **Spec Query** Roger Decoster Moto Mag
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:44 PM »
bobafett would be a good person to ask about this
and maybe stidds  :daumenhoch:

skwaym4n

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:47 PM »
bobafett would be a good person to ask about this
and maybe stidds  :daumenhoch:

cheers bud

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:53 PM »
can't help you with the spec.............. but its a lovely bike  :shocked:, i  :smitten: it  :daumenhoch:, one of the nicest all round bikes i've seen for a bit
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:01 PM by glenboy »

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Nice bike  :smitten:

Like Dave says PM Bobafett, he'll tell you all you need to know and probably a whole lot more besides .... like the name of the guy who welded it , the type of grease used on the freewheel for assembly and what colour knickers the tea lady was wearing on that day in the goose factory .

It might take you a while as he's not on here much at the mo due to him spending all his time playing a daft intergallactic star wars game on the PC  ::)  ::)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:12 PM »
I would leave it exactly as it is :daumenhoch:

A great bike,you are very lucky to have it :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolib

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:55 PM »
leave as is x2

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:35 AM »

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Great bike, I'd have that in a flash  :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:51 AM »

Nice DeCoster  :coolsmiley:

The spec changed from year to year on the DeCoster so it will depend on what year your frame is. They were available as frame only and in the wheel-less kit form Glynn has shown above and will also have been available from Schwinn resellers with varying complete bike specs.

The DeCoster, although made by mongoose is actually a Schwinn product. Often you will see them with the Schwinn chainwheel as shown in that kit form picture above.

But that has the right kind of look to it that you have there.

The seat would be a messinger not a troxel and would more than likey have had a "Schwinn approved" metal badge on the rear.

The grips you have are one of many types that Schwinn used - the ones you have and the ones in Glynn's pic where both used on Schwinns and were both made by Hunt Wilde - ones you have were called moto-x if i remember right. So all good there.

The gold stem Vs ashtabula stem is a personal preference thing really - both correct.

As it stands personally I'd change the seat for a messinger and maybe keep a look out for some better condition earlier version survivor Union rat trap pedals.

I'd probably go for a set of Schwinn scrambler tryes as well but that's personal preference again.

It's a crackin bike though mate with a real survivor vibe about it - the seat change is the only major one really.

But like i say they also came frame only so it's all good  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

skwaym4n

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:59 AM »
Thanks a Million I will try and source those bits but that has helped no end  :daumenhoch:

I will strip her down this week and give a little tidy up and get some more pics up but I am well chuffed with it  :smitten: it was the only bike out of that entire lockup that said something to me....  :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  **Spec Query** Roger Decoster Moto Mag

gfxgfx
gfx gfx