gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:47 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sun Mistral Rims and GT Hubs Restoration **UPDATED**
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sun Mistral Rims and GT Hubs Restoration **UPDATED**  (Read 3942 times)

renegaderacer

Sun Mistral Rims and GT Hubs Restoration **UPDATED**
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:06 AM »
My initial plans when rebuilding my Badlander was to use the wheels I'd had on it for the last 20+ years but decided to go for even older ones in the end.

However, I really liked these wheels and decided to rebuild them anyway and they're going on my Falcon Pro build now!

They are Sun Mistral rims on GT hubs.

They looked pretty bad to start with. The rims were scuffed and corroded and pretty worn but were straight and servicable but the hubs had seen better days. The chrome had all but come off completely from winter use and the thread on the front axle was damaged from an ill-fitting peg. It would've made a lot more sense to chuck the wheels and buy new ones but that's not what it's about, is it?  :daumenhoch:

Here are the wheels before I started on the Badlander....

I stripped the wheels down and started on the hubs first as they were the worst offenders. At this stage I should've binned them and bought some NOS ones but I'm a glutten for punishment!

I got them chromed but the alloy was so porous they had to be chromed 4 times and even then the flanges weren't perfect. I then dispatched them to Dan to powder the flanges old school white; the same colour as the Badlander. I got some new GT decals off Del and tried to put them back together!

Unfortunately, I'd mashed up the rear seals quite badly removing them and they were a nightmare to get back in! They even damaged the new powder so I had to carefully cut a ring of powder off the end of the flange to get rid of the damage but luckily, the chrome was good beneath it and it turned out fine! I eventually got the seals back in with a lot of help from a hammer, socket and pliers!

I had no luck tracking down a new front axle to replace the thread damaged one but again came up trumps. I bought a 3/8ths die and wound it down the thread and it cleaned it up like new!  :daumenhoch:

Next I turned my attention to the rims. After many hours rubbing down they started to look quite smart.

After I finished rubbing them down I polished them and took them to Malden Plating to get anodised. Unfortunately, they couldn't do it as the spoke holes had brass eyes and you can't anodise brass.

This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as there was corrosion around the spoke holes I couldn't completely get rid of which had caused crazing and that would've shown through the anodising.

I had a word with Dan and he did an amazing job powdering them in Raleigh Burner blue and an old school style red. I got some replica decals of Del which really finished them off nicely.

I then sent the whole lot off to my local bmx shop as I still can't lace wheels (wrapped in tons of bubble wrap! :LolLolLolLol:) with a big list of what I wanted.

When they phoned to say they were ready, I was amazed when I saw them! Believe me, they look a lot better in the flesh than in these pics!  ;D

I also had some custom FP dice caps made up in red and blue too by scotty b!

I bought some Comp ST copy tyres off this site from Ed209  but wasn't sure at first if they suited the colour of the wheels but when I loose fitted them to the chrome frame and forks of the Falcon Pro, they looked perfect! Again, they look nowhere near as good in these photo's as they do in real life!

The colours are a lot more vibrant in real life but hopefully that'll show up when I take pics of the finished bike!  :daumenhoch:

Hope you like them?

Cheers,

Giles  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:40 AM by renegaderacer »

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Sun Mistral Rims and GT Hubs Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:14 AM »
you ll have to go to paris and ride in the bastille day parade .. lol

seriously tho .. hats off to you.. look amazing !!

if i saw you rollin id give you love !!

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23 AM »

you could fookin try :knuppel2:

top job on the wheels they look  :coolsmiley:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:31 AM »

Nice work  ;)

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Excellent resto :daumenhoch:Star spangled wheelset lol, but dont think the tyres do anything for them wheels?

renegaderacer

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys!  :daumenhoch:

The tyres are a bit of a gamble but they do look a LOT better than the flat coloured, out of focus photo makes them out to be.  ;)

Hopefully, when I get them on the bike you'll see they go really well with the chrome.

If they really don't work out, I'll save the tyres for another build and get some more. The shop had them sitting on some black with white walls to protect them whilst they had them and that looked the nuts, so maybe.......

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:08 PM »

you could fookin try :knuppel2:

Fookin  :LolLolLolLol:

Not sure on the Tyres but the wheels look stunning mate, absolutely 1st class job :daumenhoch: :smitten:
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

rad_pitt

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:08 PM »
Great stuff - love seeing parts bought back from the dead, so much more satisfying  :4_17_5:

renegaderacer

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Just bought some white walls; so when they arrive I'll take pictures of the two differrent tyres on the bike and see what people think!  :daumenhoch:

Failing that, I've been tempted by a set of red and blue tyres!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:06 PM »
Nice restoration, and a nice sense of fulfilment every time you look at them ;)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 05:21 PM »
very nice, look amazing compared to what they were like :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

do i spy 2 standard pegs on the rear wheel in the first pic!

renegaderacer

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 05:26 PM »
They certainly are Standard pegs.  :daumenhoch:

I got them off Mike Mullen back in the day as I used to go to college with him. I think he had some Hoffman sponsorship at the time.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 05:34 PM »
cool are they for sale? yeah mike was sponsored by hoffman via shiners along with my mate little jim, all done through pete hawkins as he also had them sponsored by haro through shiners before shiners were hoffman distro

renegaderacer

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 05:42 PM »
Yeh, I'll sell them.

How does £15 posted (they weigh a ton  :LolLolLolLol:) sound?

They'll clean up nicely too!  ;)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02 PM »
you got a deal :daumenhoch:

pm me your paypal addy and ill fire the cash over

renegaderacer

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 06:21 PM »
PM'd  :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 10:01 PM »
as i've said giles they look amazing :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

renegaderacer

Re: Sun Mistral Rims and GT Hubs Restoration **UPDATED**
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 12:39 AM »
Here are some shots (again, not great) with the wheels loose fitted to the frame.

I think the tyres look a lot better when they're with the chrome frame.

I'll take some more pics when I get the black with white wall tyres.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sun Mistral Rims and GT Hubs Restoration **UPDATED**

gfxgfx
gfx gfx