gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  crisp brand new skyways or creamy off white originals?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: crisp brand new skyways or creamy off white originals?  (Read 856 times)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
crisp brand new skyways or creamy off white originals?
« on: February 20, 2012, 10:55 PM »
Hi everyone, need some advice I'm really close to finishing my first ever build.... an early 85 Haro Master. I've got all the correct parts for full factory spec build including NOS Blue Oakley B2s, and a NOS Blue Font Dominator but I'm really stuck what to do with the wheels ? :'(
 I can't seem to find any descent white skyways with a suntour coaster should I just bite the bullet and put a modern set on ?
What seems to be the done thing in these situations ? I'm a newbie on here and would appreciate any thoughts advice ? What does bleaching do to the wheels and how long does it last ? Is it worth it ?
cheers Antony
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: crisp brand new skyways or creamy off white originals?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:12 PM »
coaster tuffs in general are rocking horse doo doo.  I would hang out for a set if I was you or you will forever be looking for a set to replace your repop set.  Beaching seems to work well,  Just  make sure you cover the hubs in vaseline :daumenhoch:

Al Wyn

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:18 PM »
Will keep an eye out for some white coasters for you Anthony...you keep an ete out for some orange coasters for me ;) best bet is to grab a metal hubbed freewheel and fit a suntour coaster :daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Will certainly look out for you mate, thanks for the advice. I've got a lead to someone who has got a massive collection( over 40 bikes and he used to ride for a factory team) and I'm hoping to go down next month at somepoint and beg steal and borrow as much as I can, if and its a big if, he decides to finally let some thing go. :2gunsfiring_v1: Otherwise I guess it'll have to be the bleach and the marigolds for me :'(
Regards Antony

deeman

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:25 PM »
The old white tuff debate!!I was looking for the same as you for ages!!some alloy hubbed white tuffs with suntour coaster.They are rare as hell and go for silly money.I went through 5 sets of wheels.first a set of white repro tuffs with freewheel.then a set of off white acorns with coaster that i had no luck bleaching.then a set of white acorns with coaster.then another set of white repro tuffs with fleccy hole and freewheel(only bought for tyres really).i kept a white acorn as i thought the coaster would fit a tuff but it doesnt.i then bought another black tuff with a coaster off ebay but it turned out it had a freecoaster conversion.i settled eventually on a set of white ally hub tuffs with a freewheel and have completely given up on idea of a coaster now.a nos set of white ally hubbers with coaster went for 300 ponds odd last time i saw them on ebay!!if you are going to ride the bike you are better off with new tuffs,they come with a bendix and not a suntour coaster though which are not quite as good.phew!!hope this helps!! :daumenhoch:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Hold out for the proper thing, they are about, I must have had about 7 sets of them over the years, I always found as soon as I brought a set, another set would turn up  ::)

So even if you see a $hit set, buy them & another set will turn up  :)

They can go for silly money but the last two sets I sold went for £155 & £180 & they were pretty mint  :-\

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:29 PM »
I spent a few years trying to get some coaster wheels and within the last 3 months I have picked up a set of White, Black and Araya all with coasters,  Hang out for them :daumenhoch: they do come up :4_17_5:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:14 PM »
Cheers for the advice everybody...what's right is right :-[ I'm going to hold out... I'm building a show pony so its a no brainer I guess, I just got be patient and go for originals.
Thanks again everyone :smitten:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  crisp brand new skyways or creamy off white originals?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx