gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:52 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dumb question??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dumb question??  (Read 3331 times)

Mdbh

Dumb question??
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Hi all I've just got my 91 shredder and trying to strip og paint off the frame and forks and nitro mors is not touching it any ideas?

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Dumb question??
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:37 PM »
It could be powder coated, what do you intend doing with it ?

There is a thread on here somewhere about using gasket remover to strip powder  :daumenhoch:

Or get it sand blasted  ???

Mdbh

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:41 PM »
It's defo not powder it's to thin and there's a under coat, it's getting powder coated which I know then will blast it anyway but I just wanted to see it in raw and take a couple of pics

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:54 PM »
I got a couple of frames at the mo and one has started to come off and the other is not touched with nitromors - i used the new spray on stuff - SHITE 
going back to a old tin

i would say keep the frame warm and the paint soft - i was working out in the cold and it was tough going

any things else shift just paint not powder ?
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Mdbh

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 02:26 PM »
The wife has let me do it in the kitchen! I've kept all the metal warm and the nitro mors is brand new it's not touched the frame it's taken the top cost of the forks but the white under coat will not budge!

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:31 PM »
the new/shop stock of nitro is weaker than back in the day  ::) making you buy more  :tickedoff:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Mdbh

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Weak isnt the word!

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 02:54 PM »
 ;D i got stronger piss -  ???  might try that  ;D

Mdbh

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 03:12 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

splodge

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 04:25 PM »
The new stuff is crap, due to health & safety they had to change the ingredients so 'it doesn't sting if you get it on your skin' I heard, Its paint stripper FFS!  :rant:

The old stuff would blister the paint within minutes, this stuff works sort of ok if you leave it on nice & thick for 20-30 mins or so, then re apply. It takes ages to work through the paint but it does start to work eventually.

Its just something else in the world today that doesn't work as well as the old days. Mars bars dont taste like they used to as they had to cut down the glucose, a case of beer used to be 24 cans for £15 now its 12 cans for £15, you could fly from London to New York in 3 & half hours now its 7 hours, me not likey this new world.  :'(

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 06:44 PM »
The company that manufactures Nitromors removed the 'dichloromethane' that gave it its strength, other brands had to go the same way because of a Health and Safety European directive. :knuppel2:

The new stuff is crap, as I found out myself.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Mdbh

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Right then next question with out getting blasted how can I get it raw with damaging the metal?I can imagen sanding will take ages

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Took my frame to a metal polishers and they stripped it for 45 quid.!
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 07:24 PM »
This stuff is very good  :daumenhoch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280712339831'ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And you can re-use it again and again  :daumenhoch:

Helps a lot if the parts are warm (as if you were doing it in summer or in side)

I've also used the gasket stuff..........works on some frames but not on others  :-\
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 07:53 PM »

Just a thought. What about putting the Nitromores on - then wrapping it in Clingfilm and leave it overnight, but dont let the Nitromores dry out?  :-\

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 08:10 PM »
If it is cold paint stripper doesn't work very well so if the part is in the cold shed or garage then it won't strip as good.

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 08:29 PM »
been trying again - fooking shite - fooking cold - fooking waste of time - fooking waste of money  :tickedoff: 

and the stuff is green now - do you can see where it is not working  ::)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Permatex Gasket remover  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Nitromores is shite these days. I had to restore an Edwardian staircase recently and the supposed extra strength stuff was bobbins. Found some stuff at a local pound shop (it was 2.50 ::) ) which was much more like the paint stripper i remembered using as a nipper. If you dont mind the work, a stanley knife dragged at 90 degrees to the tube will take it off but be careful!  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Permatex Gasket remover  :daumenhoch:

OK so the question is - the difference between powder and paint when looking at it and how it looks when chipped ?  it's because when doing the two frames - one was easy to start to shift until it went to a gulp - the other is harder than nails to shift - but has a paint look and not a plastic look ?

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 09:59 PM »
It matters not if you are tooled up correctly. Nitromors - 20 mins - scrape with a new stanley blade, then move to course wire wool dipped in nitromors .

Permatex is quicker but will set you back another £25
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 10:14 PM »
well i had the new stuff on for 30 min (was in the cold) and it did fook all  ::)

the frame is part chrom under and i wanted to not mark it too much  >:(

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 10:21 PM »
I went to a local car body shop and bought some airplane chemical stripper and it works a treat on paint and most powdercoat, I think it cost me £10 for 5 litres.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dumb question??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx