gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 03:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  KHE premium lagger fork/headset help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: KHE premium lagger fork/headset help  (Read 10070 times)

m1ke

KHE premium lagger fork/headset help
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:42 PM »
got a lagger off the bay a while ago and it came with a normal aheadset set up but i noticed it had old style headset underneath so i took the stem off to find stem was way to big and was clamped onto the thread of the forks  :-X anyway i got as stem off ebay 1" ahead and that came today  8) went to put it on and its still to big  :wtf: so im a bit annoyed and stuck as to what is going on  :(

bof

Re: KHE premium lagger fork/headset help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:00 PM »
I may be wrong but thought the early laggers  where old school type 1" threaded.  Have you got any pictures.

m1ke

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:12 PM »

sorry for shoite blackberry pic, lower is threaded  top is clear  :idiot2: also the inside ofg the fork is threaded for some form of top cap  :buck2: forks are not khe look like kore copys but are 14mm dropouts and this funky headset set up  :(

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Looks like a normal 1" threaded headset with a 1" clamp on stem?

2 minutes turkish...

m1ke

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:27 PM »
the stem ive just got is 1" and fully tightened its got a 2mm gap all the way around  :(

bof

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Yeh looks like it needs an old school 1" headset type lock nut and then a 1" clamp on stem  :daumenhoch:

bof

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:30 PM »
the stem ive just got is 1" and fully tightened its got a 2mm gap all the way around  :(

Are you sure you have bought a 1" ahead stem , i would imagine they are pretty hard to come by ?

m1ke

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 09:35 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270897024671'ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

was recomended it off dannywhac, who uses it on his  :( the inside across measures 2.5cm but the top of the fork measures 2.3cm and ive tightened the stem as far as it will go and it still loose

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 09:36 PM »
that looks to be smaller than 1in, once the thread finishes it looks like the tube tapers in

all 1in clamp on forks ive seen look like this

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=48023.0

12th & 13th pic down

m1ke

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 09:48 PM »
yeah kev it does indeed get wider at the thread  :( think i might whack either a 1" quil set up on it or a modern set up using the bearing conversion

bof

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Try a quill stem inside it and if it fits , cut the top off the forks . \or you could make a shim to match your 1" stem to the fork width SJS  cycles do this adaptor that is 2.2mm thick it will need modifying a bit but it could work if the width is right
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m:part-ahead-stem-shim-adapts-1-1-8-inch-286-mm-to-1-inch-254-mm-prod3618/

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 10:09 PM »
The old 1" aheads do fit on the late 90's KHE forks - will pop a piccy up tomoz of mine - they should have a cap on top of the forks (not a compression cap) normally with an odd threaded - as the stem's not holding the headset in place, a shim from a can of a beverage of your choice would do to hold the bars?, massively sorry though fella if your's are a tad different :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 11:29 PM »
KHE did that 1" threaded/clamp on thing for ages & I'm sure the top of the steerer isn't 1", I can't remember the size & I sold My old Beater set up to a member on here a while ago so can't measure it for You, and I don't think They come on here now either. Also I don't think You can cut the top of the steerer tube & put a quill stem in there as it's pretty thick tubing & the i.d is too small. 
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

m1ke

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 09:10 AM »
yeah there is no chance a quil stem will fit  :2gunsfiring_v1: looks like im on the hunt for new forks as these stem sound like rocking horse droppings  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 09:18 AM »
You have 4 choices here.

No1- fit the correct stem. Which is fooking rare as khe were the only ones to make it.

No2- get a machined sleeve with a slit up it made. Similar to a seat post shim. You may be able to use one of those if you can find one the correct size. Or if one is similar get it machined down. You would probably be better fitting an 1"1/8th clamp on stem so your shim is a bit thicker. It's hard to say without the bits in your hands.

No3- do a headset conversion and fit 1"1/8th forks with a 1"1/8th stem. Using 1" cups and a selection of 1"1/8th hard wear.

No4- fit another pair of 1" threaded forks, headset,& stem.

I hope this helps. Stu :daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 09:25 AM »
The shim route would be the easiest and quickest option. Just take the forks and the stem you want to use to an engineering shop. It will probably cost around £10 to make. And quicker than its taken me to write these two posts!  :LolLolLolLol:

YGT

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 09:33 AM »
I can tell you that officially (since I worked with KHE at the time) this is not a fork for a 1" stem.

Its a bit smaller, and I may even have a original stem that came on them.
At the time it was a total mess, as KHE had developed this "system" and other brands like Hoffman and Dragonfly were looking to pump out 1" Aheadset forks, while other brands like S&M and Standard had stepped up to full 1.1/8" .... Unfortunately, bounced between all of them as time passed.

At 1 point, I had an shim that allowed a 1.1/8" to fit on these type of forks .....
I still have these forks somewhere .....

m1ke

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 09:35 AM »
thanks for the reply people ygt id be very interested to any more info you have as ideally id like to get it all original as it seems to be a right odd ball set up and rare  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Just double checked mine and it is less than 1" - I've got a 1" ahead with a shim and a KHE stem kicking round. Apologies for that fella, if you want I'll bung you the £9 for the stem from the bay as it was me that guided you to it :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

m1ke

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 12:12 PM »
cheers for the offer mate, but its ok ill try and source the khe holy grail stem but in the mean time im gonna pop a 1" threaded set up with quil stem off my dyno compe on it and try n find a true 1" ahead set up  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 01:09 PM »
I've got some brand new 1" aheadset forks with 990 mounts, full offset dropouts though so more suited to all round riding rather than all out flatland. Also a new 1" aheadset with heavy duty cups. I may be persuaded to part with them, they were to go on My 1" Lagger!

m1ke

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 01:16 PM »
have you any pics please mate   :4_17_5:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Can get some, might be a day or Two though  :daumenhoch:

m1ke

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 07:07 PM »
thanks for the offer fugazi but im sorted for forks now thanks to dannywhac  8) 8) 8)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 10:00 PM »
any chance of a pic of your lagger??? got a soft spot for german engineering

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  KHE premium lagger fork/headset help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx