gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:35 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Hub Problems
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GT Hub Problems  (Read 686 times)

renegaderacer

GT Hub Problems
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:26 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm in need of a little bit of help here, please.

I've almost finished rebuilding my old high flange 48, unsealed, GT  hubs from around the late 80's to very early 90's era.

Unfortunately, I damaged the bearing cover when I was stripping the rear hub and I completely fooked it putting it back in! (As you can tell, this is my first hub rebuild!)

If I take it back out and try and kinda straighten it with a large socket and a vice, will this suffice or can you get new covers from GT or any other donor hub?

I really don't want to give up at this stage as it's cost me way much more than they're worth to restore already!  :uglystupid2:

Any help or suggestions much appreciated!!!  :daumenhoch:

Cheers,

Giles  ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:34 AM by renegaderacer »

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: GT Hub Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 02:48 PM »
You can replace them rubber seals (same on Peregrines) if you find a sealed bearing with the same size seals on it - 50p and you've got yourself the seals :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

renegaderacer

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys.

Unfortunately the rear seal is bigger than the front one so it probably won't fit but thanks for the offer.  :daumenhoch:

Where abouts would be the best place to pick up a cheap sealed bearing?

The ones on the hubs are like a rounded, brass washer which sits on top of a rubber seal. Sorry, I can't really describe it any better. I'll get a picture up later which will make more sense. I'm sure I can make something fit if I can't get the right thing!  ;)

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:53 PM »
Like this one (front and back pic):

You can straighten em out by popping on a flat surface metal side up and like you said, use a socket to flatten them back out again :)

If it doesn't work, lmk and give me the outer and inner dimensions of the seals and I'll have a look through the bearings I've got to see if their seals are the same dimensions - you can pick up sealed bearings off eBay for next to nowt :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

renegaderacer

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 05:04 PM »
Cheers bud,

I'll give that a go when I get back!  :daumenhoch: ;D

renegaderacer

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Success!  ;D

After about an hour of re-shaping with a vice, socket and hammer, the covers fit in now and it doesn't look too bad!

Thanks for the replies guys and I'll definately remember that tip with the sealed bearing covers.  :daumenhoch:

Giles

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Hub Problems

gfxgfx
gfx gfx