gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 03:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Red Tuffs restoration...who's the man...??!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Red Tuffs restoration...who's the man...??!!  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
Red Tuffs restoration...who's the man...??!!
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Just checking out that red Tuff restoration thread...I would like these sorting but unsure as to who on here is the best (& cheapest!) for the job...?

Rear

Front

Any info/help is most welcome.

Richard

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: Red Tuffs restoration...who's the man...??!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:23 PM »

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:33 PM »

Need you say more...!! ;D Thanks bud!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:34 PM »
I'd sell them.........................................to me  >:D
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

rad_pitt

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 06:26 PM »
They're in great nick mate - don't need anything drastic. Just remove the brake rub. The colour looks good too  :-\

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Yeah but what the camera hasn't highlighted very well is that there is a small amount of staining to a couple of areas... So looking to get it all removed.

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:36 PM »
They look like my old wheels  :'( Wish I never sold them  ::) Recognize the front brake  rub  :D

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:41 PM »
They look like my old wheels  :'( Wish I never sold them  ::) Recognize the front brake  rub  :D

Well as they say, its a small world...or should that be community...?? :)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Right as i see it - (just a quick read  ??? :shocked:)

Brake rub - can be taken off - with chemicals or razor -

Chems might whiten the rim edge as it takes out the colour with what you are using and so will get rid of the brake rub but leave you with a discoloured rim edge Razor will remove the Brake rub,but will also take a layer off of the edge - this will also show new and a clean colour - you will need to sand down to a smooth finish as you will get razor judder - this is where you hand take the bounce of the blade edge and will make a ripple in places - now you have a clean edge colour but need to match up the rest of the mag !

stains and grease marks -

Grease will soak into the plastic/nylon of the wheel - some will come out with a wash ~ hand wash or machine wash (hotter and longer) but some will always show - this comes from oil on a chain or a grease up hub ~ this flicks off onto the wheels and stains it by allowing it to soak in ~ with time dirt discolours it and turns it dark - hence the marks you can see !
Stains, some will be from every day use and can come out in the wash - some times it's what has been used to try and clean the wheel in the first place - bleaches will discolor it in places or turn the whole wheel a lighter shade

Sanding - you could just sand the edge of the rim - using different grades of paper and taking it down till it's baby smooth will work - but once again it will show new colour to the rest of the wheel - sanding down the whole of the wheel takes a long time and effort - this can be done but most of you can't wait - this is when mistakes ca be made - missing a grade of paper can add time to the job or mess up what you have done - each grade of paper takes out lines of the past paper used - starting with too lower/rougher paper will put more hair lines in and be harder to get out - start with some thing that takes off the brake rub / stain without scratching in lines - time taken will lead to a better job
Wet and dry - use water when getting to higher grade w/d paper, it will glide better and give better results - use a wet sponge to wash off and see what the result is and so you can see where to go next ~ the whole wheel can get wet as you can re grease it all later

corner bits - sand paper coned up - a razor - scalpel blade - all will get into the corner bits ~ but it's how you  use it that the results will show - go slow and gentle

Alloy Hubs - you can polish up or leave as is - some times if you bleach a wheel, it will tarnish the alloy hub - you can get a light polish and rub gentle, this will take some of it off - a green scourer will buff it up and bit and take the tarnish off - the green scourer will bunch up and polish more the older it gets and depending on/ if you use a polish with it - you can polish up the whole hub and make it look to a mirror/chrome look - use peek and a green scourer pad to start it off - them use peek and a cloth ~ this takes time but you will get a good result - to finish use a Goddards cleaning/polishing cloth and work in/rub hard for the best results (tape off plastic/nylon part of the wheel as the polish comes off black and will get you clean newly done rims dirty again - cleaner will get most off, if you do so )

Dying - i'm not going to get too deep into this - amount of water used in a certain volume of container to amount of dye used to amount of time and heat = will all change how the colour turns out - it's very hard to match the colours used back in the day - even if the dye colour is so close, the amount of heat + water volume + time in, will all change it
Colour - dylon dyes were made back in the day when there were a certain standard of colours used in industries - nowadays companies need to make new colours to keep things moving and clients happy - a slightly different shade of green to not be looking like 20 years ago and to keep it all fresh - dylon dyes are very close to the colours back in the day - now not sold any more are the dylon MP tins - these are best used - find out what other members have done when dying mags and what works best - do you homework !

in all it takes time to work on mag wheels - some methods will be different to each other depending on make and how much nylon to plastic they have - not all marks will come off ~ time has taken it's toll on them and will never release it hold - you will never get them just like they left the shop ~ you may get close !
These mags are over 25 years old in some cases and been used, so that all adds up to some dirty old wheels that have just had a good life and been used for what they were intended for !

if there not perfect ? does it matter ? you can leave a wheel as it is and it will look cool, as every body knows what a wheel went through over the ages and that shows - you can restore a wheel as far as it can go - a clean, a wash, a sand, a dye, a polish ? will all show you had a go and the end result will look good as well cos you know you tried or just like them looking a bit better, all depending on what you put into it and how it was done -if you want perfect wheels ~ buy a NOS set that haven't been used or fitted

sun damage - water - grease - chemicals - knocks and scrapes - heat - cold - wear and tear use ~ all will show up on a wheel - some you can get off - some you can hide - some will always show.

back to the wheels above - you can remove the brake rub - chems or razor ?- the grease spots will always show even with a dye - if you wash the colour may disappear a little bit depending on age of wheel and condition !    re-dying - you may get close in colour but it will never be 100%
me, i would get the brake rub off with a razor or sand it off - then smooth it - one tin of red dye (three to choose from ?) and just clean up from there - they look alright from a distance and when riding on the bike will not notice the grease spots too much until still

hope this helps a little bit - this is just my finding and other members will have different methods to mine and get different results

in the end - if you want them perfect buy NOS - if not them work to the best of you ability and enjoy bring back some to life and that can look cool again - hard work shows the fakes from the pro's  ;)

cheers B
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 01:55 PM »
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 06:32 PM »
I would have them back if u wanna sell them  ::) theres a restored set just gone up 4 sale in the sale thread  :D just a thought thats all  :daumenhoch: lmk  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Red Tuffs restoration...who's the man...??!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx