gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 06:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  my DP freetyler build/resto
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: my DP freetyler build/resto  (Read 7340 times)

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
my DP freetyler build/resto
« on: November 22, 2011, 04:30 PM »
thought i had better get some pictures up of my DP. my original bike from bitd, was out of my hands for the best part of 12 years, but managed to track it down and buy it back :) unfortunately i think it spent most of those twelve years outside in a garden as the chrome isnt in the best of states. although now stripped, the components fitted are what i rode with, with the exception of the ammaco ladder bars that i just bought.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: my DP freetyler build/resto
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 04:35 PM »

Always cool to have your original bike (Wish I had mine  :'( )

Most lads on here would give their left nut for their old bike back, so well done - you've done it with your nuts intact  :LolLolLolLol:

Have fun with the build  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:03 PM »
^^^^ What he said ^^^^^ :LolLolLolLol:

Seriously, that's great you have your original bike back. My brother's labourer bought PeterJ's original Ammaco at a car boot sale about 2 years ago and when Pete found out it was deffinitely his, I think he'd have paid for Kylie and Dannii to call round for half an hour if that's what it would have cost to get it back :shocked:

Do not buy anything NOS for this build if you can help it, restore every nut and bolt if you can as it will be awesome :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

rad_pitt

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Great that you've found your old bike mate. Looking forward to seeing it come back to life  :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Take your time and enjoy the restore :daumenhoch:

lk_97

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Very cool to have your original bike :daumenhoch: cool that it's the 999th one too ;)

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 05:36 PM »
cheers guys, im torn between keeping it as it is, or having it re-chromed.. originally had a set of silver araya aero's bitd, but just bought some rider condition silver 7X's. im replacing the crank i had on it (new school haro arms and cd disc) as i want to make it period again, but ideally with stuff that i ran at some point. got some of the re made mx1000 but really disappointed with them as in the pictures they didnt look like the MX logo was a sticker.... ho hum. if i get enough bits turn up for it, i may try and make the london ride on it!

lk_97

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 06:13 PM »
cheers guys, im torn between keeping it as it is, or having it re-chromed.. originally had a set of silver araya aero's bitd, but just bought some rider condition silver 7X's. im replacing the crank i had on it (new school haro arms and cd disc) as i want to make it period again, but ideally with stuff that i ran at some point. got some of the re made mx1000 but really disappointed with them as in the pictures they didnt look like the MX logo was a sticker.... ho hum. if i get enough bits turn up for it, i may try and make the london ride on it!

Just clean the chrome mate, and put the parts you had bitd on it :daumenhoch:

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 06:22 PM »
 :shocked: cool to get your own bike back  :daumenhoch: look forward to seeing her finnished

deeman

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 10:29 PM »
sweet mate,cant beat a bitd build,i was lucky enough to get a nos f and f of my old bike,but id still give my left bollock to have my actual original f and f!ccant wait to see more pics :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 08:50 AM »
thought i had better get some pictures up of my DP. my original bike from bitd, was out of my hands for the best part of 12 years, but managed to track it down and buy it back :) unfortunately i think it spent most of those twelve years outside in a garden as the chrome isnt in the best of states. although now stripped, the components fitted are what i rode with, with the exception of the ammaco ladder bars that i just bought.

Liking the Kuwi forks.   :daumenhoch: :4_17_5:

Offline webbie

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Good luck with the build mate i would clean the chrome and build it as you had it bitd  :daumenhoch: i cleaned my firebird with coke and foil and was more than happy with the result :)

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 02:22 PM »
after assessing the state of the chrome, i decided to go for the good ol' coke and foil job. the chrome has too many fine marks, nicks to go OTT on it.
rear are some before and after shots :)

also just had my rider condition silver 7X's turn up cheers RADRAT :)

ultrasham241

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 03:04 PM »
spot on! cool to get your old bike back!! chrome looks to of come up good to!

good luck with the build! :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Looks well mate, it's amazing how you can remember the parts you had on your bike from yonks ago. I'd love to replicate my 1st BMX, but it's a Piranha, so maybe not. :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:06 PM »
well time for some more pics! the bike is pretty much finished apart from some white wall tyres that are on order. big thanks to FIREBIRD for the decals. once on, they somehow managed to look 20 years old as the chrome shows through so well chuffed! ditched the horrible haro fusion CD disk and generic arms for some minty TAKAGI ones courtesy of STRIKEY, tioga mount courtesy of SWIVEL and TAKAGI chain wheel and bolts from YOUNGY. Silver araya 7X courtesy of RAD RAT. thanks alot guys :)

now gone, replaced with

good used acs stem

rad_pitt

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Looks great Matt - came up a treat  :4_17_5:

Can't help thinking a nice pair of tan walls/ ramp tyres would look the biz on her  :)

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21 PM »
cheers :) will see what the white walls look like when they are fitted, may even do the rims and stem black to continue the chrome black theme, but will wait and see

rad_pitt

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 03:24 PM »
cheers :) will see what the white walls look like when they are fitted, may even do the rims and stem black to continue the chrome black theme, but will wait and see

Good shout  :4_17_5: looking forward to seeing it.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 03:35 PM »

I think this would work better too mate imo, and maybe some black hubs also?? :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 04:19 PM »
wanders off to find some aerosol paint....

Deano

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 12:45 AM »
What a result in getting it back after so long  :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

The chrome on that is in a better state than when i got mine, i also got new decals as the old ones were ruines tbf and firebird steve hadnt seen mine in red before so was very happy to help as usual. I bought a few nos parts but everything i could save and use i did and thankfull for it now.

Imo it has to be whitewalls on a dp freestyler  ;) black used mx1000's come up all the time and one rear wont cost that much aprox £80?
Plans sound great and ill defo be keeping an eye on this badboi

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 01:04 AM »
Now there is a transformation :smitten: :smitten:

Got to agree with the rest about the tyres :wtf:

maybe some of these would be sweet

http://www.porkchopbmx.com/Comp-ST-tread-BMX-FREESTYLE-tire-20-X-175-BLACK-164-20175-BLACK.htm?categoryId=-1

I think I have the adjuster for the top of your ACS stem.  If I have I will bring it to London on Sunday :daumenhoch:

Oh Pull the bars back a bit or it will feel like jelly when you ride her :daumenhoch:

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 07:19 PM »
well after a few evenings hard work, and a banging headache from paint fumes its done! decided to do the acs stem black, and did the rims too. that and the white wall tyres turned up and its transformed the look of the bike  :daumenhoch:

Offline webbie

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Cool  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  my DP freetyler build/resto

gfxgfx
gfx gfx