gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stripping tuffs of cheap paint Progress update
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: stripping tuffs of cheap paint Progress update  (Read 948 times)

oldskooldayz

stripping tuffs of cheap paint Progress update
« on: October 01, 2011, 01:33 PM »
Right peeps just a quick one

I got these tuffs from steve today and just wanted to know what strips cheap paint cheaply quickly without damaging the wheels and nothing thats gonna damage the hub please

any help welcome

cheers

Pic of the wheels ( sorry steve used your pic hope you dont mind  :daumenhoch: )

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:52 PM by oldskooldayz »

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: stripping tuffs of cheap paint
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Media blast or water based paint stripper i would have thought would be ok.
celulose thinners if its rattle cans should work too  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:09 PM by oldschoolace »
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

oldskooldayz

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Will try paint stripper  as it's the easiest to get along with thinners
I don't know who doesthis media blasting round here but will look into it as an option
I actually want the wheels to stay old and faded Si paint stripper is probably the best bet for now

Cheers for te reply bud  :daumenhoch:

Threaders

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:39 PM »
Mate, I am using nitromorse on those red tuffs I bought from you, and it works fine. I wouldnt leave the stuff on them over night, but I put some on those red tuffs and left them for an hour (kept checking them) and the paint just wiped off.
I was speaking to the guy at the diy shop and he said that new nitromorse is not as aggresive as the old stuff, Just try a bit on a small area, keep your eye on it and as soon as the paint bubbles up, wipe off.
I tried everything else, oven cleaner, brake fluid dot 4, thinners, gas, the list goes on, but nitromorse was the only thing that worked. Didnt try media blasting, but was told it has to be soda or water anything else can be to harsh.
Best of luck mate :)

oldskooldayz

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:55 PM »
Mate, I am using nitromorse on those red tuffs I bought from you, and it works fine. I wouldnt leave the stuff on them over night, but I put some on those red tuffs and left them for an hour (kept checking them) and the paint just wiped off.
I was speaking to the guy at the diy shop and he said that new nitromorse is not as aggresive as the old stuff, Just try a bit on a small area, keep your eye on it and as soon as the paint bubbles up, wipe off.
I tried everything else, oven cleaner, brake fluid dot 4, thinners, gas, the list goes on, but nitromorse was the only thing that worked. Didnt try media blasting, but was told it has to be soda or water anything else can be to harsh.
Best of luck mate :)

Cheers i will give it a go then, ive got myself some paint stripper but it just seems to make it go gooey
i was looking at the nitro morse in the shop as well and thought it may be too harse

how are the reds looking now then any pics ?

cheers  :daumenhoch:

oldskooldayz

Re: stripping tuffs of cheap paint PROGRESS REPORT
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Well as stated i started to strip these puppies last week with paint stripper and its a slow process man

again a week later and another shot at the paint stripper has scored a better result but still no kookie

what i seem to be left with is a lot of carbon build up as the wheels look like they had a very easy life of just sitting doing nothing but the elements defo had a ride on them in that time

now i have tried to take this stuff back and it does reveal a nice blue wheel but im useing a razor blade and its very slow

media blasting is an option im considering if i can find out who does it local to me but im in no rush

anyways here are some pics to show how they now look and i must say i am very happy to have a set of alloy hubbed early blue tuff at the end of it

any info on what i can do to get them back to the real deal is welcome but i dont want to dye them as i want old looking faded tuffs

cheers

LAST WEEK

THIS WEEK

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: stripping tuffs of cheap paint Progress update
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:05 PM »
What paint stripper did you use?

oldskooldayz

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24 PM »
mangers is the brand as i didnt want to use anything to strong its a paint and varnish stripper

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 10:46 PM »
i nitromoors'd a yellow tuff that had grey paint on, got the paint off, but the rim is stained a bit from the paint, might try bleaching before dying.
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stripping tuffs of cheap paint Progress update

gfxgfx
gfx gfx