gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 03, 2024, 02:08 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Hersden to close Old Skool class
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hersden to close Old Skool class  (Read 17772 times)

TK The Mic

Hersden to close Old Skool class
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:27 PM »
The last two rounds of Hersden's Summer Series will be the last where Old Skool racing takes place. The class was going to be dropped at the beginning of this year but our arm was twisted in toi keeping it, but sadly the support has gone.
This is a shame for 3 riders who have raced all our races so far this year (Russell, Andy and James), these guys have been told and will be racing either Masters or Cruiser from 2012, the rest of you guys Im afraid blew it somewhat.

The last race meeting for OS will be on 18 September .  :'(

TK

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Hersden to close Old Skool class
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:31 AM »
no suprise really  :( but its a shame for those that have seen it this year and are building bikes for next year now its not happening,

what happens if we turn up but dont want to race in masters ?
we pay more to to race than any other class except cruiser
and to be honest i dont want to race against 17yr olds that can woop me so i guess i wont be racing any more,

andy
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:40 AM by 58delray »

sonic-1

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:22 PM »
just a little gutted  :'( yes i have built a N/S cruiser but to be honest im not hugly keen on racing in that class !!!!! hell i even get whuped in o/s , for me its about having a o/s bike and having a play on it ......... but have no where to actualy race it now !!!!!
so the way forward is ?????? well its going to take a little thought !!!!! hersden is the only track in kent thats not to extream for o/s bikes , all the new tracks (fowmead,cyclopark) are of the huge big jumps extream type so unless yer goin to risk it not the ideal option , but i cant see them even considering having o/s class

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:56 PM »
'tis a shame as it was the only place my Redline ever got an airing but the rationale behind the withdrawal is understandable.  I suspect too that there will be a decline in income for the club as the OS guys were somewhat part of the mainstay of finance and didn't moan that they were charged more than most of the other classes and if they withdraw their support then I suspect their kids will follow slowly follow suit "if dad's not racing".  Just leaves a few events to roll the OS bikes around at, like MK and the B'mth 30 years.  We had some great times in the heyday of OS revival at Hersden.  RIP the Old Skool class.  Humps

lk_97

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Is there an old school class anywhere else in England?

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Hope the decision has been thought through and not bulldozed through. Its a real shame! Still cant see the need to drop the class imh.
I would normally be screaming for you to change your mind and try and rally the troops but to be honest its just not possible financially anymore for us to support it, and I suspect most others are in the same boat.

At least the old school haters got their way :-\

Real shame :(

Good luck to all at Hersden, we will try and pop down as and when we can afford too.
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:47 PM »
yep up north  :daumenhoch:

lk_97

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 07:56 PM »

Cheers  :daumenhoch: where abouts?

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:58 PM »
tut tut...

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:00 PM »

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:10 PM »

The next race is 28th August at Manchester's new indoor track. We usually get at least two full (ish) gates and a good vibe.  :daumenhoch:

lk_97

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:44 PM »

The next race is 28th August at Manchester's new indoor track. We usually get at least two full (ish) gates and a good vibe.  :daumenhoch:

Thanks :daumenhoch: I'll start when the new season starts hopefully,, so I at least have a chance, and might not come last  ;D is it always in manchester or do we find out where abouts when the new season starts? Also, what license do I need and how does it all work? Like numbers, points system? What happens when the person wins the season? Sorry for all the questions but I've never done it before, and is there a certain age you have to be? I'm only 14...

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:56 PM »
It's a real shame Hersden Old School is coming to an end, I really loved racing there.

Unfortunately times change and they certainly have done for me, I can't believe how many clashes I have had this year with wedding etc. On the same day of the racing and having a young family means spending the whole day there on the Sunday makes it too difficult to make it, however I did some racing travelling 2 hours each way and loved it.

I'm sorry to let the Hersden team down, I wish you all the success fir the future, it's such a cool track I'm sure you will do well!

Ben

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:19 PM »

and is there a certain age you have to be? I'm only 14...
I think there is a rule that under 16's (or maybe it's 15's) can't race against over 16's. This would be a general rule rather than anything specific to Old School.

is it always in manchester or do we find out where abouts when the new season starts?
The North Region races are all over - currently Manchester, Crewe, Preston, Coppull, Hartlepool, Bradford, Leeds and Blackpool.
Manchester is the last Summer Series race. Last year there was no "Winter Series" so to speak, but the Old Schoolers cobbled together a series using club meets and a few other one off events. Keep your eye on the "Old School Series Racing" lounge.
The Summer series 2012 will start early next year.

Also, what license do I need
Usually none for winter races, and a British Cycling Silver Membership for the summer.

and how does it all work? Like numbers, points system?
You are given points for your given position in at any on meet. Then your best x results are added together to get an overall winner (e.g. best 5 out if 8 races).

What happens when the person wins the season?
They get a pat on the back, a plastic trophy and are accused of sandbagging if they don't race in Masters the next season.

moomin

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 11:23 PM »
Such a shame, we were forced with only being able to drop 1 round (that clashed with MK) which i discussed with Justin.

1 more family engagement and there was no point to doing any rounds :daumenhoch:

A crying shame  :'(

lk_97

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 11:37 PM »
Thanks for all that James! By March I will be 15 so hopefully can do the summer series  :) will get my license then when I find out the ages, it's a shame that though, that younger people can't race older people  :(

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 11:43 PM »
I tried to get some intrest in an O/S series for the Midlands....the clubs were up for it  :4_17_5: .............but not much intrest from the riders  :-\
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

lk_97

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 11:47 PM »
I tried to get some intrest in an O/S series for the Midlands....the clubs were up for it  :4_17_5: .............but not much intrest from the riders  :-\

I'd be interested in that 

moomin

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Thats it Billy you take the blame  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

billycrabtreeomer

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 03:16 PM »
wish i had raced 2 classes os n 20 new this season to help with number's . wonder what class they will be dropping next.

blame it on me , whilst in hospital they fitted me with Teflon shoulder pads :2funny:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 03:41 PM »
me crashing out in masters has top it for the club

I'd have thought they'd be only too keen to keep the old'uns out of Masters because of your crash Billy.  Definitely all your fault Billy ;) but still a shame the decision has been made, but just maybe because of it there will be an upsurge of interest and the decision will be reversed before next season.  Humps

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 07:07 PM »
can't see there being an upsurge in interest Alan, many said they would race in O/S this year but for various reasons didn't turn up  :(

we need a veterans class like they have at regionals so we can race agaist our own age group rather than in masters where we are up against the young uns  :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 07:43 PM »
I think theres more to it. The OSS sponsored trophies at Hersden. We were welcome then. Oh and an extra 2quid  entry for us (volunteered to help the club) even more welcome then!
Oh and RAD sponsered racing there as well, you know an old school bmx site.
Perhaps our past support meant fook all. Still now the tables are turned, and most old schoolers are struggling to keep jobs, houses, cars etc. Its a welcome relief that we are being dropped so we dont have a reason to spend money there.

THEIR WONT BE A VETS CLASS AT HERSDEN EITHER. The decision has been made to get rid of the riders, fook all to do with old school bikes.
I still think its a personal vendetta, and rather than spend any more time worrying about it my family and myself wont be racing at Hersden, we will find somewhere else to ride.

Good luck to the club and its organisers, and thanks for all the great times we had in the past.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:46 PM by RATTY »
A long time ago, in a land far away!

TK The Mic

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Where do you get "personal vendetta" from Tony, the decision to drop OS was mine this time around and mine alone, I was told about this upsurge in interest that was coming this year and it never happened. It was ok for round one but from there on in it was downhill

The only class that can be vulnerable from now are the Cruisers, and we have plenty of them throughout the year, all the other classes are age grouped , so that they are accessible to all.

Hope this clears it up

moomin

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 08:57 PM »
TK, i think the problem is that things have got so muddied, there were some shrouded reasons why Old School was dropped last year and unfortunately this year there were some shit date clashes, MK Rad Bash being 1 of them.

It made it pretty much impossible for anyone with 1 extra date clash to justify coming  in the current climate.

At the end of the day Tone, the decision has been made, it's sad that Old School is ending after the support it gave to help build up a little club.

I'm not sure and cant bebothered to go into the finances like i did earlier in the year but i still dont think it justifies losing Old School but what will be, will be  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Hersden to close Old Skool class

gfxgfx
gfx gfx