gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 12:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  990s on the front and where they came from
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 990s on the front and where they came from  (Read 867 times)

condor96

990s on the front and where they came from
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:11 AM »
awhile ago i was poking around asking people if they remember when the first 990 brake plates came about. nobody could remember exactly. i couldnt track down much info on the subject, and i couldnt remember exactly when either.

fast foward to a few months ago. i went on a riding trip up to greenville and rode with my buddy paul murray. i noticed him (and a few others) were all running useless brake mounts. ive been looking for one for a long time. i said "man, how do all you guys have one of them? ive been looking forever."  then paul says " well im the one that made them" :lol: if only i asked him years ago i would have had one in my hands a long time ago :lol:

anyways he told me about the whole story of his mounts and 990s on the front. this is the first bike with 990s on a plate

"1994. Oklahoma City in the Hoffman Bikes Warehouse. Shane Kinsley and I were disgusted with our front brakes, (so were most riders of the time) and we were discussing the brakes available. I had a bolt on 990 mount in a box of junk that I had hauled out from North Carolina. I had made it years before for a friend who wanted 990's on the BACK of his aluminum PK Ripper. We took that mount, and an old 990 brake, and bolted it on the front of my bike. We tried to figure out how to have Pott's Mod and still use this center pull brake. That is when Shane made a brilliant observation...."

"Shane said something like: "You don't have to pull it from the center, you just have to pull them together." The bells went off. With a bolt on barrell adjuster from another old brake, and a custom pinch bolt, we had working 990's ON THE FRONT in a matter of minutes. It all seemed too simple. A few days later, I made mounts for McCoy and Miron. A month or so later, the Standard boys showed up at the BS contest wearing their own design of a 990 plate around their necks (like they were Flava Flave), and selling them like hotcakes. As far as I know, before that day, nobody had 990's on the FRONT of their bikes with the cable routed like this."

a few months later paul was making the useless mounts. idea was copied by plenty of companies.

now i have one again. these are the best mounts.

kitty approves

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
Re: 990s on the front and where they came from
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:30 AM »
nice story and feline approval  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:33 AM »
look like they do the job those, never seen that one before,   "won't work on most skateboards"     :LolLolLolLol:    :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Great story, cheers for sharing

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:20 PM »
I remember seeing those. Nice shape I always thought.

Right around the same time, maybe a little later a couple of lads trading as 'fluffy toy' released their brake plate which was arguably the first one available in the UK. Bright yellow and chopped out of steel plate if I recall correctly.

Very shortly after the flood gates opened and every fcuker started making 'em  ;D

nosepickben

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:30 PM »
First one i remember was john taylor, he had a pitbull hanger off me sometime in 94, i assume he got the idea from here ^^, He'd been to the states with George French and a few others. They refined it over a few mugs of tea & he gave me a pair of powerlite bars as a swapsy.
I persevered with my nippon for a bit before going the canti route. Never ran 990's on the front, don't like cable loops!

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Excellent post, thanks for that duder  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  990s on the front and where they came from

gfxgfx
gfx gfx