gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stupid Headset question . . .
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stupid Headset question . . .  (Read 1331 times)

The VW Doc

Stupid Headset question . . .
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:49 PM »
. . . I cant believe I am asking this, but here goes!
I got the burner back from the powder coaters today and thought I would start the re-assembly.

Start with something easy - put the forks on the bike!

Unpacked the headset and laid it out as i thought it should go (checked with diagrams so I knew I was correct) and went to fit the bottom race (crown race?) to the forks to find it is a loose fit!?!?!?
Thought that the blasters must have removed soemthing, so thought I would check the old headset pieces from another set of forks - the same issue.
Tried the old headset back on the forks they came from - this is loose also?

I am stumped - I cant beloeve it "gets tight" when you do it all up?

:wtf:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Stupid Headset question . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:04 PM »
oh dear  :-\ when you say crown race do you mean the bearing cup thingy that knocks onto forks first is loose ?

DJL

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Is it one of the cheap,  halfords db headsets?  If so,  that race always seems to be loose....

The VW Doc

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:24 PM »
oh dear  :-\ when you say crown race do you mean the bearing cup thingy that knocks onto forks first is loose ?

Yeah, thats the one

Is it one of the cheap,  halfords db headsets?  If so,  that race always seems to be loose....

No, it wasn't a "Halfords cheapie" - the odd one is that the headset that came from my DP Firebird is also a really loose fit on the forks.

The cups for both sets of headsets are also a loose fit (well not "interference" fit into the frame - but with the top hand tight, and the nut locked down there is no play at all!!??

Well, the truth will out when I try to ride it! - if it all falls apart then it will be a "Show Bike" only!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:36 PM »
weird ! im no expert but im guessing its not a 1 inch set you need and some other size you need advice from the burner dudes  :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:48 PM »
I take it the headset you have are new 1" headset where the crown race is bigger :daumenhoch:

You need an old headset like a tioga beartrap 2 or Oddysey dynotron or something of that era.

Alans has some tange that will do the job http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=116_122&products_id=3002

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:55 PM »
I take it the headset you have are new 1" headset where the crown race is bigger :daumenhoch:

You need an old headset like a tioga beartrap 2 or Oddysey dynotron or something of that era.

Alans has some tange that will do the job http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=116_122&products_id=3002
how mad is that no wonder this bloody hobby is so expensive 1 inch is 1 inch  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:57 PM »

how mad is that no wonder this bloody hobby is so expensive 1 inch is 1 inch  :LolLolLolLol:
But not all crown races are the same :daumenhoch:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Hes tried the old set off the dp too should that not have worked tho ?

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:17 PM »
On my DP it is a good interference fit for the cups and crown race. Bear trap 2 I had a selection of other 1" headers and all them were loose. I then tried a dynotron and that was a tighter fit. If it was my bike I would be fitting either of those two or the tange mx2.
Pork chop has the beartrap 2
Alans the tange mx2
JT smooth might have a dynotron

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Im begining to follow now  :daumenhoch: there you go VW  :daumenhoch:  nice one Brett  even i have learnt something  :LolLolLolLol:  :daumenhoch:

The VW Doc

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Cheers guys for all the input  - the buke is still under assembly at the mo (although it was always the plan to finish the DP first, the Burner is coming together quicker!

I will see how it goes when I put the wheels (waiting for spokes) and saddle on it - if it moves then I will bin the 'set I have and try an alternative. Bloody pains in the ass!

1mancity2

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I've had the same problem with the cups I put the vernier caliper on them and they are .2 of a mm smaller, I just put some insulation tape round the cup then pressed them in  :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 09:21 PM »
I've had the same problem with the cups I put the vernier caliper on them and they are .2 of a mm smaller, I just put some insulation tape round the cup then pressed them in  :daumenhoch:

New 1" headset is it??

1mancity2

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 09:23 PM »
yep new cheap one bud

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 09:28 PM »
as I said above and I know it is a pain but time to buy a different headset as the new ones can Knacker you frame and forks unless it is for a show pony  :daumenhoch:

On all my bikes I have used Tioga beartrap 2's and they have been spot on :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stupid Headset question . . .

gfxgfx
gfx gfx