gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  HALF LINK CHAINS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HALF LINK CHAINS  (Read 3771 times)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
HALF LINK CHAINS
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:52 PM »
i've just bought a mirraco that i want to run a 25 or maybe even a 22/9 gearing.
will i have to use a half link chain or will a standard one work.
could do with finding out before i buy one.

dave.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: HALF LINK CHAINS
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:06 PM »
For 25/9 it'll be fine

22/9 you'll be spinning like mad going nowhere fast

Not as strong as a regular chain, brought about by small gearing and shorter chainstay lengths

Standard chain will probably be ok with 25/9 if the chainstay is 13.75" or longer...  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:08 PM by Betty »
2 minutes turkish...

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:49 AM »
coolio.
25/9 sounds the one then.
cheers mucka  :daumenhoch:
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:36 AM »
std chain will be fine, ive run a kmc super light chain for the last 5 years on 25-9 gearing with no probs  :daumenhoch:

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 08:41 AM »
A std chain wraps around your old school 16t freewheel no probs, so it'll  love it around a 25t front, no probs.

Half links stretch more, weigh more and as said above, are weaker, but look nice (to some!)
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Hmm, I'm not convinced yet that half-link chains are weaker. I've badly stretched and broken a few normal chains in the year-and-a-bit I've been back riding BMX, and I'm now trying a half-link chain on my NS race cruiser. It weighs a ton but I've had very good results so far with it not stretching much. Maybe see how it's getting on at the end of the season for a proper judgment.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:51 AM »
Halflink chains are only as good as the person that fitted them, to a degree, the same can be said of any chain but I would estimate that at least 50% of broken halflinks are fitted incorrectly in some way or other.
They dont stretch any more than a normal "like for like" chain.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 03:43 PM »
The links are prone to `pulling out' (going flat) on half link chains, which you don't get on std chains, we tried them on our conveyors (industrial, but same principal), great for pitch increments, but didn't last as long and needed more tensioning in use.

Different kettle of fish on a bike, and depends on the quality of the chain too, but I reckon , for a bike, there is no benefit other than fashion, and I use one on my cruiser!!
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I always presumed that half links were made to wrap closer and tighter to the small 9t cassette, until a few manufacturers started just putting normal chains on 25-9 set ups. Only recently i learnt this after id forked out for a half link for my lads micro drive conversion

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 11:08 PM »
thats what i thought too so thought it best to asks the dudes that know  :)
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 11:28 PM »
The only benefit from fitting a half link chain is the fine adjustment of length to your chain ,, as rear dropouts on some new bikes are that small the half links are some times needed to be the only way to keep the chain tight ,on some frames  where the total  length of travel adjustment is limited as small as 25mm  :crazy2:

Otherwise they're no lighter, just fashion .

Most rumours do say they don't hold up to the same wear and tear ,, but as Diggs says , that could be down to the rider/installer  ::)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Not all conventional chains will sit comfortably round a 9t driver.  A little research is required.

Not all half link chains are of equal quality, just like every other product in the world.

I run a half link chain because I wanted to have as long a rear end as I could whilst running 25/9, I bought whichever one Stodgy told me to and it's stretched no more than any other good quality chain I've had in my life.  Just be sure to fit it the right way up, and the right way round  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  HALF LINK CHAINS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx