gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  My latest project. Stratton.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My latest project. Stratton.  (Read 23525 times)

Mamba

My latest project. Stratton.
« on: March 11, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Hi,

I am very new to the site. been checking out so many really top class modified and restored BMX's on here. Been getting loads of ideas but want to get an opinion from you guys.

But first, I got this bike after my Grandad passed on. I was helping cleaning out a garage and there was a Stratton BMX hanging up on the wall. It belonged to my aunt and I remember back in the 80's I think. It has sat there ever since. I have no idea what sort of age it actually is, perhaps someone here can help?
Rather than let her throw it out I thought what the hell i'd take it off her hands and restore it. This is what she's like:

By pbi at 2011-03-11

By pbi at 2011-03-11

By pbi at 2011-03-11

By pbi at 2011-03-11

Problem is, having seen all the kit you guys have been putting on yours should I simply restore it to as she would have been or should I "tinker"? What do you guys reckon?

daz bmx it!

Re: My latest project. Stratton.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:58 PM »
I would restore it to as near original as you can,it wont cost a fortune and that way will always hold sentimental value for you so you could build it cheaply and just keep it :daumenhoch:

Mamba

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:06 PM »
It's a project i'd like o gt my nephew involved with. He's 12 and into his Mountain bikes, i'd like to get him into proper bikes! : >:D

It's obviously not a valuable piece but it's things like matching the paint, getting the correct decals to get it spot on. I'd like to strip the frame right down, maybe powdercoat it, I just don't know. I'd find it very hard to resist tinkering here and there though.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:54 PM »
make a cool bike when its done  :daumenhoch:
its all well and good having bikes that cost hundreds to build but it was bikes like these i remember bitd.
dave the bmxing gypo

Mamba

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:34 AM »
True, I hadn't thought of it like that. It's easy to forget how old it is and what history it has. I think I will do exactly that. 8)

I'll get some decent pics up, it's been raining for the past few days so I had to take pics in the half dark shed.. When there's a break in the weather i'll get some proper pics and start there.

Cheers guys :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:20 AM »
I'm a big fan of these lower end builds, Ive done a couple myself and they are just as challenging as a high spec build. My Lew Ways build was a right headache, I had to find copy parts of all the big brands to complete it.

And as Dordy has rightly stated, these are the bikes My friends and I rode as kids as we couldn't afford the top spec stuff. So there is a big hole in the resto scene of the lower end bikes, the bike we all rode bitd, in my opion more of these should be rescued.

Viva La Lower End Builds

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Love the matchstick mags...  :4_17_5:

Nice find, just give it a good clean up and use as is...  :daumenhoch:

2 minutes turkish...

Mamba

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Jaymz, if I could get that ole beast of mine looking half as good as those two i'd be well happy!! :4_17_5:

Now, the difficulty is getting the info and pics etc to see what they would have loked like cos it was over 20yrs ago since I last saw this one! The memory isn't as good as it used to be and do I do excatly as factory or do I do things like have the handle bars and possibly the forks chromed, polish the brakes. My worry is the colour, getting an accurate match or is near enough good enough. I don't want to put all the work in only to find it isn't "right".

Anyhow, here are some proper daylight pics:

By pbi at 2011-03-12

By pbi at 2011-03-12

By pbi at 2011-03-12

By pbi at 2011-03-12

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 06:12 PM »
I really like that as it is. Survivor

And as Dordy has rightly stated, these are the bikes My friends and I rode as kids as we couldn't afford the top spec stuff. So there is a big hole in the resto scene of the lower end bikes, the bike we all rode bitd, in my opion more of these should be rescued.

:daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 06:36 PM »
I really like that as it is. Survivor

:daumenhoch:

Same here - just needs a clean up and re-grease etc - reckon the whole thing would come up magic without stripping/repowdering, maybe need to see what you can do with the ammerite? on the forks though  :daumenhoch:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Mamba

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:04 PM »
No mods then!! That's obviously the concensus of opinion and that is what it will be. ^"^

The paint on the fotrks sem to be a mix of  household paint and polyfiller!! There are chips through the paint especially around the rear of the frame and there is sections of the frame that have silver paint on it for some reason too. I might have to strip down and fully repaint but, I think I will strip the parts and see what I can asses it all first. That I will start tomorrow.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 07:26 PM »
No mods then!! That's obviously the concensus of opinion and that is what it will be. ^"^

The paint on the fotrks sem to be a mix of  household paint and polyfiller!! There are chips through the paint especially around the rear of the frame and there is sections of the frame that have silver paint on it for some reason too. I might have to strip down and fully repaint but, I think I will strip the parts and see what I can asses it all first. That I will start tomorrow.

Try and keep the decals intact if the frame paints too far gone - try giving Del a pm to see if he's already got 'em - if not and you're sure you want to repowder the frame, then remove them by pouring boiling water over em till they come off easily, then you've got 'em if you need to put back on/re-pop  :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Mamba

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 07:33 PM »

Try and keep the decals intact if the frame paints too far gone - try giving Del a pm to see if he's already got 'em - if not and you're sure you want to repowder the frame, then remove them by pouring boiling water over em till they come off easily, then you've got 'em if you need to put back on/re-pop  :)

Will do! Sound advice Danny. The "BMX Racer" and BMX graphics don't look like they're original, they're stuck on over the original "made in Italy". I will give Del a PM and be ultra careful with the originals and see if I can touch up the frame. It's getting a paint match that's the hardest part if I do repair rather than have re-powdercoated.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 07:42 PM »
get some t-cut on that frame paint, some jif on anything plastic, and autosol and fine wet and dry on those brakes and that will look sweet, my black huffy is original paint its just been polished and mopped, with the decals masked off, before you replace always restore, if you cant think how to restore a part, ask on here there are members on here that could seriously make shlt shine, I'm sure a member called bendycat will be around shortly to offer a plethora of advice

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 08:27 PM »
my first bike bitd had those yellow mags,it was called a WMX,all my mates used to call it womans moto cross  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 08:39 PM »
my first bike bitd had those yellow mags,it was called a WMX,all my mates used to call it womans moto cross  :LolLolLolLol:

Mine too it was a Dingo though, I'd love to find a pair to build replica

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 09:00 PM »
i remember those dreadful and oh so ugly twin top tube looptail Batavus bikes i sneered about around 1984 -- usually orange or green low end stuff from the Netherlands i suppose. Boy did I hate them back then. ::) Today i would very much like to find one of those bikes ---- horror theory I'm tellin ya, horror theory -- oh, and they also had those mags  :D ;D

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 09:17 PM »
like that, love the low end stuff,   keep it as original as  you can  :daumenhoch:  , there's not many low end completes about as they all got trashed and thrown,   or had bits changed on em,  should clean up nice

Mamba

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 11:52 PM »
I will guys absolutely as original as I can. I have no doubt I will be on here a lot asking for advice. Thanks all for the support and guidance. We'll take her apart nice and carefully and see what can be salvaged. I am hopeful all can be, with a bit of elbow grease of course. Jaymz, you said these guys can make sh1t shine! well, you've just given me the project name for it "PaT"......

Polish a Turd!! :LolLolLolLol:

Tomorrow, we'll clean it up, see about giving it a good t-cutting and then see what's to do :daumenhoch: More on this tomorrow .......

Mamba

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 12:56 AM »
I don't suppose anyone has any pics of there's or can get hold of any. I need to see what exactly should be there. I'm going to get in touch with Stratton cycles too to see if they can help with any pics, and sourcing parts, there doesn't seem to be anything on ebay for them right now.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 01:10 AM »
all i found

Mamba

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 01:39 AM »
Aye, thanks for looking. I've been through over 30 pages on Google Images. That image is of a bike advertised on Gumtree Belfast on the 16th Jan. Research, this is half the battle ain't it? ;)

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 07:59 AM »
no idea, have never restored anything myself :LolLolLolLol: anything else, feel free :)

Mamba

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 06:16 PM »
After a quick clean up and strip down of parts I found most parts are salvagable, some will need rechroming, others not. The frame, forks and bars are another matter:

By pbi at 2011-03-14

Handle bars looklike they've been painted from new, not powdercoated as it is flaking off in places and there is bubbling where rust is obviously happening underneath:

By pbi at 2011-03-14

The rear of the frame doesn't look bad after a good wash off with WD 40 but there are other places similarly effected by rust and chips and someones splashing about with silver, black paint and with some heavy white paint. What do you reckon?

By pbi at 2011-03-14

By pbi at 2011-03-14

By pbi at 2011-03-14

By pbi at 2011-03-14

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 12:35 PM »
get some polishing compound on it and remove the top layers of unwanted paint, then touch the frame back in with some red paint if you want to retain the old decals, failing that, get the nitro mors out and strip it and respray. Carefully remove the old decals with a hairdryer and stick onto white paper so you can get new ones made up

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  My latest project. Stratton.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx