gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 06:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  White chain advice for mongoose californian please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: White chain advice for mongoose californian please  (Read 986 times)

Threaders

White chain advice for mongoose californian please
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Hi. Just finishing of my 83 Mongoose californian build and just wanted to ask some advice on chains. I know of the izumi chain, but cant find a white one so was looking at these two. I take it 1/2 link is ok for old skool rides?? The bike has a tuf neck chinring and a suntour freewheel. Any advice will be much apreciated. Thanks.

Diamondback chain at 15 quid

KMC chain at 25 quid.
The chain has to be white. Thanks again.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: White chain advice for mongoose californian please
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:46 PM »
the KMC over the half link!!

Threaders

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Cheers dude. If only all problems in life could be sorted out in 10 mi :laugh:ns
Whats the difference between 1/2 link and the KMC anyway?? Are 1/2 links ok for an old skool set up? apologies for my ignorance.

ozone

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Cheers dude. If only all problems in life could be sorted out in 10 mi :laugh:ns
Whats the difference between 1/2 link and the KMC anyway?? Are 1/2 links ok for an old skool set up? apologies for my ignorance.

Half link chains are quite modern so not ideal for old school.

That KMC is more like it but it's overpriced.  These yaban chains are very similar but they are £10, delivered - what more could you want?   :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Single-Speed-Yaban-BMX-Chain-White-/310241173240?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item483bd09ef8

Threaders

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:16 PM »
I had seen those ybn ones, but thought with the more expensive chain, it would be stronger and the colour more durable and not prone to chips.

Chinadog

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:49 PM »
The yaban chain is white/silver whereas the KMC one is white/black.

I got one of each to try on my dp Freestyler build but didn't like the finish of the yaban one, kinda yellowish white (the KMC one is jet black and DAZ white)

If you put the two next to each other it's obvious why the KMC one is dearer ;)       

Chinadog

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Oh btw, check out porkchopbmx.com, He sells that KMC chain for $26 or a pure white one for $9.99, Cheap as chips :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  White chain advice for mongoose californian please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx