gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway hubs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: skyway hubs  (Read 2692 times)

oldskooldayz

skyway hubs
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:55 AM »
right i saw a thread on here a while ago im sure but cant for the life of me find it again

it was to do with a set of skyway hubs that had been pushed in due to over tightening

anyway the question asked in the thread was-is it possible to pull them back out ?????

i would also like to know the same thing as i have a rear alloy hub tuff thats pushed in toooooo much and needs pulling back out

who can help me please

cheers

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
Re: skyway hubs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:54 AM »
that would have been me  ;)

my rear was pushed in on both sides - i was able to pull them out - i just haven't rebuilt the hub yet to see how straight it is and if it spins true
i'm also working on find a way to recreate the tool from new parts - the bolt used has started to get tighter and tighter as the nut starts to pull the tread out of shape

i just trying to work out some thing that we can all go out and buy the parts in a hardware shop and do it at home  ;)

i will get some pic's up of the mag
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

squigly

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:57 AM »
You could....

remove the axle
put a large washer (as big as will fit between the alloy lugs and about 2-3mm thick)
replace the axle loose without the cones or nut on the side you're straightening first  but make sure it goes through the center of the inserted washer, put the cones and nut on the opposite side

Then put a three pronged puller down between the alloy lugs and around the washer, put the center on the axle and crank it up slowly until it lines up.

This will push both sides out so be carefull and dont over do it or it will crack, the rivits will no doubt be loose after you have straightened it too.

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38 AM »
will that not push one side out more than the other if not carefull ?
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

oldskooldayz

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys
Look forward to hearing your remedy on the subject BC

Will take a look into this one for now to see how it's works

Cheers

squigly

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:10 PM »

why would you not be carefull ?   :LolLolLolLol:

the pressure excerted by the puller should be equal on the center and the arms so both hubs should move the same (in theory) but the arms will pull their side across the diameter of the washer and be more 'even' pressured than the Axle pushing on just the center of the hub, that possibly may require more force depending how strong the hubs actually are ? good point.

I guess you could use a long arm puller and use the puller to push against the axle whilst the arms are holding the edge of the hub (where the plastic edge/rivets are) this would push one side only.

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:42 PM »

why would you not be carefull ?   :LolLolLolLol:

the pressure excerted by the puller should be equal on the center and the arms so both hubs should move the same (in theory) but the arms will pull their side across the diameter of the washer and be more 'even' pressured than the Axle pushing on just the center of the hub, that possibly may require more force depending how strong the hubs actually are ? good point.

I guess you could use a long arm puller and use the puller to push against the axle whilst the arms are holding the edge of the hub (where the plastic edge/rivets are) this would push one side only.

;) ;D
/>

oldskooldayz

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 01:59 AM »
 :coolsmiley:

Offline Retrochrome

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Anyone have anymore developments on this subject gonna takle one myself !

John

Offline Rabdul06

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Marked - yep Id like to know the best way to do this..

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I had a rear what did this in 86. I removed the freewheel and used it as a front! #ghetto  :daumenhoch:
Facebook/Fr35Hair

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway hubs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx