gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 19, 2024, 11:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Haro Gen 2 Master Found
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Haro Gen 2 Master Found  (Read 5100 times)

greentoad

Haro Gen 2 Master Found
« on: May 01, 2006, 06:04 PM »
Hi all

I have met an old friend that I and Mason Smith knocked about with in the parks etc BITD. He was a great freestyler and had a real skill.

Anyway, we had a good chat today and I asked about his old Haro, he still has it and said that I am quite welcome to view his old bike whenever (Moose if we meet up this Saturday, lets do it together).

So, it has araya's, woody bars, an agp(?) first in the country rotor (engraved with the chaps name) and many other top items, the query is what is it? I doubt that it will ever be for sale but he remembers that it was available in chrome and white and he got it in 84, and that it was the first bike out of Custom Riders (it took ages to arrive).

How many generations of Freestyler where there (did they not do different versions of the Freestyler Gusset?) He seems to remember having to wait for it (and riding his Silver Streak) as Mason said that a new model was coming out (Mason had a Gen 1 Freestyler), and that he got it when he was 14 in 1984. So my guessing is a Chrome 84 Gen 1 Master. If so are these very rare? I seem to remember from posts that not many are around, and also has anyone got any pictures of one as I don't want to strip it down for the ID. Also what colour decals did they have please as it would be great to find another rare item and post pics.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS - there may also be an old Hutch still about with Hutch Cranks, and also pedals etc  ;) fingers crossed (this will take some more time to find another old friend from BITD).

Cheers

J.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:11 PM by greentoad »

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Haro Gen 1 Master ID Help Please
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 06:25 PM »
is that the one in the shop on the stand it had tuffs on if i remember,i went on a 2 week tour demo with mason in 85
all over the country top block.

YGT

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 06:26 PM »
didnt mason have some sort of prototype haro with a square tube?

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:40 PM »
im sure moose will stand me correct if i get this wrong, but there was two types of haro freestyler, the first having no weld to the joint between the front part of the downtube gusset, and the head tube.
the second(and improved) version had this area welded, to stop cracks.
billstup pointed this out to me in my haro freestyle moves book, and he had the early version, and cracked it.
also i believe the ealier edition didnt have any knurling to the rear dropouts.
as for the 84 freestyler/master, moose is your man, and there is a few variations, including placement of the coaster anchor, and the continent they were made in...later ones being made in taiwan.

hope this helps

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 06:59 PM »
If it's the one in Wheelies cycles in Northumberland Heath? it's a gen one with white tuffs.

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 07:36 PM »
Hey Jem

If I can make it on Saturday we should be able to identify it quite easily as I own both a gen 1 freestyler and a gen 1 '84 master (currently in negotiations with the missus as she wanted to go trawling the garden centres on Saturday) ::)

Have a read of this, it will help identify the different '84 masters. http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=11742.0

Rom bloke is right about the gussets on the gen 1 freestylers, but I have yet to see one without the weld. As it stands, if my theory about gen 1 serial numbers is accurate, there are so far no surviving 1982 models. There is a member on VBMX that has said his has the early gusset, but I've not seen a picture. I meant to PM him, but couldn't be arsed :buck2:

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 07:47 PM »
moose if you have bob haros frrestyle moves book, check page 16 and you can see the unwelded gusset on bobs very own bike, this being the only one ive ever seen, and it was only eagle eyes stupple who pointed it out to me....cheers bill
and its on pg 17 you can clearly see the dropout without the knurling, although this could have course be a torker drop out.....can anyone confirm that.....id still like to know what stem he run though

mcs 6 bolt????

Dave
haro, how do you do

Bren Gunn

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Great thread...  keep the info coming :daumenhoch:

radders

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 11:51 AM »
The generation 1 Freestyler, the one Bob is on in his book and the one Billy Stupple had, had the gap in the weld on the gussett. The other difference between the Freestyler and the Master is the Freestyler had a 1 1/4 inch downtube, whereas the Master had a slightly thicker 1 3/8 inch downtube. The other variations on the Master come down to whether it was first batch of US made, Second batch of US made, or Taiwanese manufactured.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:05 PM »
Hey Moose,i've got an early Gen1 Freestyler-frame No "T001990 F".Any ideas on age?

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 07:22 PM »
My guesstimate would be August '83 :daumenhoch:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 08:07 PM »
Thanks Moose!

greentoad

Haro Gen 2 Master Found
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Hi all

I went and viewed the bike today and it's a chrome Torker built Gen 2 Master from August 1984. So, another quality old school survivor.

It is in pretty good condition considering (that it has been lent out for years, and now lives in a swimming pool complex) and has chrome Araya Aero's, an RGD stem and rotor, Blue DC brakes etc.

I think it still has presense and looks great and hope that it will be restored. It looked a lot better than the pictures show, and had lots of fine touches such as green nipples etc -

If anyone can give me some history, values and information on the stem, rotor, wheels and bars? It would be appreciated.

Moose, I have the full serial if you're interested in adding it to your list.

The frame and forks are also in great condition with no dings or scratches and the dropouts are perfect.

Cheers

J.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:14 PM by greentoad »

gmac

Re: Haro Gen 2 Master Found
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 10:23 PM »
That's still seriously cool, even in that condition  :coolsmiley:

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 10:32 PM »
That is cool, really cool.

First things first - if those pedals are SR MP470's, I'd like to buy them  :D

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Nice find , Great bike ...........

RADHAB

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 11:21 PM »
Mmmmm Woody bars  :smitten:

DR VINOAH

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 12:35 AM »
what a find  :4_17_5:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 07:28 AM »
ive got one of them rgd spinners i got it of mason it was supposed to be one of the first they tried
mason that is either he or someone he new mad them .i offered mine back to mason last year
he said them are getting rare i need some of the hardware to finish mine theres a collar that the giro slides
up and down on need it cant find mine can you do some close ups so i can get one copied  dan.

greentoad

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 11:19 AM »
Hi Dan

I reckon the bike will be stripped and restored soon, so will get more close ups and measurements for you. The stem and rotor are quality engineering. These are the best pictures that I have at the moment.

If I remember correctly we live fairly close to each other, I'm sure that you could measure it up some time etc.

Hope this helps.

J.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 12:03 PM »
yes i can now see what i need
ive only found this bit so far the rest god nows 20 years in boxes :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Haro Gen 2 Master Found

gfxgfx
gfx gfx