gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 07:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  1980's GT World Tour in Ireland.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1980's GT World Tour in Ireland.  (Read 12211 times)

Haro Fan

1980's GT World Tour in Ireland.
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:42 PM »
I was looking at some of the history of the GT Pro Performer during the eighties. GT's series of World Tours obviously formed a big part of their effort to promote their own brand of freestyler. There is a long list of the countries visited during the 1985 tour on Eddie Fiola's wikipedia page and I see that Ireland is included. It looks like Bob Morales was also on that tour. Does anybody have any other details or photos of the Irish visit in 1985? Where did they do their demo, how many shows did they do and did they visit any other towns or cities other than Dublin?

In this interview with Martin Aparijo on Youtube, he also mentions that he paid a visit to Ireland on his extensive travels while touring with GT;

/>
It looks like Martin was on the 1986 World Tour. Was that the year he visited Ireland? Again, if anyone has any info, photos or memories of these events, I'd love to hear about them. Is it possible that this bike was used on his Irish visit? It looks to me like it might be a training bike, as opposed to a display bike, as it appears to be a collection of spare parts from various bikes put together. The fact that it might not be a show bike is actually part of its appeal (to me, at least)!

http://www.ajkbikes.com/images/collection/86gt-aparijo/86gt-aparijo_1.jpg

It features in this video of what looks like an impromptu street session. One of my favourites videos, so far (ably enhanced by the amazing New Order!).

/>
I can only recall one BMX tour coming to my home town of Galway in the eighties and that was the Raleigh Team with Andy Ruffel and Jason Lunn, amongst other riders. I think I might have a photo of that demo in my folks attic. I will try to dig it out on my next visit home and post it up here. Thanks to anyone who can offer any information to all my questions. Cheers.

Liam.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:34 PM by Haro Fan »

sweetbeats

Re: 1980's GT World Tour in Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Dunno But Eddie Came to the Toon twice and I met him twice so I have 2 performers in homage to his rad sack  :buck2:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:06 AM »
think fiola and breed went in 85, they also took jess d. morales came over in 84

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:14 AM »
GT performers are plop!!!
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

sweetbeats

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:29 PM »
GT performers are plop!!!
Agree sam i only keep mine to laugh at and make the sport look better  :P

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 02:02 PM »

Haro Fan

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Ouch. The GT is taking a big hammering in this thread!

Was the GT Pro Performer really that bad or is it just the looks of the bike that people don't like? Did it suffer from a really poor build quality where frames were breaking just from looking at them or is it the case that you either love them or hate them?

The Pro Performer might be on my list to buy so, is it really that bad? The one I have my eye on has three holes in the rear drop-out. Does that make it an 85 or 86 model? Thanks.

Liam.

Rodgy1970

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Pics taken from this thread of the GT World Tour in Belfast.

I think I remember wanting to go but didn't make it   :-\

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=100282.0

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:30 PM by rodgy »

sweetbeats

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:27 PM »

Was the GT Pro Performer really that bad or is it just the looks of the bike that people don't like? Did it suffer from a really poor build quality where frames were breaking just from looking at them or is it the case that you either love them or hate them?

The Pro Performer might be on my list to buy so, is it really that bad? The one I have my eye on has three holes in the rear drop-out. Does that make it an 85 or 86 model? Thanks.

Liam.

Avoid all GT mate they are dangerous and look shite.

madall

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 09:58 PM »
The GT Pro Performer was a decent bike, great for ramps as it was low centre of gravity.
Some of the best riders in the world used them so they cant be all bad.

I preffered the T/A but the performer was an OK bike

Cheers
ALL

Rodgy1970

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:36 AM »
i have the ireland tour on video  :4_17_5:

Is it video or DVD, any chance of getting a copy?

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 08:19 PM »
i have the ireland tour on video  :4_17_5:

Is it video or DVD, any chance of getting a copy?

its on VHS video mate i bought it back in 85 after i went to see the tour at pickets lock north london  :daumenhoch:

I was there at Pickets Lock too in 85  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 08:59 PM »

Liam.

hey liam - they're both good bikes I reckon but if you do go for the GT you'll probably have to change your user name  ;D

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 09:12 PM »
The chrome Performer that morales rode on this tour had no holes in the dropouts. Trivial and possibly useless information but true enough...  :)

sweetbeats

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 09:34 PM »
GT=SkipFood  ;)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 10:02 PM »
The chrome Performer that morales rode on this tour had no holes in the dropouts. Trivial and possibly useless information but true enough...  :)

and no coaster mount, i am sad too  :)

Haro Fan

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 05:29 PM »

hey liam - they're both good bikes I reckon but if you do go for the GT you'll probably have to change your user name  ;D
[/quote]

Yea, I think you're right. Haro Fan will pass into retirement soon and I will be back with a new handle. I have taken the plunge and located an 87 Performer F&F on ebay at a good price. I have also found some Performer Bars, a GT seat post and GT saddle and I'm waiting for the postman to deliver them. The plan is to build it as a 1986 "GT World Tour" Martin Aparijo replica, the chrome one with the blue forks and orange seat post. It will be built as a rider and probably won't be 100% accurate, but I will try to get it as close as possible. The Haro would have been nice but there is a massive demand for them and the prices reflect that. Maybe I'll get one in the future but for now, I'm happy with the Performer.

Haro Fan (for now).   

jeff spicoli

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 05:39 PM »
It was Dave Breed , Dave Curry , Andy Irwin and Fiola . Can't remember if Jess went to ireland in 85. I would love to see the vid again for the Dave Curry bits.

jeff spicoli

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 07:25 PM »
It was Dave Breed , Dave Curry , Andy Irwin and Fiola . Can't remember if Jess went to ireland in 85. I would love to see the vid again for the Dave Curry bits.

yep jess did go to ireland he had the green performer  8)
ha ha I should know really but one show just blends into another when your on a tour like that. I loved to see J D ride too he was RAD.

Offline Finny

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 09:58 AM »
Yep as Costa said, the GT Performer was/is the most reconised BMX of all time (Am I gonna get flamed for saying that ::)

Look on the museum and see what the most popular bike is (GT Performer) :4_17_5: I can see Johnus (Bobafett) getting ready to  :2gunsfiring_v1: me!!

-Jas

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  1980's GT World Tour in Ireland.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx