gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  embarassing question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: embarassing question  (Read 1242 times)

motomagII

embarassing question
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:56 AM »
right i have taken me brackens apart and used the parts oin another build and the headset wont go right .

i have built loads before and my memory must be slipping and i cant remember which waqy the bearings go in the headset .i tighten it up and theres play but if i tighten it bit more the forks are tight .now i went to see diggler 2 weeks ago with me jump bike for him to check it over and the bearings i had fitted were the wrong way round lo..but i still cant remember which way they go .doh

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: embarassing question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:58 AM »
not sure greg but i think the cage goes towards the bearing cups (if that makes any sense?)

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Ive had the same symptoms as yours on different bikes with the bearings either way round, just swap them untill they are right, unless you have the wrong size bearings, can't remember the sizes, but you will need the bigger size, or you will get your symptoms again.

hope this helps

Mark M
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:15 PM »
As Pickle says cages towards the bearing cups...  :daumenhoch:

Maybe try a differant headset if you've one lying around, it might be knackered if its been used

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:47 PM »
it has been used its been on me brackens since new so its 2 years old .was biut tight on that but okay .its only one of those new school diamond back ones .
problem is i dont have spare one and they arent  loads inch threaded ones about nowadays so i dont like throwing them lol

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Balls in Greg.. So as said above.
If you look at the cage, the side that looks like the balls may come out of the cage goes on the bearing race that sits on the forks. So the bearing cup goes neatly on the top. (that's the bottom part)
The top bit is flipped the other way as the race is the top part of the headset that you screw on to the fork thread.
This applies for most headsets except for ones like tange 300 and 125's etc . On those headsets the race for the top set of bearings is tapped in the top part of the top tube so the bearings seat the same as on the fork bearing race.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 06:17 PM »
are your cups in squarely greg as if they aren't it will cause the same problem?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  embarassing question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx