gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 03:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  thinking of a way to use normal cables for upper gyro ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: thinking of a way to use normal cables for upper gyro ?  (Read 592 times)

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
thinking of a way to use normal cables for upper gyro ?
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:23 AM »
Everyone uses the London mod thing to use two normal cables for the gyro on the lower part. Now you could use a london mod type thing from where the outer cable houseing touches the lever and where the actual cable goes into the spinney thing, odyssey nipple clamp type things will go there. Its just the point of the barrel part of the cable sitting in the actual lever. A tube extension so it takes two barrels instead of one ? 

Any ideas ?

snav69

Re: thinking of a way to use normal cables for upper gyro ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:44 AM »
I've gone dizzy reading that  :D  :D
Sorry i can't help as i have no idea what you're on about  ;D Someone will though  ;)

:coolsmiley:

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:50 AM »
That exact thing has been available for years. They used to use them on tandems and trikes so you could have MORE brakes. All you have to buy is a long barrel thing that sticks out the sides of the lever and takes 2 cables. The dont tend to fit BMX levers cos the barrel hole doesnt go all the way thro the lever. You'd have to drill out out. Also, they do look kinda ugly with 2 cables hanging off the bottom and top of the lever.

Alternatively, get a dragon fly Gemini cable. It'll fit right on, one cable is in the normal place and the other hangs off the side. You could even use the odyssey nipple things at the gyro end to make the cables shorter.

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/1326/Dragonfly_Gemini_Cable

NOTE: Years ago I took the tandems cable idea and made pretty much the same as the dragon fly cable (a good few years before they were out). I made the double barrel thing and soldered 2 cables into it. I even used ally tube for the outer cable so there was Zero compression loss. It was loads of hassle but worked well ...... untill I crashed! The ally tube got a bit bent up and the brake didnt pull at all! DOH!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:54 AM by S&MAlex »

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Dragonfly cable as Alex said or :

Snafu astroglide cable

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/4549/Snafu_Astroglide_Gyro_Cable_Upper

or use an Odyssey M2 lever/cable

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/odyssey/m2-lever-and-cable-rh-ec011425

all work real well without a load of messing about! 
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I just try thses things because i dont like buying a product, then THAT company has you buy the b@lls unless you keep buying there products(cables) to get the job done.

If you can custom buy cables it makes better sense for the rider in permormance and looks.
Anyone have any pics of that tandem two lever adapter ?
Just so i know  what im looking for.

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Get the dragon fly on Snafu one cos it'll fit any lever (you can still muck around shortening the cables at the gyro end if you want). The tandem one will need a modified lever and they are much tattier looking cos both cables hang out the side of the lever instead of just one.

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 08:10 AM »
This is exactly what im thinking of

Bigeorge found this for me on Bmx museum.
Anyone Know if its custom or a bike shop special ?

ozone

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Ronster on here designed something very similar to the setup in the bottom pic.   :coolsmiley:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=109169.msg1072795#msg1072795

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:29 AM »
what about the 2 into one cable splitters from the 90's, they use normal cables

custom riders used to sell em iirc

they look exactly like the ones that come with this fishbone gyro

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMX-GYRO-Fishbone-X-UFO-Cables-Blue-Mid-School-/150492088813?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item230a0709ed

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 11:57 AM »
This is exactly what im thinking of

Bigeorge found this for me on Bmx museum.
Anyone Know if its custom or a bike shop special ?

That's the sort of thing people did years ago  :daumenhoch:

Although that's very well made think of Your kneecap as it smashes into that lot sticking out!
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Yes but the kneecap thing is no reason not to make something better. If that was the case you guys would never be useing gyros today. We had nothing- then pods mod bolts, then skyway spinmasters which jscked your stem up about 3 inches but if you wanted to spin your bars that what you had to do. Just dont like being tied to a company if you snapped your cables it was hard to get replacements, but normal cables and a little mod cures it.

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 08:07 PM »
It seems a lot of work to go to, to make something that looks pretty poor, uses loads of parts, and you'd have to drill out a lever, JUST so you dont have to buy a dragonfly cable for a few quid. How about while your there, you make your own gyro from stratch as well, just so your not tied into giving Odyssey your money .....

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 12:51 AM »
Ok i get your point but Alex im a sucker for a gadget and i might try it for a little while and go back but at least i had a go.
Just contacted Rooster for his version.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  thinking of a way to use normal cables for upper gyro ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx