gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 10:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  2010 BMX Hall of Fame
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2010 BMX Hall of Fame  (Read 1366 times)

Dennis Dain

2010 BMX Hall of Fame
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:31 PM »
I have been hesitant to start this because you guys deserve the story to go with the pictures but I am a horribly slow typist and I spend way too much time re-reading my content to make sure I get it right. Plus I am uncomfortable sitting for too long with the situation I am in. So I will give you a bit at a time and see where I can go here.

When the ABA issued their press resease as to the inductees, for some reason I was struck wth the significance of Al Fritz receiving getting the 'honorary' nod for his designing the Schwinn StingRay. I made a comment online somewhere and Shannon Gillette of the ABA contacted me asking if I would do the intro for Al. I am NOT comfortable speaking in public but I agreed because...I don't know...it just made sense.

The ABA is making every effort to make this a non biased Hall of Fame. They are making every effort to be fair across the board no matter what sanction body a person was involved with. Also they moved the event from Thanksgiving weekend (an important family holiday here in the states) at the Grands to San Diego California in conjuction with another of their nationals and also a UCI sanctioned race which is a big draw.

The San Diego Hall of Champions is an OUTSTANDING location. They have made the event incredibly exciting with music and lighting that makes you feel like a rock star. (I was all the more intimidated by the magnitude of all this).

Some pictures for now and I will add more story later. I can hardly sit still anymore.

Below is the what the building looks from the outside.

Below is a view of the stage from the audience.

Below is a view of where the audience will be when I faint from fear. LOL!!!

Something for your enjoyment. John Crews on the right, Stu and me on the left. Stu looked awsome, trimmed down to about 225lbs and wearing his best police intimidation outfit. We had a good laugh about that and had a great visit with him and many many others.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:35 PM by Dennis Dain »

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: 2010 BMX Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:54 PM »
hurry up dennis,we're an impatient lot here. :Great_Britain:

Dennis Dain

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:02 AM »
Here is another picture from the HOF. Left to right is Woody Itson, John Crews, Tracer Finn, Tim Judge and Eddie King. A great group of guys.

If you look close at the picture below of Woody during his acceptance speach you can see his 'Gold plated Hutch' behind him. I knew he re-acquired it a few years ago when he had it on display at one of our summer gatherings. I guess there had been multiple stories as to where it had dissapeared to so Woody told the story...I guess many years ago he had given the bike back to the owner of Hutch, Mr Hutchins, so he could give it to his son when got old enough to appreciate it. Well a few years ago Woodys wife got after him to see if he could get it back so he could pass it on to his kids.

Woody contacted the son (who had it stores in the attic all this time) and they came to an agreement. The son asked Woody how much he charged his dad and Woody said he gave it to him. So the son gave it back and said, there now we are even. Just like that. It is an incedible bike!!!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:58 AM »
Fantastic stuff Dennis, great pics and what a location.  Such a cool story behind Woody's bike too, what a great guy to  :4_17_5:

Thanks for sharing  :4_17_5:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  2010 BMX Hall of Fame

gfxgfx
gfx gfx