gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 05:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  how to tell a cro mo frame, heavy tools
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: how to tell a cro mo frame, heavy tools  (Read 3745 times)

mattuk

how to tell a cro mo frame, heavy tools
« on: September 19, 2010, 12:18 AM »
right bit of a dilema

i have 2 frames... both identical in every way visually

i believe them to either be a screamer or a freestyle by the mid 90's company HEAVY TOOLS who were by KHE

from very little info available throughout the internet ive managed to find out that the screamer was full 4130 cro mo and the freestyle was steel

so i have for definate one of the following combinations

screamer/screamer
screamer/freestyle
freestyle/freestyle

but which one........ 

ive looked under the BB and both have reference HT BO

one has        HT BO 3  folled by serial number beneath
other has     HT BO 2 also folled by serial number beneath

now i also have the other frame heavy tools did but i know this is a heavy tools "ruler" as its they only did 3 bikes and its the only one that didnt come with a platform

this has code    HT BO 1  folloew by a serial number beneath

so to me this tells me that   good chance i have one of each

so unless someone out there has a heavy tools and can check their codes for me im totally screwed in knowing whats what

anything i can do to check if its cromo or steel

magnet?  tapping to identify sound?      you see they both still might be the same model so both might be the same but i dont know whether thats a screamer or freestyle

really annoying so someone please help lol     

thanks in advance  :D

mattuk

Re: how to tell a cro mo frame, heavy tools
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 12:41 PM »
is that definate?      100% certain regarding the lugs?

theres a picture of a freestyle on here that someone had and that had ad lugs....    but may have been a screamer that someone stickered up wrong i guess

i am amazed at how little information is available on these bikes     mid nineties they were quite popular, they were affordable quality bmx's    dont know where they all vanished too    :(

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=52546.0

half way down this thread there is a freestyle pic and it HAS ad lugs???

motomagII

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:17 PM »
wouldnt the steel non chromo one be heavier than the 4130 tubing one?

mattuk

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 04:49 PM »
both feel about the same weight....

so if we say for example they are both the same frame....

how can i work out if its a screamer or freestyle       is cromo magnetic?      cause still isnt i believe?  thinking back to when they used to do that recycle cans thing and if it stick you could recycle cause it meant aluminium... or something like that

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Cromo is still steel so all will b magnetic  ;) Borrow some scales off somebody who does fishing  ;) lighter 1 should b cromo if ur theory is correct  ::) Or stand on bathroom scales with each frame individually  :daumenhoch:

mattuk

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:05 PM »
pretty sure both weigh exactly same

surely someone here must have a heavy tools frame

must be one...... surely    law of averages says there has to be!

has someone got an old mid nineties issue of ride they can look in to check the heavy tools advert and see if it has ad lugs on chainstays on screamer and not the freestyle

thanks

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 10:58 PM »
i got one outside holding the back gate open.havent a clue what model never much tried to find out but will look at serial for you.

mamadirt

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 11:41 PM »
I know that a quality cromoly mtb frame will have a certain ping to it if you flick the toptube, as opposed to a duller sound from a hi ten frame.  Don't think that'll help much with a thick walled heavy-ass BMX though  ;D .  Still, if you have two virtually identical frames it's gotta be worth a try.

mattuk

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 12:04 AM »
cheers guys   :)  finally some progress!

gary4130  that would be awesome, do you know which model it is... any stickers?   and heavy tools info massively appreciated and photos are even better as i can work out so much from them!
any info from ride mag also would be great

i'll paypal £2.85 over and get your self a pint of stella on me   :D  lol
your a life saver this has been winding me up well over a week now

if you can get them serial numbers up fellas that would be awesome and if you know what model   screamer/ freestyle yours is even better!!

holding the garden gate up harris!!  FFS    send me a pic by PM i might well buy that door stop off you just so i know where the stickers go!

mattuk

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 10:43 PM »
come on lads    suspense is killing me  :)

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 08:33 AM »
hi matt found some pics -sorry they arn't the best -will try +get better ones for you ,

look like the only diff on frames was cro-mo or hi ten
the frame i have has no decals left on -was my sons +he took them off ages ago  >:( :knuppel2:
hope these help you out mate

mattuk

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 07:51 PM »
thanks GARY4130 thats awesome def answers a few questions :)

do you mind haining a look under the bb on your heavy tools and seeing what the code is after the letters  HT BO   or even if its something doffernet altogether

were these pics out of an edition of ride magazine?   theres a few for sale on ebay at minute i might bid for that did the featues on heavy tools so i should hopefully get so good pics to work from there at all angles

so it looks like the only differance as you say is the material its made from    visual wise they are identical......

still be interested to know your code beneath you BB shell though to compare with mine

many thanks in advance

mattuk

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 11:18 PM »
any idea at all if your was a screamer or freestyle?      you not swayed one way at all   i think ht b02 and b03 mean freestyle and screamer, but which way around   ....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  how to tell a cro mo frame, heavy tools

gfxgfx
gfx gfx