gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 08:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Acid Baths - Rust Removal
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oxalic Acid Baths - Rust Removal  (Read 864 times)

Rodgy1970

Oxalic Acid Baths - Rust Removal
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Anybody know the quantities of powder and water for rust removal?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=oxali...._arr%3D1&_rdc=1

Rodgy1970

Re: Oxalic Acid Baths - Rust Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 08:08 PM »
i've been told the mix is 250 grams of Oxalic Acid to 1.5 litres of warm water in case anybody wants try out

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:15 PM »
That will react with the metal neutralising it.  It will turn the metal black as a completed product if it Chrome then I would go for the tin foil and lemon or tin foil and coke Job as it will look awful when finish.  I am not sure about re-chrome after but should OK :daumenhoch:

Be keen to see some before and after pictures  :4_17_5:

Rodgy1970

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:46 PM »
some before and afters on here bretty

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php'showtopic=4004702

going to get some and try it out and will put up some results

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 02:20 PM »
wouldn't carbonated water or vinegar do the same thing, or even watered down brick cleaning acid.
ding dong

Rodgy1970

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 02:30 PM »
wouldn't carbonated water or vinegar do the same thing, or even watered down brick cleaning acid.

Don't know about the carbonated water or brick cleaner but I've used vinegar on small bits and it worked well, but want to do some bigger bits so reckoned this would be easier and cheaper than buying gallons of vinegar.

You can also use citric acid which comes in powder as well.

bigsman

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Citric is less toxic but equally effective as far as I remember but oxalic definitely does the trick and in my experience doesn't blacken the metal in the way that oven pride or the like do.  Having said that I've only used OA on big chrome parts (frames forks etc) whereas I use overn pride to de-anno bits n bobs and yeh if you aren't on top of it it will blacken alloys.  You can usually salvage even these by polishing tho.  Can't remember how much OA I used but I do remember just putting some in to the water bath and watching how fast it was acting and topping up if it seemd slow..no very scientific but no disasters to date!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Acid Baths - Rust Removal

gfxgfx
gfx gfx