gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975649 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 09:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Fork Recommendations ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fork Recommendations ?  (Read 1725 times)

telelogic

Fork Recommendations ?
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on racing forks for my Kuwa'

I've upgraded all the parts on the bike with the exception of the forks.

I did try putting some "UK bike co" "Badda boom" forks on, that I got cheap, but the steerer is not long enough and the whole thing turned out to be a false economy.

I've been looking at "Odyssey classic race forks" and "S&M race XLT's" but I think that if I'm going to spend £120 (ish) I may as well go the whole hog and get some "Sinz Stealth 2010 Pro 20 Forks" I know I'll probably end up getting a set of these sooner or later, even if I go for the afore mentioned Cro-Mo in the short term.

the question is;

Are they ok for a novice to use? I'll be going to my local track for a bit of a pedal round during the summer months.

Will the carbon forks break under the weight of my ineptitude? Are they only to be used by super smooth pro riders?

I am of course aware, that a set of £200 forks would be overkill for my purposes! But I'm a bmx'er! and we all like cool Sh!t that we don't really need.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Fork Recommendations ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:24 PM »
you didn't bang any pictures up of the UnKnown forks fitted did you?  i remember you saying the gap was about 4mm which for me would be fine and dandy  :daumenhoch:

telelogic

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:17 PM »
yeah, but I'm still suspecting that the fork race needs to go back on, and when it does, they are too short!

165mm is quite a small steerer. the Sinz and others are 180!

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:17 PM »
 :) Sinz are fugly things! The newer Supercross and DK Race forks are pretty light and probably way stronger than carbons.Odyssey raceforks are also damn good.All three have 165-170mm steerers which seems to be the norm these days.

telelogic

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:10 AM »
The forks that came with the bike have a 180mm steerer tube and only required a 5mm spacer to fit.

this would suggest (to me anyway) that anything shorter than 175mm will be too short!

I don't know if my laserlite has a particularly long head tube, or if the Cane creek headset has some extra hight on it?

It must be something like that, I see plenty of other race bikes with forks that according to the previous post would be too short for my bike!

maybe I should try another headset first? just incase that's the issue ???

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:28 AM »
get a picture up of the whole thing  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55 AM »
 :) Think Funn stems have a taller stack hight than most.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Keep it real with steel :daumenhoch:

tobybrown35

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 09:37 PM »
go with steel x2 sm odsy both good seen alot of people movin away from carbon lately

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Fork Recommendations ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx