gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Curtis Expert/Pro?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Curtis Expert/Pro?  (Read 8026 times)

Dan73

Curtis Expert/Pro?
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:41 PM »
What a site!

Recently stopped pining for the old days and decided to get on and find a chrome curis like the one my dad bought me in 1984.

That was a pro, and I've only been able to find myself an expert.

At the risk of starting off by making you lot think I'm a pillock, can someone just confirm the difference for me? I used to know, but I have consumed many things that have damaged me since then.

Never stopped riding though, drifted into the road and mtb. Never realised the OS scene was so big and you fella's still race!

Bet no one remebers the Birchwood Bears and the track in Lincoln?

Help appreciated.

Dan

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
Re: Curtis Expert/Pro?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Brian Curtis  Expert- 84/85 Onwards

Curtis Pro

Curtis Expert

Curtis Cruiser - One of three that are known to be in existance !

Curtis Freestyler

Me and Brian Curtis

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:09 PM »

do you like a curtis then nick ?

Dan73

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Bloody Hell Nick! I think I've found me an expert.

Fantastic collection you have there, and great to see the man himself. I know they were still building bikes from keeping up with the mtb scene.

So it looks like the expert is a slightly shorter frame, but obviously both T45 and the quality looks identical.

I'm going to get the expert re-chromed anyway, and build it up, and I'll keep my eye out for a pro. Be pleased to hear if anyone has one on offer?

Can you advise on decals? I've got a black set but ideally would like blue.

Thanks a lot mate, and I shall be retiring shortly to spend some 'me time' with that picture of the pro in blue!

Cheers

Dan

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:06 PM »
The frame is shorter, you can mainly tell by the shortness of the seat post (bb to top tube)

I have blue decals mate - just send me a pm  :daumenhoch:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Curtis Pro

trasher

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:27 PM »
well if you two are at it  :2funny:

curtis pro

curtis exp

Dan73

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Class the gay pensioner. Chuffed to see so many examples of these bikes.

I've seen more tonight than I ever saw bitd. Mine was the only one in Lincoln for about a year in 1984!

Glad they are still getting the respect they deserve.

currio

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 10:47 PM »
Nick, that Brian Curtis Expert is lovely.
Love the F/F, love the colours, and the blue aero rims with the black tyres  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

moochalargo

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I've recently got an expert with Ni forks that I'm going a bit nuts on and just got a pro f+f that had a horrid paint job which was covering some bad rot on the tubing in places.

I think it can be sorted with led filling? Or not !? Can you chrome over led.  Will post pics when all buts are here as some are at chrome.

monkian

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Get some pics up. I'm already loving this thread 8) :daumenhoch:
Welcome to RAD Dan :)

In2 bmx

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 11:27 AM »
 ::)  Glen It looks more like this now  :daumenhoch: Curtis Pro bars and DX pedals and Gen 1 tuf neck  :daumenhoch:  It Looks Faster  :LolLolLolLol:

trasher

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 06:06 PM »
::)  Glen It looks more like this now  :daumenhoch: Curtis Pro bars and DX pedals and Gen 1 tuf neck  :daumenhoch:  It Looks Faster  :LolLolLolLol:

bastard  :LolLolLolLol:    ok so i sold it to carl ,,,,,,, kind of wish i hadn't ,,,but hey ho .................looking good dude ,,,allbeit a bit slower  :LolLolLolLol:

Dan73

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Thanks for the welcome lads.

Spoke with Curtis this week (not Brian but the other fella). Great bloke. The frame goes there on Monday to get a new rear brake bridge fitted, and once I've got it back it's going straight off to be re-chromed.

I'll get some pics up ASAP.

I'd be grateful for some words on what handlebar stem would be most in keeping for the bike. My memory has gone on that one. Also tyres? I was going to for comp 3's?

Thanks again fella's.

Dan

moochalargo

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Oh that's good and bad news! Didn't know that Curtis will replace the bridge and mine has gone of to chrome with it's squashed one still in. Oh well !

My pro was painted and I have removed the horrid colour to find the tubes ar badly pitted from rust. Can anything be done with these? I do want to chrome it so can I fill and smooth the tubes on any way or is this frame set destined to spend the rest of it's life on paint?

Will get pics up when the exp is back.
Cheers

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Oh that's good and bad news! Didn't know that Curtis will replace the bridge and mine has gone of to chrome with it's squashed one still in. Oh well !

My pro was painted and I have removed the horrid colour to find the tubes ar badly pitted from rust. Can anything be done with these? I do want to chrome it so can I fill and smooth the tubes on any way or is this frame set destined to spend the rest of it's life on paint?

Will get pics up when the exp is back.
Cheers
the problem with chroming is the prep,its all in the prep!!!!even a good chromer will strugle to polish up the fiddly bits on a bike frame before its chromed especiaslly if the bike was painted originally meaning the tubes would have never ever had a polish.if the frame was chrome originally then youve got a fighting chance as the tubes would have been all polished prior to being chromed.be prepared to be disappionted,chromers will take the job on wothout telling you the risks when they already know if its gonna turn out any good or not.chroming is a mine field,best thing to do is take it to a local one and discuss it with them,dont chance it,its all in the communication,believe me,most radsters will tell you this  :daumenhoch:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Curtis Expert/Pro?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx