gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 03:15 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  S&M Dirtbike's?...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: S&M Dirtbike's?...  (Read 1275 times)

magna13

S&M Dirtbike's?...
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:04 PM »
Whats your veiws on these early 90's bikes? i've always had a soft spot for one even though i sadly havent owned one. I've always wanted to know if they ride nice and are good enough to race? they seem to be coming up thick and fast on RAD and for quite nice prices too that fit my budget! lets talk :daumenhoch:

thecaptain

Re: S&M Dirtbike's?...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 05:10 PM »
I grew up watching fids ride sidley woods and bexhill track on dirtbikes, also my cousins were all riding dirtbikes, its what got me into the sport and kept me out of trouble. I eventually got to own a dirtbike around 97, hand-me-down of course but I beat that thing to death learing tricks and whatnot.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 05:10 PM »
good bikes and were strong enough for thier day, made for racing at the weekends and dirt jumping in the week

but if you are around 6ft then you will prob find em too short, thats where the holmes comes in :daumenhoch:  

bmxbert

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:59 PM »
what kesv said   

im under 6 foot by quite alot but holmes is by far a nicer ride if you ask me. and ive had about 6 of each lol

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:23 PM »
I've noticed theres been a few dirtbikes for sale on ere lately, its getting the parts for building em up that can be tricky, bmx was in a decline in the nineties so parts werent mass produced like in the eighties

And mid schoolers seem to be a right bunch of hoarders...  >:D

They're a bit on the short side if your tall 20.25"tt.... as said above... lol

Just get one bought, ya gotta love a Dirtbike...  :smitten:

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:45 PM »
i'm only 5 foot 10 but mine looks long as fook compared to me old school bikes.still want
a holmes as well though.

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 08:14 AM »
I rode a Dirtbike from 1991 till about 1998 (when I got all weight weenied and changed to a Challenger). I've had about 5 or 6 dirtbikes and they were great. Looking back now, the top tube were a little short for me but I didnt want to go for a Holmes cos the back end was so long. I should have got a custom frame with a Holmes front end and a Dirtbike rear end.

scott250

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 09:45 AM »
I rode a Dirtbike from 1991 till about 1998 (when I got all weight weenied and changed to a Challenger). I've had about 5 or 6 dirtbikes and they were great. Looking back now, the top tube were a little short for me but I didnt want to go for a Holmes cos the back end was so long. I should have got a custom frame with a Holmes front end and a Dirtbike rear end.

That basicly why I loved the STA, had the long front and shorter back - the holmes always felt like a long snake  ;D  - holmes was way good on dirt though.  Dirt bikes were a great all rounder.  Funny, because I think newschool bikes have the back ends too short now, haha.  I run a 250s at the moment and my back wheel is away from the frame now ::)

LENNY-LENTINI

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:10 AM »
The prices of these frames/bikes at the moment are ridiculously low. I remember 13 years ago I gave away a Craig Campbell Prolite and a Haro 88 Master simply because they were not of the time, now look at the prices they command! At these prices S&M Frames and bikes are a total investment, 5-10 years from now the prices will be rocketing.

I have a Dirtbike 97 20.25" a-head (rider) and a 97-98 a-head Holmes (rider) I'm 6 foot dead and find the Dirtbike a little short but a nice ride. The Holmes for me is a different league. It just rides super sweet and super stable, whether it's at the local track, Birmingham Creation skatepark or a street sesh round Shottingham.

The rear triangle on the Holmes was very long approx 15.5-16" with a U-brake but if you run an old skool caliper instead on the seat stay bridge you can shorten the back end to around 14.75"

Both bikes run Pitchforks from the same era (also stupidly cheap at the moment) and Slams and are super solid and will probably last forever.

Standard bikes from the Mid era are also cheap and collectable but for me I always liked the whole ethos behind the S&M brand.

Get an A-head one if your gonna ride it. Keep the Faith brothers. L 

nomad

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I used to have a Holmes, was the last frame before I stopped riding first time around. Rode lovely, I am over 6foot but had always rode short frames before, just prefered the feel of them, but the Holmes was so "right". Still miss that bike :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  S&M Dirtbike's?...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx