gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 01:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  DP Mini Freestyler
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DP Mini Freestyler  (Read 4333 times)

fatboymal

DP Mini Freestyler
« on: March 04, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Haven't been on radbmx for a long time, but an old (and probably my last) old school project is finally coming together, so I thought I'd make a quick post to see how many were about - I know it's not many. A DP Mini Freestyler, the 20" version, in chrome.

:smitten:

Bought it to build up for my daughter in around '03 or '04, originally as a frame only in white. The white "paint" was the thickest powdercoating I have ever seen, could only be removed by covering a small patch at a time with stripper and peeling the edge with your hands (gloved!). It came off like wallpaper, a small strip at a time. I'd guess it's taken about 60 hours to strip (over the 6 or so years), but guess what was underneath the powdercoat? Glorious original chrome, in fantastic condition! I was also lucky enough to pick up the correct forks in around '05, NOS from a bike shop, also in chrome.

Now it's just at my local bike shop having the headset cups pressed in (no hammer and wood for this baby), should have it back later today. Quick polish, then the sticker set, and I'll post pictures tomorrow. I have 2 sticker sets (gold & black version), one original and one repro, but I think I'll have to use the repro as the original is curled and too far gone to use.

So, anyone else have one they can show a pic of while I'm waiting? I've seen the photo of a blue one on dpfirebird.co.uk, and there is one photo on the board of a chrome one I found when searching. Any others, I'd love to see them.  :)

firebird

Re: DP Mini Freestyler
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:47 AM »
ooooohhhhh   :smitten:

can't wait to see this one, been after one of these for a while now. have you got everything to build it up? can i see a picture of the original decals?

steve

fatboymal

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Hey Firebird, nice website you have. Is the blue one on the site yours?

I kept a full set of parts to build it, the list is a bit of a mish mash, left overs from old builds. I think (haven't looked in the parts box for some time) it was:

Black Skyway Tuff IIs, fitted with new axles
NOS Comp III Black/Skin 1.5's
NOS Dia Compe MX890 Chrome
NOS Dia Compe Tech 3 Chrome (or 4?)
NOS Chrome Sugino 1 pc crank
NOS Blue Chainwheel/chrome spider (can't remember which)
NOS Blue/Silver Isumi chain
Shimano SX pedals
NOS Suntour Power Stem Blue
SE Racing Mini Bars (were NOS, but I stripped them years ago)
NOS A'ME mini grips black
NOS Chrome Locking Headset
NOS Elina UL black
NOS Suntour seat clamp blue

Bit of a blue/black mix going on, but it will do to start. If my daughter likes it I may get some black parts to replace the blue.

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:08 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this one also  :daumenhoch:

fatboymal

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Grrr. Just been over the bike shop, the tolerances on the YST headset I bought are shit (measured it there). Good enough to build and assemble, but not to ride - I'll have to buy another.

In the meantime I've been trying to do a little research on the Mini. There was a post on FB from a guy Nick who had a chrome one BITD. His parents owned the Brighton bike shop Sussex BMX, and was also a sponsored rider. He states he was given his by the DP factory, and it was one of only 2 chrome ones made - the other being given to a boy with a hole in his heart. Anyone else know more? After messaging him he also kindly confirmed I had the correct forks, same as the ones used in the great "Little, Large, And Totally Wild" DP ad.

Pics coming soon..

fatboymal

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Ok, got it from the bike shop. Fit on headset turned out pretty good in the end, steerer tube on unused forks needed threading and cutting down, looks spanking. Covered in grease now, but will clean abd polish it later and sticker it up. In the meantime, apologies for crappy iphone pic in office:

fatboymal

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 02:07 PM »
This pic shows the almost straight top tubes a bit better, wish I had my camera on me!

Marcus (mivvi?), do you still hang out here? Weren't you looking for one of these some years ago? (Saw someone who ran into Nick!)

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:40 AM »
this is going to be a great build, nice to see another rare F&F surface on RAD

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:14 AM »
WOW - I want one of these for my daughter  :4_17_5:

Very much looking fwd to seeing this built up  :angel:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 08:44 AM »
I want one for me  :smitten:

That is real nice to see ,not sure i have ever seen another  :-\

Can't wait to see it done  ;)

fatboymal

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 12:15 PM »
A couple of hours polishing with a cold beer last night did wonders. The powdercoat really must have protected the chrome, it is better on the frame than on the NOS forks. Made we wish for the first time that I had one of those dremel polishers, to get in the tricky bits under the frame, must be getting old!

Some photos, still taken under crappy light in the office but with a better camera - gives you some idea.

First the bad bits. Frame was obviously used, you can just see some small wear under the brake bolt hole - but what a shine!

The worst bit, 2 pinch marks on the outer dropout (though I won't be able to see them when built, they are very close together). Inner dropout has larger wear mark - almost like a hub had rubbed?

Very small rub on one chainstay - wheel not centered?

Other dropout better, but slight pinch marks:

That's it really, the shine is just great. Some shiny chrome photos:

Now for the stickers. Steve, I turned the house upside down last night and could not find the originals, but as and when I come accross them I'll post a photo. I did find 2 sets of repro, one in red/black and one gold/black. It just has to be gold/black for me.

fatboymal

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Meths, followed by warm soapy water and lots of measurement, but in the end still comes down to "oh sod it, that looks alright". Great repro stickers, think they are firebird's (steve)?

I know the "Made in Britain" go on the lower rear chainstays, but this set also has a small pair of vertical "Firebird" stickers (miniatures of those on the forks). I don't recall these, where did they go?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:56 PM »
That looks fantastic, she will look a beaute when she's built  :4_17_5:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

fatboymal

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 02:04 PM »
I've been looking through my old photos to find one of the mini frame before I stripped the powdercoat, and found one with it next to a freestyler I had restored by Argos in Bristol. Never mind the state of the mini freestyler though, have a look at the "normal" frame next to it. I bought this from Orb (I think), who said it was one of a batch found in a warehouse, more than a bit knackered.

DP laser cutout on the brake bridge, and the raised coaster bracket. It is not a GL Plus as it does not have the guide holes, so what is it? Just a late frame?

magna13

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Wow!, whatta amazing rare frameset we have here :smitten: you got to love a DP, if i ever have money, this is the first proper old school build i want to do :smitten:

fatboymal

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 04:28 PM »
The SE Mini bars just look manky (on the table in the background), so have a NOS set of Win V's for the moment, but they are too high really. May need to get the SE bars chromed - what started as chucking the bits I had left on it, now I want a bit more as the frame is so nice. Couldn't find the blue seatclamp, but I like the gold/chrome/black thing, it matches the firebird decals perfectly.

It's certainly crying out for a gold mini stem - any suggestions?

mark 2

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 04:49 PM »
I've got a mini gold suntour stem I had in a for sale thread somewhere.......

:daumenhoch:
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=103221.0

fatboymal

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Well, finished the build (mish mash of colours) and my daughter promptly rode it into the nearest wall and then couldn't understand why I shouted. To be fair I used to fling my bikes to see how far they would go without me before crashing into something, so perhaps I'd better buy her a new school she can destroy at will. Last build over.  :(

Looks like the frame and forks will go on the office wall, will be a nice counter to the 50's Claud Butler track frame heading to Argos to be restored.  :)

firebird

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 12:55 PM »
did you get any pictures of it fully built?

steve

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Yes, pics please  :daumenhoch:

fatboymal

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 07:37 AM »
I didn't take any of it fully built, it was a bit patchy colour wise so didn't look it's best...

fatboymal

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Now for sale, if anyone wants to make an offer pm me. I would post in the For Sale section but I can't work out how to pay my sub!

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 02:20 AM »
Now I know how Eve felt... and thats a sweet apple Mal  >:D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

firebirdmini

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 07:57 PM »
having ridden at hounslow bmx during the days of bmx beat, i had a march mini and a firebird freestyler mini, i was in the loft the other day and came across my 2 bikes, didnt realise thier was such a following of these bikes. I plan to restore the dp firebird freestyler mini to original conditon, does any body have any press pics at the time or  any other info, it was along time ago thanks for help, will post pics of pre restoration,  i have red decals on mine,

firebird

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 08:02 PM »
I'd like to see some pictures if you have any at hand?

Cheers steve

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  DP Mini Freestyler

gfxgfx
gfx gfx