gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 12:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polishing help needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Polishing help needed  (Read 690 times)

TIMMO1966

Polishing help needed
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Hi All,i am looking at getting some polishing tools for some aluminium parts that need sorting but i have no idea what i need.I have scratches and anodising that need to be removed.Any help would be appreciated.thanks Tim

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
Re: Polishing help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Some decent beginners kits here mate http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/   or try ebay  :daumenhoch:

To remove the scratches , work through the grades with wet and dry paper or if they are only feint the polishing kit will take them out .

Anodising needs to be removed with either 'oven pride' or my favourite 'Caustic soda' , read the instructions though as they are both highy corrosive .  Do a search on here , there has been loads of tec and resto threads on removing ano , Snav69 (Paul) did a good one using oven pride on a seatpost  ;)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:56 AM »
hello tim, i did some the other day.

i used oven pride and those food bags from the supermarket ( the quite thick sealable ones ) stick on some gloves and pour a small amount of ovenpride into the food bag.

stick the part in seal and then rub the solution through the bag into the part. you will see the solution turn the same colour as the ano being removed. dont leave it in too long as it will go black ( if this happens dont worry as it should polish off ) remove part and rinse under the tap and dry.

then if scratched use some wet and dry paper ( halfords or any car parts centre ) and work your way through the grades i always use soap and water for this process.

finally buff with some autosol and it should shine shine shine

regards dave :daumenhoch:

TIMMO1966

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys,been out and got a polishing kit and some oven pride,job for the weekend i reckon.

Offline oldschoolib

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:26 PM »
jof been drinking caustic is deadly i put some on a clamp and forgot about it and you can guess what happened go with oven pride us simpletons are better with it

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polishing help needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx