gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 09:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  If you like my Torker, maybe you'll like this: 1979 Patterson Anderson Avalanche
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: If you like my Torker, maybe you'll like this: 1979 Patterson Anderson Avalanche  (Read 1999 times)

PlanetX

1979 (maybe 1980) Patterson Anderson Avalanche built like Richie Anderson's 1979 bike, but blue instead of red.

PlanetX

Spec and more pics.

Frame: Anderson Avalanche, OG nickel, OG stickers
Fork: Redline Microline, NOS
Headset: Frankenstein Schwinn, Tange and Hatta parts
Stem: Tuf-Neck, Un-Stamped
Bars: Redline Microline V-Bar, OG finish
Seatpost: VDC fluted alloy
Saddle: Kashimax MX
Seatclamp: Suntour
Cranks: Campagnolo Strada 175 with Sugino, drilled, 51T chainring, Campagnolo chainring bolts, Campagnolo crank caps
BB: Torker sealed
Freewheel: Suntour, 3/32" 18-tooth
Pedals: Reedy
Chain: Regina Drilled
Wheels: Araya 7b front, Araya 20 x 1 1/8” rear, Suzue hubs
Tires: Mitsubishi Comp II 20 x 1.75 front, 20 x 1 1/8” Swallow rear
Brakes: Mafac center-pulls with Kool Stop Continental pads, Dia-Compe Quick Release cable hanger, Campagnolo cable clamps, Pre-Bent Dia-Compe with rubber sleeve
Grips: A’me Bubble Font Tri
Other: Vinyl frame and handle bar pads, Tuf-Neck stem pad, 44-16 Designs Handmade Replica number plate

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:51 PM by PlanetX »

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
fookin lovely build dude :daumenhoch:  guessing the huge chainring was to compensate for the speed of the old downhill tracks, but what was the idea behind the diff size rims?

dan-dare

yep, tis a beauty. :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

PlanetX

You got me and Richie has no idea, either. He was only 12 at the time and his dad built his bikes. Apparently his dad was a bit of a tech wiennie  and came up with the set-up. The 51T paired with a 19T rear (Richie ran a 19T, I have an 18T.) isn't so high really. A bit taller than 44-16. He also ran 180 cranks--and he was pretty small at the time.

Why the bigger rear wheel? No clue, but I do think that and the large chainring led the his using the one-off frame he had with the center-pull brakes mounted on the chainstays. If you run the center-pulls under the seatstays, as was popular at the time, the brakes rub on the chain. That said, running them as I am works fine, so not sure why he did that, either.

baldbmxer

Really nice build. Quirky as hell but cool as hell at the same time  :daumenhoch:

Love the nickel finish.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
didnt really notice the freewheel size til after i posted ::) but reckon i would have been logically correct :D

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
bad ass bike..

love it :daumenhoch:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
wow rare bit of kit  :smitten:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
51/19 equates to about 43/16, the slightly taller 1 3/8 rim makes it nearly the same as 44/16 on a 20x1.75 rim :daumenhoch:

kevin (A.K.A) kai riviere

the bigger rear wheel may possibly have been to fine tune the gear ratio. i've seen it done here in the UK back in the 80's when you can't get the desired ratio with a 20" wheel. slower gates/acceleration but higher top end once rolling & the 180mm cranks may have been to compensate for the gate/acceleration issue.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
lovin that.
my fav rider bitd
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
I love replica builds. Very cool and unique for sure

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Nice work  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:

Some cool parts there for sure  :coolsmiley:

The campy cranks and reedy peds are 2 that stand out for me  8)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

se

Absolute beaut nice work.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  If you like my Torker, maybe you'll like this: 1979 Patterson Anderson Avalanche

gfxgfx
gfx gfx