gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 12:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  handheld image scanner (decals)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: handheld image scanner (decals)  (Read 849 times)

firebird4130

handheld image scanner (decals)
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Anyone used this method to reprodce decals that are on a frame?

firebird4130

Re: handheld image scanner (decals)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:28 PM »
saw this on another forum
I have never gotten a decal off without wrecking it.

There are a ton of handheld image scanners available now that either peice the image rows together an inch or so at a time, or have a 6-8 inch width of scan. Some are like .99 cents going no bid on ebay. And many are 89 bucks in battery pen type form brand new. Some do images at like 300x300 dpi.

Some are battery powered with memory like a digital camera. Wouldn't that be cool to walk up to somebody's bike at an OS show, and swipe your battery powered pen scanner across his decals a few times and walk away with the blueprint for your new decals.

With CAD programs you can trace items and create line drawings of things. If you wrap a piece of paper around a JMC vinyl graphic and make a good old fashioned rubbing of it. You can scan it, work it into CAD and anybody can plug it into thier vinyl graphics cutter and make as many as you want that way.

If you trace the outline of the decal, and create an accurately sized outline in the puter, and fit all photos to that outline, the scale should be accurate.

Chrome is a bugger on the scanner, I know that. So are prism sparkles. The reflect the light and make a black mess...

Some interesting ideas with the camera here. But I have to wonder what a 100 dollar handheld scanner could produce as an anytime anywhere solution. I presume that every 3 months the old handheld scanners are infinately outdated, and should be getting cooler in leaps and bounds nowadays. Kind of like digital cameras leaping to 9 megapixels, making 4 megapixels cheap now...

Anybody ever try anything like that?

What ever happened to simple technology like the Silly-putty on the newspaper trick anyway?

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:33 PM »
used one a long time ago.... wont use one again.

firebird4130

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:35 PM »
ah well, back to the old tracing paper  :LolLolLolLol:
cheers del  :daumenhoch:

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 08:39 PM »
to be honest it was a long time ago fraz, but I cant see how you can get a good image from a decal wrapped round a metal tube.... they're on for doing scans of something flat on a vertical face or a scan of a decal thats on some really fat flat tubing... PK or floval for instance

firebird4130

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:46 PM »
thought there might be one where you could do it bit by bit or something, sure I saw it on some inventions program a while back

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 08:49 PM »
there might be now, not looked at them for ages... if you find something usefull let me know

peteox

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Sounds interesting,
It should be ok as a template to vectorize manually along with dimensions.
I still find myself putting whole frames etc in scanner when desperate!
Can you let me know how it goes if you get one.

firebird4130

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 09:19 PM »
yeah if I get hold of something I'll be sure to update mate  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  handheld image scanner (decals)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx