gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 11:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Any tips for getting smoother in my riding?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Any tips for getting smoother in my riding?  (Read 2262 times)

Bushwacked

Any tips for getting smoother in my riding?
« on: October 01, 2008, 05:28 PM »
I'm happy with the speed I'm progressing at but wonder if anyone has any tips on how to smooth my riding out a little - namely working on getting a bit more fluid on my airs, hops and jump landings...???

:daumenhoch:

evilone

Re: Any tips for getting smoother in my riding?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 07:50 PM »
practise is the answer.

Bushwacked

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:05 PM »
I agree practice is the key - but any areas I should focus on - for example - perhaps spending time practicng endos / bunny hops may help my airs etc...

evamedia

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:16 AM »
the only way to practice airs, is to do airs. Thousands and thousands of airs...

evilone

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 01:37 PM »
I agree practice is the key - but any areas I should focus on - for example - perhaps spending time practicng endos / bunny hops may help my airs etc...
[/quote

just keep at em mate,start slow ang gradually go higher,then when you happy with hight then start to learn variations i.e x-ups,1 footers,1handers etc etc.practice makes perfect.
all the best mate.

Bushwacked

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 02:25 PM »
Cheers - Nice one!

Guillotte

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Watch your favorite rider and imagine what they are feeling. Then do the same.

Bushwacked

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 09:01 AM »
I love watching people riding stuff and it looking like they are just flowing over stuff without it being there.... A couple of riders come to mind I've seen and will bear that in mind when I see them next.

reay900tap

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 11:16 AM »
I think being smooth and looking natural on a bike is down to time spent on your bike, try using it as everyday transport..
I ride mine dropping the kids of at school, picking them up, to the shops and try to always ride to my local park, mint on the way there, crap on the way back as its all up hill, if you do it all the time you will pick up little runs and tricks to do on each journey and before you know it the bike will be an extension of yourself, sounds corney but it works..
everything after that seems alot easyier..
with airs (although I'm not that good at them myself) a big mistake often made is to 'bunnyhop' at the coping, should always let the transition push you out, takes practice but makes it a whole lot easyier.. then watch for the coping to push yourself back into..

hope this helps :daumenhoch:

evamedia

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 01:18 PM »
a big mistake often made is to 'bunnyhop' at the coping, should always let the transition push you out

hmmmm....I find that depends on what sort of ramp you are airing, if it's a mini ramp (doesn't reach vert) then I think it's very much like an american bunny hop (pull front wheel out of coping, and hop back wheel).

trill

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 02:15 PM »
you should always pull out a bite if u are airing mini's,on vert u should just flow out.

reay900tap

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 02:31 PM »
it all comes with pratice and bike control, what I'm trying to get at is the full bunny hop that some people do at the coping, a local lad to our park ..::Johnbmx::.. on here, can air 5-6' out of a 4' mellow 1/4, its all pump and no hop...

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 03:18 PM »
As above there's no substitute for time in the saddle:

However I do believe that - where your focus is - can smooth out your style greatly:

If your looking at your landing as you come down, then your going to hit harder then if your focus is further forward (the next jump, berm, straight)

That's were the practice comes in - look further forward then were your riding and everything will progress to the next level.

evamedia

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 03:21 PM »

If your looking at your landing as you come down, then your going to hit harder then if your focus is further forward

I'm gonna keep looking at the coping thanks, all you racers are mental

JT71

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 04:27 PM »
practise practise practise

I've ridden more this week than i ever have before.

sat: novice night
sun: a few ins on some crete park
monday: chacombe mini ramp
tues: chacombe mini ramp
weds: chacombe, rained off
thurs: chacombe mini ramp
friday: chacombe mini ramp and maybe 30 mins at alan higgs if it's scum free this evening.

whilst I must confess my riding is still in the stage before "novice" I'm loving it. still no tricks, but dropping in and out is coming more natural everytime i ride, nearly got a peg stall today, bike was upright enough that it slid down but i wasn't high enough to hook
the pegs up. but it's getting there.....slowly. not trying to force it, just trying to enjoy myself.

i've been lucky that i've managed 30-40mins most lunchtimes this week, as it's stayed dryish.

I'm far from "smooth" but I'm way more confident today than i was last saturday.

Bushwacked

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 07:06 PM »
I'm assuming your golf has gone from bad to worse then???!!! ;D ;D

JT71

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 07:13 PM »
I'm assuming your golf has gone from bad to worse then???!!! ;D ;D

I'm too young for golf.  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

and as a great man once said....well, he's said it more than once...you're only old when you stop.  :daumenhoch:

where is jedi? can't bloody text him cos i left my phone at work.

jedi

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 09:47 PM »
you only grow old when you stop  <fact>

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 10:48 PM »
At our age sadly,  you'll need to ride a minimum of twice a week just to feel the very most basic of progressions.  As for riding smooth, it's all about being relaxed and staying focused.  That all comes with familiarity obviously  :)

Bushwacked

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 06:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice - more time on the bike is best...!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:43 AM by Bushwacked »

RADHAB

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 12:04 PM »
Easy...........Relaxxxxxx :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 04:07 PM »
Relaxing is the key...but my hands still hurt from gripping the bars too hard.

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

and i only got 30 mins riding in today.  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Any tips for getting smoother in my riding?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx