gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975626 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 06:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  The first CanCan Air?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The first CanCan Air?  (Read 1731 times)

bmxer4ever

The first CanCan Air?
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:16 PM »
While looking for Tony Murray pics for Andy, I came across this in Bmx Plus! September 1985. I thought I'd ripped this out, stuck it on the wall and it was long gone, but no - there it was!

Mike Dominguez, Del Mar Skatepark and the first cancan air I'd ever seen!

The pic blew me away - a whole new area of riding opened up and we were learning them within the week!

Anyone have any earlier evidence of this trick. Did Tony Murray do them before Mike?
Or was it someone else...?

POST # 600!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:28 PM by bmxer4ever »

Trev

Re: The first CanCan Air?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:20 AM »
Nope, I'm pretty sure it as Dominguez that invented it. He also invented the no footed can can, although his version, his left foot was still to the left of his right foot (i.e. his right foot stepped over the top tube but not over his left leg like everyone else did.)

fraz167

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:52 AM »
When was the pic of Jess D in Action Bike at Bmx Beat doing Can Can's on his Green Perfomrer with  Yellow Tuffs,

IN fact wasn't there a pic of Mike D as well in the same section??

Cheers
Fraser

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:01 AM »
When was the pic of Jess D in Action Bike at Bmx Beat doing Can Can's on his Green Perfomrer with  Yellow Tuffs,
IN fact wasn't there a pic of Mike D as well in the same section??

Was that the one where they were asking " who does them better?". Jess's looked more extended, but Mikes looked more like he was just trying to cross his legs, not kick it right down.

Trev

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Yeah, that was the one with Dominguez on the cover doing a cancan and Jess was maybe on Radness Unlimited.
Never saw Mike D's on vid back then, but saw Jess. He just kinda flicked his leg very quickly on BMX Beat.
Pepi done it really nice in the BMX Beat final that year. But that was after the ramp final got postponed for about a month or so.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Nope, I'm pretty sure it as Dominguez that invented it. He also invented the no footed can can, although his version, his left foot was still to the left of his right foot (i.e. his right foot stepped over the top tube but not over his left leg like everyone else did.)

The reason I raise the question is the caption on this pic of Tony M. from BMX PLUS!

Wonder if anyone knows for sure...?

bof

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:46 PM »
I remember reading the bmx plus with the can can in it and learning them within a few nights, but i think this picture is from 86  :daumenhoch:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 06:36 PM »
Are you sure it wasn't Mat Hoffman - he's credited with inventing everything!  :LolLolLolLol:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Trev

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Are you sure it wasn't Mat Hoffman - he's credited with inventing everything!  :LolLolLolLol:

for sure, he's credited with a lot that he didn't invent. But back then us Brits weren't allowed to invent anything.

Candy Bar was Pepi.
Bar Hop Air I'm sure was Steve Laidlaw.

Both credited to Mr Hoffman.

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:26 PM »

for sure, he's credited with a lot that he didn't invent. But back then us Brits weren't allowed to invent anything.

Candy Bar was Pepi.
Bar Hop Air I'm sure was Steve Laidlaw.

Both credited to Mr Hoffman.

bar hop air.   how mental is that. i wouldn't even attempt a barhop on the ground.   When i'm doing my 1 inch airs, I sometimes wonder how anyone manages to squeeze something like a barhop into the trick.. quite impossible if you ask me...
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Trev

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 11:59 PM »
well pepi done the candy bar about 2 years before mat "invented" it.
i remember seeing steve laidlaw do a bar hop air at holeshot one year, at least a year before hoffman done it.

this was when the brits first started taking it to the US riders. although the US failed to recognise this.

also remember Craig Campbell doing a rocket air long before hoffman "invented" it.

stumpy

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 09:09 AM »

also remember Craig Campbell doing a rocket air long before hoffman "invented" it.

Trev, didn't Ron Wilkerson do this first?

Stumpy

Trev

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 10:06 AM »

Stumpy

I'm pretty sure Craig done it first. In 86 i believe. The was a feature on it in Action Bike.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 01:27 PM »

Stumpy

I'm pretty sure Craig done it first. In 86 i believe. The was a feature on it in Action Bike.

I think it was Craig too. Need to get the rest of my mags from my folks and hunt some of this stuff down!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:56 PM by bmxer4ever »

spesh

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 02:15 PM »
ive just removed that dominguez pic as my background super cool pic tho :daumenhoch:

welsh denny

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 02:49 PM »

Stumpy

I think it was Craig too. Need to get the rest of my mags from my folks and hunt some of this stuff down!

yep, i can remember craig campbell doing it first in 1986. wasn't the cardiff national the end of that years nationals cos i'm sure he unveiled it at that.
 i remember craig doing the rocket air and he used to go up the ramp with one foot on the peg , air and put the other foot on the other peg then get back on the pedals. sure cardiff was the first comp he pulled it in unless anyone else can say otherwise. i have it on video but it can be quite hard to see properly due to the age of the tape,etc.

andy619

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 02:53 PM »
well pepi done the candy bar about 2 years before mat "invented" it.
i remember seeing steve laidlaw do a bar hop air at holeshot one year, at least a year before hoffman done it.

this was when the brits first started taking it to the US riders. although the US failed to recognise this.

I recognised it Trev ;)

bmxer4ever

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 04:00 PM »

Stumpy

yep, i can remember craig campbell doing it first in 1986. wasn't the cardiff national the end of that years nationals cos i'm sure he unveiled it at that.
 i remember craig doing the rocket air and he used to go up the ramp with one foot on the peg , air and put the other foot on the other peg then get back on the pedals. sure cardiff was the first comp he pulled it in unless anyone else can say otherwise. i have it on video but it can be quite hard to see properly due to the age of the tape,etc.

I'm sure I rode Masterclass at that comp - think it's the only time I've been to Cardiff! - but I'm damned if I can remember anything about it!
G

lodge

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 04:11 PM »
The first time i recall CC doing the rocket air was Lowestoft bfa national 86, I had this on vid so remember it well, he didn't use he's pegs though.
He also did it at the next nationals that year poole,cardiff.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 04:23 PM »
The first time i recall CC doing the rocket air was Lowestoft bfa national 86, I had this on vid so remember it well, he didn't use he's pegs though.
He also did it at the next nationals that year poole,cardiff.

Damn - I was at that one too! Still don't remember!

welsh denny

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 08:55 PM »

I'm sure I rode Masterclass at that comp - think it's the only time I've been to Cardiff! - but I'm damned if I can remember anything about it!
G
[/quote]

gary, can you remember dave slade having a bad run on ramps. his last trick he pedalled towards the quarter and attempted a massive 540 (6ft maybe which was huge back then). he overrotated and spun 720, missed the ramp and landed on the floor. he rear skyway shattered into a thousand pieces. havn't got it on tape but that was one crazy crash which is instilled in my memory.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 10:52 AM »

G

gary, can you remember dave slade having a bad run on ramps. his last trick he pedalled towards the quarter and attempted a massive 540 (6ft maybe which was huge back then). he overrotated and spun 720, missed the ramp and landed on the floor. he rear skyway shattered into a thousand pieces. havn't got it on tape but that was one crazy crash which is instilled in my memory.
[/quote]

Rings a bell.......damn my feeble mind!

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 10:40 PM »

Aye...I remember that Denny, I was with him that day!

The little fella could be a nutter when his head went!

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  The first CanCan Air?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx