gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975653 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6351 Members - Latest Member: Spencerkidd July 07, 2024, 06:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Lighten Up!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Lighten Up!  (Read 472 times)

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Lighten Up!
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Bear with me, I'm just posting out-loud...
I've got a late 90s Barcode frame doing nothing at the moment. I'm loathe to sell it, the damn took too much effort to make rideable as there was about a pound of paint to strip and a jammed seatpost to tackle. Very good geometry, but too heavy. Right now it's in the shed whilst I ride my Standard (which must be, ooooh, ounces lighter). So I was wondering if I could lighten it a little, in a warranty-busting fashion. I know I could trim the dropouts and drill the seattube under where the clamp goes, but why stop there?
Is it possible to mill out metal on the tubing so that it's thinner? Kind of like a Grim Reaper but not all the way through? Wouldn't save all that much weight, but a lot of the strength would still be there.
It could also be made a little lighter (and up-to-date) by enlarging the holes in the bottom bracket. Anyone any ideas how that could be done?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Lighten Up!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Wayne wouldn`t it be easier to get lighter parts, I would have thought that the most you could remove from the frame would possably would be about a lb ?

Get lighter tyres , like the khe foldable ones, as that will make it ride a lot lighter because of reducing the rolling mass  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Lighten Up!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:19 AM »
To be honest, I'd probably be very lucky to manage that much! The frame must weigh well over 6lb, so it'd definitely be an improvement.
The tyres sound a good plan, and my habit of using 4 steel pegs & double-wall rims is a bit overkill and 90s. Old habits...

The drill's been wielded lately and one peg's resembling a Sten Gun barrel now. Some slotted pegs just came out, which inspired some noisy weekend pursuits. Won't go too mad with it.
Holes are cheap, though, and there's a buying ban on place now till Christmas is over. Waaaaah!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Lighten Up!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx