gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 01:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Mike Kowal Reynolds 531 BMX - anybody heard of them?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mike Kowal Reynolds 531 BMX - anybody heard of them?  (Read 5744 times)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Mike Kowal Reynolds 531 BMX - anybody heard of them?
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:42 AM »
Anybody ever heard of a  :Great_Britain: bike builder called Mike Kowal? Spen for ‘Kowalski’, or so I have read.

Quite a long story but as a lad during the early 80’s me and my mates all used to hang around together and mess about on our BMX, as I am sure you all did. One lad in our group was lucky in that his dad used to own the local bike shop in our town – Perks Cycles. This was the place we all used to go to drool over the expensive and exotic parts our parents could never afford.

Anyway – whilst daydreaming a few days ago I started thinking back, and suddenly had a vivid memory of Jon Perks riding around with us on a very lightweight looking shiny chrome frame dripping with what were presumably high-end parts from his the ‘Perks Cycles’ shop. I’d somehow completely forgotten about it until that point.

I took it upon myself to message him with a cheeky question and see whether his dad had any stock left over from back then (no joy there), but I also mentioned his old bike in the hope that he still had it.

We got chatting and he said it had been a custom-built light-weight race frame that his dad had commissioned from a renowned road-racing frame builder by the name of Mike Kowal, who specialized in making light-weight frames using Reynolds 531 tubing (he used to work at the Reynolds factory it turns out). He used to ride and race it at WHEELS(!)

***I was getting excited by this point***

Then he drops a bombshell; he sold the bike when he got in to Mountain Biking. Sadness. I started researching Mike Kowal (spoke to Sawzall and animal about him also), and eventually tracked him down and gave him a call.

He mainly built road racers (still does but mostly imports frames and distributes them these days as he’s a billion years old), but he said he DID used to make BMX Freestyle frames for Halfords bitd, and his biggest contract of all was building BMX race frames for Peugeot. He also got several ‘bespoke’ BMX frame orders from one-off customers, including Mr.Perks, so there must be some out there. He told me they were either chrome or white. No other colours. I can’t find an thing about his BMX frames online at all though. Just road racing bikes. He seemed to know all of the usual British BMX frame builders of the time as he was name-dropping all over the shop.

Couple of hours later Jon Perks got back in touch with me, having spoken to his dad. He couldn’t remember the name of the kid his dad sold the bike frame to, but he gave me an address in our little town (and even a StreetMap shot of the actual house), so I’ll be off door-knocking when I return to the UK in the hope that his folks still live there and there’s a rusty old chrome BMX sat somewhere awaiting my arrival  :D

So….. anybody know anything more about Mike Kowal or have any of you come across a 'Kowal BMX' in the past????
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:59 AM by dinglem »
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Mike Kowal Reynolds 531 BMX - anybody heard of them?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 08:38 AM »
Cool story Ding  :daumenhoch:

Never heard of him or his frames, fingers crossed you track that one down though  :coolsmiley:

monkian

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Great story Mart. Good luck with the hunt. I guess he must have made these In the ad? No mention of the Raleigh Reynolds frames?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:30 AM by monkian »

monkian

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 09:24 AM »
I might have some of his work, if he made the Peugeot bars as well😊

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 01:48 PM »
Some great pics there guys - thanks.

I'll forward them on to Mike Kowal and see what he has to say. Never knew about the Pug/Reynolds link until now.

Quite like those bars too  :daumenhoch:

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Just noticed your Reynolds decal has '500' tubing.... It states in the ad that they were 531.

I have a few sets of Reynolds bars and I have been wondering about the numbering. Mine have either 500 or 530 tubing, but look identical apart from that.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

monkian

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 04:06 PM »
I spoke to Phil about the bars and he mentioned that Reynolds products have been found made using different tubing spec. Probably down to stock availability.

Offline Andy1970

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 05:44 PM »
I think the Peugeot in the ad above was made by Rebel. Ive seen these before and they are 99% the same as the Rebel pro race.They are too alike to be made by different companies. I think there were a few Peugeot frames made with Reynolds tubing though.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 05:54 PM »

I sent the ad and bar pics to Mike and asked if he had made them. He also confirmed there was a link with Rebel. His reply below:-

'Yes we made the frames, bars, and seat posts for Peugeot. We also sold the 531 bars to Gratton the mail order catalogue.

90% of our production went to Halfords. The frame we supplied was a freestyle frame and was badged up Steve Wilson. Steve Wilson ran the Halfords BMX team.

If I remember ....................................our racing BMX frame was modeled on the 'Firebird' frame. All our original frames were chrome plated. We then went to White powder coating as this was latter the fashion.

At one stage we were going to tie up with Rebel BMX which was an off shoot from the old Comrade bicycle company in Darlaston.'

monkian

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Great bit of insight. Thanks for sharing it Mart😉

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 10:21 PM »
His workshop is less than 2 miles from my door.... amazing to discover what was being made just around the corner without me even realizing it.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 11:42 PM »
This is a great story!! Really hope that bike (or any of the others) still exist but in any event, it's RAD!!
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

griff

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 12:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing Martin  :daumenhoch: great post

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 09:46 PM »
This adds up now I have had time to think on it Martin . I had two freinds who had Perks frames . I asume now they were Peugeot/Rebels . One was white the other Chrome  8) It would also comfirm why there were so many pairs of those CW copy bars in 531 and 530 floating about in our area . I also think they made the Vector copy bars that I bought from Steve Goodes bitd .

I bet my bottom dollar they made the TRM race frames aswell as thats another Rebel connection .

I'll add more as I recall . But this is certainly curtailing some mystery's from bitd .

Always knew about all the bits made bitd but couldn't knit it together  :shocked:

Top man Mart   :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:49 PM by animal »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 12:40 AM »
The plot thickens! :popcorn:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 04:47 AM »

I sent the ad and bar pics to Mike and asked if he had made them. He also confirmed there was a link with Rebel. His reply below:-

'Yes we made the frames, bars, and seat posts for Peugeot. We also sold the 531 bars to Gratton the mail order catalogue.

90% of our production went to Halfords. The frame we supplied was a freestyle frame and was badged up Steve Wilson. Steve Wilson ran the Halfords BMX team.

If I remember ....................................our racing BMX frame was modeled on the 'Firebird' frame. All our original frames were chrome plated. We then went to White powder coating as this was latter the fashion.

At one stage we were going to tie up with Rebel BMX which was an off shoot from the old Comrade bicycle company in Darlaston.'
k

didn't know that about the Wilson freestyle frames.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 10:38 AM »
great story, love this sort of history of our sport/hobby

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 11:47 AM »
I can also remember a pal bitd who had a copy Haro Freestyler . He told me his dad got it from over cannock . May be that solves the mystery of where they came from . Also the Vector copy bars would tie in with that aswell.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Mike Kowal Reynolds 531 BMX - anybody heard of them?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx