gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 10:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Bath Question?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oxalic Bath Question?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Oxalic Bath Question?
« on: February 21, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Hey guys am ready to get my parts into the oxalic bath but wondering how long you's leave it in for etc
And were do you get a spray tin of rust inhibitor at.

graham
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Oxalic Bath Question?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:19 PM »
did you buy the oxalic yet?  ....cause citric acid might be cheaper and there are some top tips for this from Clint oldschoolace :daumenhoch:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:28 PM »
yeah got it delivered earlier on there so need to goto B&Q and get a long plastic storage box to put frames into etc the ones i have are a bit small typical more money to spend,just need a tin of rust inhibitor now ya know anywhere that would do that?

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:55 PM by fischflo »

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Thanks not sure if its the same,on another site i read that they used a rust inhibitor after they brought it out of the oxy bath etc

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:34 PM »
I normally leave it in overnight for about 12 hours or so.  :)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Have the stuff in soaking now,whatabout the yellow stuff that starts to form on the parts,and how much of it did you put in?

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Dont worry about the yellow stuff. Its just the oxy attacking the rust. Normally come in 1kg tubs. I put in about 3/4 or about 750g so have a bit for spare. If I get a chance I normally mix the water round every few hours.  :daumenhoch:

Have the stuff in soaking now,whatabout the yellow stuff that starts to form on the parts,and how much of it did you put in?

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 12:18 PM »
yeah it was a 5kg one i got of ebay £27 approx,its been in about 14 hours so do i keep adding more acid to it etc i read a thread on bmxmuseum and the guy said to keep removing that yellow stuff or it will stick and wont be able to remove it,so what do i do ?

might have a bath in it  "wantit" :p

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 12:34 PM »
I've never had it stick just washed it off with water. If your concerned take it out and wash it off then put back in. Be careful adding more and more as it will get stronger and stronger. I personally think it could have an oposite effect. Thats why I go for a weaker mix and leave for the 12 hours, never left it longer than 18 hours. Keep stirring. Just keep an eye on it if it is strong and left for a long time. Should deffo not need longer than 12 hours if its a strong mix. Once its dry peek polish it. Try not to leave this longer than 24 hours after removing from the bath.
It can sting that stuff when you get it on your skin.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:37 PM by BMX1973 »

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I took the frame and forks out of the bath still has a good bit of rust on it,i had it in soaking for just over 36 hours,so i think its of to  the powder coaters for these,it did a good job on a set of gt forks though.

Any ideads of why it didnt remove all the rust with it been in so long etc.

graham

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 03:27 PM »
No idea why it didn't remove all the rust, it should do. Do you mean there are black marks where the rust was? If so the chrome has worn and so too has the yellow nichol underneath back to the metal of the frame.  :-\ If it still looks good then build as a rider everyone likes a survivor bike. If for show maybe get a paint job in an original factory colour. Get some pics up of it.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Yeah - lets see pics.

Next time use Citric Acid - OA can cause a 'bruise' stain on the chrome on thinner chrome jobs.

Bath tub half full of water, half to three quarters of a kilo of Citric and 24 hours does the job normally - sometimes quicker. You have to occasionally with an old toothbrush go over the rusty bits.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Were do you guys buy the citric acid,coz i aint for tesco's to buy tons of lemens and squeeze them in to the bath "wantit" >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 06:25 PM »
Cheers Danny,i never knew you could get it in the uk i though it was maybe a specialized seller that would have did something like that.got it ordered there,so i will  give it a blast when i get it,How good is the citric?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 08:02 PM »
It's done pretty much everything I've chucked at it including a frame that was rawed and left in a shed that got submerged in seawater (the rust also had sand imbedded in it)  :LolLolLolLol:

If you fill your tub and put buckets/pop bottles full of water in with what you're doing (to decrease the amount of water and citric needed in the tub), check every 8 or so hours and go over the rust spots with a toothbrush you'll be good to go. If the rust is real deep, use a scalpel at a 45 degree angle to gently tease off the stubborn bits and pop back into the citric.

You can see when the citrics working by the fact the water turns a 'piss yellow'  :)

Also it doesn't affect decals.

If using your bath, make sure the missus is away.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 09:40 PM »
omg i would like to see her face someday if she came home and i had bike F&F and parts in the actual bath  "wantit" i would end up in the piss coloured water :D

Thats the colour of the water was with the oxalic acid and the smell was stinking lol

rodriguez

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 11:05 PM »
You need to sweeten her up and involve her in your hobby this is your perfect opportunity because they make bath bombs women put in the bath out of citric acid.

Run her a bath.

Light some candles.

Pop in the bath bombs.

Hand the missus the frame and a tooth brush.

Leave for 12 hours then check if done.

Jobs a good un   :daumenhoch:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 12:11 AM »
PMSL,rod i nearly wet the bed there reading that,i would love to see her face if she thought i was been all romantic and all ; :smitten: and then when shes in the bath reach her a frame and a tooth brush,:D the frame would be implanted in my skull  :police: :crazy2:

god that was funny good 1  :daumenhoch: :2funny:

Offline spanner monkey

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Depending on how bad the rust is you can use aluminum foil and a bit of elbow grease(http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html). I tried it on my Haro forks and they have come up a treat. Just have to do the frame now  :daumenhoch:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 02:24 PM »
or use some coke,and i mean the stuff you drink  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:and tin foil but not the shiney side and and a bit of hard work will do the trick,i got some citric acid so going to give it a blast,the oa never removed it like what i thought it was going to and i had it in 36-40 hours  :daumenhoch:

graham

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Bath Question?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx