gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 19, 2024, 07:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headset help  (Read 597 times)

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
Headset help
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:49 PM »
I was lucky enough to win the quad frame at mk11 :daumenhoch:
Going to start building it up, but not sure what headset I need as I've only ever built up old school. From what I've read they come with thread less headsets? Is this what's known as 'integrated '?
Sorry if I sound thick but I've never been down this road :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
Re: Headset help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:33 PM »
I don't think this is integrated. The way you would know was if the frame had moulded upper and lower cups as part of the frame. I think this is the 1"1/8th aheadset type set up.  Which is a doddle to set up. You fit a crown on your forks just like old school then a seal and a greased up bearing race. Then tap in the upper and lower cups. This should be exactly the same as the old school headset process. (only difference is probably the addition of a dust seal that fits around the edge of the fork crown) then you slide the fork into the head tube. You then slide the greased up top bearing down the top of the fork into the top cup. You then fit the top seal and cone slid down the fork shaft and over the bearing. Then slide the stem over the down the forks. The top of the forks will stick out a bit. You take a rough measurement of the sticking out fork post so you know how many spacers you need under the stem. Please note the fork needs to ideally be a couple of mm below the top of the stem. You then remove the stem and fit the desired spacers or gyro plate and then refit the stem back into place. Hopefully it will be spaced out correctly. If not remove the stem and add or remove the spacer washers to lift or lower the stem. (also note you do have the option of cutting down the forks. But be aware they may then be to short for another frame!) the last thing to do is to check your forks have a thread inside the fork tube and if you have the threaded bolt and cap for them. If there is no threaded insert in the forks you take the threaded captive nut from your headset kit and push it Into your forks. This will only go in one way withe angled coller holding it in place. ( you need the cone shape coller retaining clip with the cone pointing down the fork tube). You then fit the washer and bolt into the top of the fork and do it up. This needs to be done up and then loosened of a couple of turns. This will seat your bearings/cups/forks. You then do up the two bolts that clamp your stem to your forks making sure the handlebars/stem are in line with your front wheel. If the steering is nice and free without any headset wobble then it is set up correctly. If the steering is to tight you need to loosen the fork bolt a little and undo the stem clamping bolts and shake the steering a little. If there is headset play you just loosen the stem and tighten the fork bolt a little the re tighten the stem clamping bolts. It's very easy to set up and sounds more complicated than it is. You may find that your headset becomes a little loose after some riding. This is because the bearings have bedded in. As per above you just loosen of the the stem and tighten the fork bolt until the slack has been removed. Once this has been done it is rare it will need adjusting again. Maintenance free not coming loose headset. You will be wishing they had invented it that way in the old days! Any probs message me and I will give you a hand as I'm local. Cheers stu :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:20 PM »
^^^ What Stu said Mark^^^^

Or bring it to T1 and I'll fit it for you mate, no problem :daumenhoch:

Got your parachute ready btw ??? :2funny:
Still limping......

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:12 PM »
Cheers stu :daumenhoch: as soon as it's back from powder I'll set about it.
Cheers for the offer spen :daumenhoch:
Captain freefall will be in attendance, hopefully with a new school which is winging it's way from Ireland as we speak :)
If I get the quad together I may bring that as well. I usually manage to break something so a spare is a good option :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:20 PM »
I usually manage to break something so a spare is a good option

No laybacks then this time eh ??? :shocked: :2funny:

Looking forward to taking your NS for a quick spin then :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx