gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975628 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 03:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Freebie Mag!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Freebie Mag!  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Freebie Mag!
« on: July 17, 2016, 02:07 PM »
The other month I spotted an old Kuwi on a trip in to Tokyo. It was early evening (I was on the way to see a band), so the photos I took of it weren’t great and I didn’t bother sharing them. Yesterday, however, I got a 2nd chance as I went back to the same venue (to see the same band) and luckily the bike was still there! Here are some pics:-

The bike was chained up near a cool-looking clothes store, so I went in and asked the owner (Koyama-san) if it was his bike and sure enough it was. We got talking and it turns out that this was his bike from bitd. As you can see from the pics, many of the og parts have been swapped out over the years but the frameset, stem, bars, opc, brakes are all from the 80s. As I was having a closer look at it, Koyama-san went back in to the shop and came out with this:-

He said that the hub and/or freewheel was broken but he didn’t have the tool to remove it, so had replaced the whole wheel. He then said that if I wanted it, it was mine. I asked if he was sure that he didn’t want to keep it, but he said not, and furthermore, that he would look after it for me so that I didn’t have to carry it to the gig! So off I went, spotting this Schwinn Predator further along the same road:-

So after the gig, I returned to Koyama-san's shop, armed with a couple of beers. We got talking about the famous brands from the past then he told me about his racing. He mentioned Wildcat bike shop, who were then the biggest bmx shop in Tokyo, and used to promote many of the races. That name rang a bell from a previous post on here -
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,185902.0.html - and perhaps explains the prominence of their banner in this pic:-

So I’m now the owner of an ACS Z mag and Duro motorcross tyre. Not sure what I’m going to do with it, but it’s not bad for a freebie! Plus it was good to meet and have a chat to another old BMXer. Top man – top evening!

From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Freebie Mag!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 02:14 PM »
Nice work Mick.... you need to get into his ribs about getting the rest of the bike now.   :LolLolLolLol:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Rest assured, I've already sewn that seed! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Ace story.  do love your little stories from over there !! keep em coming.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Great story ... Old school Gold!! Love it  :4_17_5:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 05:20 PM »
Any day chatting bmx over beers and free stuff has got to be a good day  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline senzo milano

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Some people are always lucky  :4_17_5:

Very nice story.... Wish i was in Japan to ...

Maybe one time iT Will be  :daumenhoch:
Big bobbles ,no troubles

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 12:41 AM »
Some people are always lucky  :4_17_5:

Very nice story.... Wish i was in Japan to ...

Maybe one time iT Will be  :daumenhoch:

Well lmk when you do Patric, then you can bring some of your parts over for me! :daumenhoch:

Offline retrogeezer

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 02:20 PM »
cool story and a nice ride too  :daumenhoch:

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 11:22 PM »
 I love the oldschool combination lock,just shows the difference between Japan and here,I bet it wouldn't get nicked.
My mate and me had our Dp FS and Rickman FS nicked with one of those locks back in the eighties,they took the lock as well !!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Freebie Mag!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx