gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 11:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Kendal BMX Track (BITD)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kendal BMX Track (BITD)  (Read 2341 times)

moley

Kendal BMX Track (BITD)
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Does anyone know where this address of this track or where it was located?

I was wondering if it still existed.

My nearest Track is 50 miles away but if this track still exists under a load of overgrown weeds and fly tipped rubbish then maybe it could be rejuvenated!!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:15 PM by moley »

moley

Re: Kendal BMX Track (BITD)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:16 PM »
I've found the address but there is no sign of the track!!

Probably has some units built on top it now!!  :(

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:36 PM »
I remember it was just outside kendal up on the hill somewhere but can't remember how to get there now as my m8 dad used to drive us. Can you google map it ?? :)

moley

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 04:01 PM »
Kendal & District BMX Club
Cinder Ovens Track
Leisure Centre
Kendal
Cumbria

This is Kendal Leisure Centre

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=leisure+centre+kendal&jsv=149f&sll=54.328422,-2.742663&sspn=0.044746,0.109863&ie=UTF8&ei=y3a-Sf-WC6XY2gKPkLzzBQ&cd=6&cid=54315990,-2738970,3770559562389199212&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

And the only reference to Cinder Ovens brings up this address :- Cinder Ovens Parkside Road Kendal LA9 7EN

Parkside Road is just to the North of the Leisure Centre!!

topper

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:28 PM »
use to be one in Barrow BITD , but thats covered in units , warehouses....

bof

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 07:30 PM »
This is kendal track

All i can remember is you had to walk under a railway arch to get from the car park, and also I think if you where stood on the main road in front of the leisure centre the track could just be seen on you far left.

bof

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 07:35 PM »
<I ve just looked at your google earth map moley and can see where the track was , if you look at my picture there is a footpath at the side of the track this runs along the back of the liesure centre . follow that path beyond the football pitches and I think you can make out the layout of the track. I tried to copy the picture but it wont let me do it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:40 PM by bof »

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:36 PM »
I think you're right Bof.  At first I thought no, it was closer to the sports centre, but then remembered one time riding down that path with a mate in between races and thinking Oh, bettr go back, we have got as far as the sports centre!!( I was 11!).  Also remember the car park being further away from the track than most tracks and cobble streets and also remember one time me and a mate rode down out of the street from the car park that was a straight road (could be Lound street looking at the satellite pic) and on to the mail road where the river was and a bridge nearby to cross it (also decided that was too far to go too!  ;D).  I think you can make the start hill out on the satellite pic too, which would add up with that pic posted of a stright running parallel with that path.
Only went a couple of times, remember liking the track, just got no pics of it :(

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Moley,

I see you're in Grange (I'm further down the road in Ulverston), Penrith would be about a 40 miles drive for you. 

The track, whilst overgrown, may still be there - I've heard differing reports.  One report is that it was levelled a few years ago,  and one report that it can still be seen from the nearby dual carriageway (that last one is from my mum!). 

I've been meaning to take a look everytime I'm up there but never get round to it.  If it is there and someting can be done to it I'd be well up for rolling up my sleeves - it's about time Cumbria was back on the BMX map!

moley

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:41 PM »

What here?

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 10:43 PM »
Dude, when you said you were big on the O/S scene, I had no Idea you meant ordanance survey  :-\
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

bof

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:48 PM »
Thats about right moley that would have been the first straight  :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 10:53 PM »
Moley,

I see you're in Grange (I'm further down the road in Ulverston), Penrith would be about a 40 miles drive for you. 

The track, whilst overgrown, may still be there - I've heard differing reports.  One report is that it was levelled a few years ago,  and one report that it can still be seen from the nearby dual carriageway (that last one is from my mum!). 

I've been meaning to take a look everytime I'm up there but never get round to it.  If it is there and someting can be done to it I'd be well up for rolling up my sleeves - it's about time Cumbria was back on the BMX map!

Preston is about as close, maybe not in miles but in driving time!!  :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Thats about right moley that would have been the first straight  :daumenhoch:

I just did my shopping at ASDA up the road!!

I'll check it out when I go back!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Preston is also a lot less rejuvination time than Penrith!

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 11:06 PM »
PM JTsmooth, he is on with stuff to do with old tracks up that way, you may be able to help  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 08:50 AM »

What here?

Yeh, that is where I thought Bof meant too and it does add up, except I reckon that just to the right of your pin and underneath where you have wrote 'what here?' you can see the start hill but that is me persuming that it was concrete....  but yeah....I that is def where the track was.  Nice find!

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 01:15 PM »
Let me know what you find at Kendal Moley.

If there is something that can be done to it count me in- I'll bring my shovel. A local(ish) track would push me closer to racing again.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Kendal BMX Track (BITD)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx