gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 01, 2024, 06:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Bring Old School back!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bring Old School back!  (Read 1444 times)

Guillotte

Bring Old School back!
« on: December 19, 2008, 04:42 AM »
It's time we said no to energy drinks, brakeless 7 year olds, and foot-jam nosepicks!

Push your bars forward, raise your seat, and re-attach those front brakes. If a barspin gives you trouble just because your bars are ahead of your forks then perhaps you should buy an old coaster brake on E-bay to relearn back-hops. All the old seat-to-bar rolling grabs will be forever lost and that flat period was damn well worth remembering. And tell me that a front brake assisted nosepick is less physically rewarding than a foot-stuffed mutation. When you finish a run and relax whilst still on your ride, do you want to relax comfortably or do your best impression of a Spen trying to get a leg over on Nicole Kidman from behind, constantly having to try out several shoe boxes until you finally get the right angle? Just look at old pics of Blyther chilling on the deck with his right foot on the pedal and bars at 90 degrees looking full on pimp. I prefer a smooth, fully-braked tailtap, to a forced, barspun-footjammed-nosepick, ANY day. I appreciate the capabilities but it just doesn't flow. It just seems like tech is bypassing natural ability disregarding what we , as originators, passionately contributed and lived for. So to all you riders from BiTD, ride and represent without shame. Brake it up, scuff it up, send Peter Noble appreciation letters, build 3 ft wide quarters and shred them, make love to your wife with an Eddie Fiola centerpage spread open on her back, refuse to use your toes as a gravity enhancer, arrange your ride so that you sit on it comfortably with Mars Milk in your left hand and some random candy in your right,  land your tailwhips foot-on-the-frame first, reserve a whole day to watch Denny's vids on weed, cherish what we were a part of, and never play soggy biscuit  at Stonehenge with friends on Excstacy. Happy Christmas and Merry somesuch.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Bring Old School back!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:27 AM »
I agree about the seats & brakes 8)

I would love to find a proper sized seat post for my bike  :-\
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:41 PM by wish id kept my TA »

Sean 2000

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 11:08 AM »
Wise words Greg, wise words!
 ;D

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:27 PM »
Greg spot on  :4_17_5:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

sweetbeats

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 02:43 PM »
Newskool whats that? :D

bmxer4ever

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 03:13 PM »
Well timed comments my friend, well timed....

Just gettin' all the parts together for my new ride. Just took the headset and btm brkt. and drivetrain to my local shop for them to fit it (don't have the tools or know how!!), should get it back tomorrow and start building (hard to find front brakes these days though :LolLolLolLol:).
2 brakes, 4 pegs and the seat where my knees have got used to it for the past 25 years.

I've never given a f@ck about all that crap - I ride the way I do because that's what I like and that's what works for me and nobody will tell me otherwise (although Stodgy tried!).
I can't stand all this footjam pish, it's skillfull, but it looks crap.
But each to his own, I ain't gonna mock it, 'cos it's another trick to be learned at the end of the day. I just happen to think that there's a whole other list of tricks for me to learn before I bother with footjams.

It's my 40th next year and we're planning on some fun things which will limit my time available off work, but if I could, I'd love to fly over and spend some time sessioning with you and Lee and the boys.
Then you'd see that the old school never went away, it's just been hiding in the West End of Glasgow!
We'll see....

Cheers Greg.
G :daumenhoch:

Old bike, this spring, Fiola nose wheelie in Majorca. (Thank god I've lost a LOT of weight since then!!)

New Ride.......
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:20 PM by bmxer4ever »

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 04:39 PM »
I think that most of us who got back to old skool, did so because we missed riding our bikes & now a lot of us are now starting to build new skools.

I think this is going to be sweet  :smitten:

8)

Broggie

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 05:39 PM »
A very good plan with only one problem...I can jam my OS brakes on as hard as I like and all that  happens is that I slow down...a bit.  I really don't understand how anyone did any tricks BITD with most of the brakes that were available...did you sort of jam on the brakes then jump on the bike after  ;D

Don't get me wrong I love OS bikes, but I just cant get anything done with the brakes.

Ray.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 11:34 AM »
A very good plan with only one problem...I can jam my OS brakes on as hard as I like and all that  happens is that I slow down...a bit.  I really don't understand how anyone did any tricks BITD with most of the brakes that were available...did you sort of jam on the brakes then jump on the bike after  ;D

Don't get me wrong I love OS bikes, but I just cant get anything done with the brakes.

Ray.

Clean and fettle. That's always been the way with brakes, whether it was mx1000's or ad990's. I've always had good brakes - absolutely essential to my riding style.
What you have to remember is that most people here were 5 stone lighter bitd, so the OS brakes were stopping a lot less mass! :LolLolLolLol:

Guillotte

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 07:12 AM »
I'm down with NS technology but represent OS psychology.

Yeah... it rhymes. New CD coming out soon.

lodge

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 07:47 AM »
Well i feel a bit different although I'm old school and run two brakes and love a braked nose pick I love the new school brakeless thing.
Now at my age its fair to say that I'm never gonna take my brakes off but if I was much younger I would have them off like a shot, I just love watching brakeless riders as IMO they have so much flow and the rate they progress is mind blowing.
I also love the new school bikes my current bike is just in a different league for rideability and for looks compared to anything i had bitd.
I will never forget my roots and love talking sh it about old school bmx but I do like where bmx is today.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Well i feel a bit different although I'm old school and run two brakes and love a braked nose pick I love the new school brakeless thing.
Now at my age its fair to say that I'm never gonna take my brakes off but if I was much younger I would have them off like a shot, I just love watching brakeless riders as IMO they have so much flow and the rate they progress is mind blowing.
I also love the new school bikes my current bike is just in a different league for rideability and for looks compared to anything i had bitd.
I will never forget my roots and love talking sh it about old school bmx but I do like where bmx is today.

A skatepark (indoors and outdoors) at every corner, foam pits, online accessability to everything that's goin' down anywhere in the world and bike's that weigh nothing and don't break every five minutes.
Is it any wonder?
New school is great, but how fast would YOU have progressed with all that back in the '80's??
I don't think any of us would have gone to school!

:LolLolLolLol:

G

rosscoe

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 06:13 PM »
oldskool has its place in all of us, but new school is where its at right now.......simple as

brakeless fools scare the bejeezus outta me, but we all followed bitd and its progress. watching those that can is breathtaking in the same way that watching anybody talented on a lill bike is

gary - love to see how your gonna get yer post up high on that lill beauty matey

lodge

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 06:22 PM »

A skatepark (indoors and outdoors) at every corner, foam pits, online accessability to everything that's goin' down anywhere in the world and bike's that weigh nothing and don't break every five minutes.
Is it any wonder?
New school is great, but how fast would YOU have progressed with all that back in the '80's??

G

Gary I didn't mean progression in general I was meaning the rate a brakeless rider progresses compared to a braked rider. :daumenhoch:

oldschool rider

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 06:53 PM »
OLDSCHOOL / MID SCHOOL / NEW SCHOOL   BLAH BLAH BLAH...........................

IMO BMX is like music, fads come and go but they usually come back full circle in some form or other. At the end of the day it's all BMX and that's what's important I love it all.

I personally prefer Old & Mid but that's when I did the majority of my riding however the NS kids are unreal in the shit they do but for feck sake buy yourselfs belts to hold up your damn trousers nothing looks worse than a rad as fook kid who kills it in the park but every 2 secs is pullin his trousers up, alot of NS tricks are really hard and tech but they lack the style of a good OS/MS rider, yes I know there are exceptions but I'M talkin generally.

I currently ride a NS bike but it's purely for the ease of being able to source parts quickly and they are more reliable. But I still have my 86 Trickstar in my bedroom awaiting a restoration job.

s.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 10:07 PM »
oldskool has its place in all of us, but new school is where its at right now.......simple as

brakeless fools scare the bejeezus outta me, but we all followed bitd and its progress. watching those that can is breathtaking in the same way that watching anybody talented on a lill bike is

gary - love to see how your gonna get yer post up high on that lill beauty matey

Oh, I agree, I think what the guys are doin' today is fantastic - I'm actually not talkin' about brakes vs. brakeless - it doesn't really matter to me, it's all good. I'm talkin' about the opportunities available today being so much better.

And yes - seatpost height is a problem!  :LolLolLolLol:

It's gonna be somewhere in-between!

Cheers Ross.

G

bmxer4ever

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 10:11 PM »

Is it any wonder?

G

Gary I didn't mean progression in general I was meaning the rate a brakeless rider progresses compared to a braked rider. :daumenhoch:

Ah, I see.....!
I couldn't agree or disagree with you there as I tend to be concentrating too much when I'm riding with other people!  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Bring Old School back!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx