gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 10:14 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  RHD v LHD
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: RHD v LHD  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
RHD v LHD
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Thinking about getting a new rear wheel, probably going to get a Proper, but not sure whether to make the switch to LHD. I have Primo cranks so thats not an issue. My pegs are on the right and I am hoping to learn peg grinds soon. Will the switch to LHD make the bike feel different or just get my left jean leg greasy??? I thought I would ask here before I try the Dear Laz section :LolLolLolLol:

lodge

Re: RHD v LHD
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Your bike wont physically feel any different whatsoever, but (I might be on my own here) when you have been riding right hand drive bikes for a long time (bare in mind every bike you will probs of ever owned will have been right hand drive) its very strange when you look down at your BB and theres no sprocket on the right hand side.
For me its a psychological thing as i know the bike rides the same whether right or left hand drive.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:18 PM »
can't see how it really makes a difference these days as sprockets are that frickin small now! i believe s&m alex invented it to keep the sprocket out the way but that hardly seems relevent now. then it just became cool!

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Gary if you`ve never learned peg stalls before stick your pegs on the left and learn them that way, you won`t know any difference because you`re learning the trick for the first time anyway, plus it helps you to ride both ways  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

oldschool rider

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Funny you should mention this,

I was down at the sk8 park yesterday with my bike which is LHD and this little NS kid told me that because I air left to right that my chainring should be on the other side, I smiled and asked him why, he said so your chainring doesn't hit the coping in grinds and stalls.

Although in theory the kid is right nowadays with such small chainrings it makes no difference and also the NS kids nowadays go both ways  :2funny: (I mean girls jeans and hairbands everywhere)

BITD the LHD would have helped keep your chainring out the way for grinds if you went Right to Left but nowadays it doesn't really make much difference as mentioned above due to small gearing on most bikes.

S,

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 04:27 PM »
Funny you should mention this,

I was down at the sk8 park yesterday with my bike which is LHD and this little NS kid told me that because I air left to right that my chainring should be on the other side, I smiled and asked him why, he said so your chainring doesn't hit the coping in grinds and stalls.

Although in theory the kid is right nowadays with such small chainrings it makes no difference and also the NS kids nowadays go both ways  :2funny: (I mean girls jeans and hairbands everywhere)

BITD the LHD would have helped keep your chainring out the way for grinds if you went Right to Left but nowadays it doesn't really make much difference as mentioned above due to small gearing on most bikes.

S,

I would have confused him then, I air right to left but peg stall/grind left to right  ???

oldschool rider

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:40 PM »

I would have confused him then, I air right to left but peg stall/grind left to right  ???
[/quote]

Now that is strange Bill,
But when you say Air one way Grind/stall other way, you mean you can only do them that way or it just feels more natural ?

Sx

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:06 PM »

Now that is strange Bill,
But when you say Air one way Grind/stall other way, you mean you can only do them that way or it just feels more natural ?

Sx

No, I learnt that way on purpose so I`d be able to ride opposite.

When I started riding again in late 2004 I didn`t bother with pegs because I`d never rode with them bitd, but once I went all new school with my bike I put them on, but because I`d never learnt them either way I thought I`d put them on the wrong side and learn them that way, and it has helped me to feel more confident when I`m riding opposite  :daumenhoch:

kdubbmx

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Speak English please

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:14 PM »
Speak English please

It took me ages to write that so you would understand, looks like I failed miserably, F- for me  :idiot2:

oldschool rider

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Speak English please

It took me ages to write that so you would understand, looks like I failed miserably, F- for me  :idiot2:

Hey Bill I undestood perfectly and I'm Scottish !!!!!!  ;D and I think that's a great idea to learn both ways, i just got back into riding frequently myself but use 4 pegs and 2 brakes so I think i will give learning peg stalls on the small ramps the wrong way and see how I get on  :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 11:06 PM »
Jaime Bestwick does the same.  Or did.  Rides miniramp goofy, but rides vert regular.....  Although these days thats all getting a bit blurry.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Speak English please

Hey Bill I undestood perfectly and I'm Scottish !!!!!!  ;D and I think that's a great idea to learn both ways, i just got back into riding frequently myself but use 4 pegs and 2 brakes so I think i will give learning peg stalls on the small ramps the wrong way and see how I get on  :daumenhoch:

The idea was that I would put another couple of pegs on the right side after I had learned peg stalls ect on the wrong side and be able to do them both ways, unfortunatly I can`t do them the right way at all  :idiot2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  RHD v LHD

gfxgfx
gfx gfx