gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975724 Posts in 138932 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie August 22, 2024, 03:46 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  double brakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: double brakes  (Read 959 times)

Offline Peanut

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
double brakes
« on: December 07, 2005, 09:30 AM »
has anyone here used an upside down rear gyro cable as a front brake? I'm thinking I could get a double front brake this way.

theRuler

Re: double brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 09:34 AM »
hehe
why would you want 2 front brakes?

do you mean 2 levers working the same brake?
i have seen flatland riders do this, so it must be possible

for a minute i pictured you running 2 calipers

custom riders used to sell a small barrel with a grub screw in. that replaces the end bit of a cable (that goes into the lever)

bit fiddly to set up. i had one before i found somewhere that sold short giro cables (this was before the internet)

Offline Peanut

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 09:47 AM »
I feel silly now, I was thinking two calipers! Just wondered what running two would do, if they'd be efficient. But I'm guessing with only one lever you'd only get the same amount of pressure, just spread over a wider area.

Thing is, my brakes are sh1te, I've tried everything and they're still sh1te, I have the right blocks for my rims, brakes are relatively decent, cables run smooth etc. they just don't want to bl@@dy well stop me.

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:52 AM »
get a ubrake plate and a ubrake. then you'll stop on a dime!!
use hard blocks on an alloy rim, softer on a mag wheel.
make sure the brake operates freely (ie if you have a side pull, the nut at the front aint too tight)

its all in the setup. strip it it, grease it, WD40 the cable inner.

if its all set up right but still has no grip, try sanding the top layer off the blocks.
make sure the rim is clean.

i have some bikes with sidepulls and they work fine when set up good!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  double brakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx