gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975721 Posts in 138931 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie August 20, 2024, 09:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Buying an OS race bike
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Buying an OS race bike  (Read 1830 times)

Dgh

Buying an OS race bike
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:45 AM »
Anyone hot any ideas about where to go about getting one?

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Buying an OS race bike
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 12:19 PM »
Search the for sale section on here, theres loads about :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

magna13

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:53 PM »
Is there a certain bike your after?  ???

Dgh

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:04 PM »
not really got any partcular bike in mind, wife won't want me to spend a great deal as new to scene (went for 1st ride over bumps in about 25 years at the weekend - have the bruises to prove it).

I've seen the some Raleigh 25th anniversary limited editions on Ebay - are these OS legal? I suspect possibly not. Have also seen other OS legal bikes on Ebay, have been looking more carefully.

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Rules are 1" headset and caliper brake, so you've plenty to choose from.

Most try and find summat with a long top tube... we've all grown a bit since the eighties...  ;)

magna13

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:22 PM »
not really got any partcular bike in mind, wife won't want me to spend a great deal as new to scene (went for 1st ride over bumps in about 25 years at the weekend - have the bruises to prove it).

I've seen the some Raleigh 25th anniversary limited editions on Ebay - are these OS legal? I suspect possibly not. Have also seen other OS legal bikes on Ebay, have been looking more carefully.
The Burner does comply with OS regulations but sadly no retro jobies aloud  ;)

Dgh

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Damn, that 25th anniversary Super Tuff brought back some great memories ... :(

Will have to get a real 25 year old one then.

sonic-1

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 11:14 PM »
its worth seekin out one of the slightly longer ones like hyper metro , haro group 1 , robinson pro xl , freeagent limo
they are all around 1989-92 ish but are old school race legal
they are more stable being longer n seam more forgiveing , im on my 2nd race frame , first was a haro group 1 RS1 it was very nice didnt get on with it as felt twitchy to me !!!!!! got a haro group 1 pro xxl now its got 22" top tube its very long but i realy like the way it rides
hope thats been some help to yer  :daumenhoch:

scary_leary

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 07:14 AM »

If you turned up on say a 25th anno burner..
The club wouldnt be bothered, it would have to be a fellow racing that pulled their face.
I think a retro burner has more is more in keeping with os tham a hyper metro, freeagent limo.. etc

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:50 PM by scary_leary »

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 07:36 AM »
agree with above...

if you fancy a retro burner, crack on...change the bars and your on to a good ride.

magna13

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 07:41 AM »

If you turned up on say a 25th anno burner..
The club wouldnt be bothered, it would have to be a fellow racing that pulled their face.
I think a retro burner has more is more in keeping with os tham a hyper metro, freeagent limo.. etc

Well if retro's are now aloud then i might try and fid a f+f ;)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Zac......what do you mean with 'Retro'?  the Anno Burner is 1" threaded forks with a Caliper brake so it falls within the rules of OS racing.

when you say Retro i imagine things like the Retro Quads and such which have V brakes and a 1 1/8th headset, these would not be OS race legal.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 10:41 AM »
i have an early 21"TT SE Assassin with era correct stamped landing gear, totally old school legal and bomb proof, im never gonna get round to riding it again which is a shame as its awesome, and in my opinion the best frame SE ever made, the build quality is fantastic, but im starting to get rid of what i aint gonna ride so this could be yours, great condition but for a ding on the bottom of the right hand fork leg £155 posted for an SE F/F with Landing Gear. (im prob gonna regret this)
pic built up

motomagII

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 10:54 AM »
buy the assasin cant get better old school legal frameset than that bombproof long etc etc perfect . :daumenhoch:

Dgh

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 11:06 AM »
Have promissed wife that won't buy anything until the weekend - have to try the track on a hired BMX first (tried it on MTB last Sat - not a success). If it hasn't gone by then may well come back to you.

Also, are you just selling frame & forks?

Re the anniversary super tuff burner (nostalgia possibly clouding judgement here, but thought they were soooo cool in the 80's), so long as the brakes are caliper and the headset 1", it's not a problem, have I understood correctly?

Re the spirit of OS, I would guess that a 25th anniversary issue is likely to be bought by people who want to keep within said spirit. ;)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 11:24 AM »
yes just frame and forks, but if they go then the bars will be up for sale too (rare as SE Pro Crow bars £70) ive been toying with selling it over the last week and bit the bullet when i read your thread, if it dont go im not bothered as i do love this bike but it aint gonna get ridden, so giz a shout either way at the week end dude

daz :daumenhoch:

sonic-1

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 03:44 PM »
 :smitten: :smitten: the assasin is such a bargain even im tempted  :4_17_5:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 03:47 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

bof

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 10:19 PM »
I have a NOS haro RS1 frame and forks  you could have for £50  :shocked: I probably have some other bits I could throw in as well  :daumenhoch:
let me know if you are interested.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Buying an OS race bike

gfxgfx
gfx gfx