gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 03, 2024, 05:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fake Dia Compe
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fake Dia Compe  (Read 1623 times)

darkslider

Fake Dia Compe
« on: November 02, 2005, 02:34 PM »
How do you tell a real Dia Compe from a fake one, especially when second hand. Cos on my bike 1 lever has Dia compe on it other does'nt but both have 22 on the clip where the two parts of bracket  hook together. My calipers are fakes I know that now but how in hells name can you tell.

boogaloo-tramp

Re: Fake Dia Compe
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 04:38 PM »
Is it a tech 3 lever? As far as I can recall, dia compe brakes always said dia compe on them, whereas the fakes usually just had the MX logo on the actual lever. If it's a tech 3 without dia compe stamped on it, then it is a copy.

darkslider

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 05:14 PM »
No I mean the calipers like I said with the levers one is real the other is fake. But why bother putting 22 on the fake without the Dia Compe which is the stand out give away. I don't want me or anyone else getting ripped on fakes as prices are going silly. Lets face it anyone could print little red stickers unless there in a new packet how do you tell them from copies?

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:27 PM »
they have dia compe stamped on the back!!!

Dave
haro, how do you do

darkslider

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 05:40 PM »
Nice one is that on each side of arm or just one. My memorys crashed from 81 and I've only just returned loving the forum though.

boogaloo-tramp

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 07:16 PM »
No I mean the calipers like I said with the levers one is real the other is fake. But why bother putting 22 on the fake without the Dia Compe which is the stand out give away. I don't want me or anyone else getting ripped on fakes as prices are going silly. Lets face it anyone could print little red stickers unless there in a new packet how do you tell them from copies?

Oh sorry, i misunderstood the question. From what i remember all those years ago, dia compe copies were easy to spot because they were just cheap looking somehow, the finish was nowhere near as good as the originals. The casting looked more pitted and rougher, and the colours were'nt as bright and faded more easily. I can remember some of my dimwit mates with fakes on back in the old days, who thought the most important thing was that they said MX on, and there was no difference between dia compe or any other make. Mind you, these were the same people who couldn't differentiate between chrome plating, and chrome moly. Oh, the arguments I used to have!

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 07:58 PM »
original dia compes had the weimann turner thing , the quick release , and stamped on the back dia compe and a date on each caliper , some only had date but on both calipers, most copies have a normal turny thing.

Rich

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 08:09 PM »
Yeah, what rich said.

Although some DC's are not stamped with Dia Compe

But just have to see the quality, you will be able to tell straight out.

darkslider

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 10:29 PM »
Cheers guys mine must be amazing copies. I sort of thought they had the dial adjusters but didn't know if that was just the mx 1000. Just need to decide what colour now.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fake Dia Compe

gfxgfx
gfx gfx