gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975722 Posts in 138932 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie August 21, 2024, 05:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  how do we measure bar height? And if u have SM cruiser bars...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: how do we measure bar height? And if u have SM cruiser bars...  (Read 704 times)

seanrx

I thought i knew it all but maybe not?

have just returned a handlebar to shop cos it was 3/4" lower than i wanted, but the shop said it was'nt it's exactly the height it should be. Hmmm.

If i show everyone how i measure my bars, could you help me to be sure and perhaps do the same on some bars you have? Here's how i do it on my kitchen table:-

Lay the bars flat on table so grip ends are pointing upwards and are touching the wall.

Then, measure from wall (top of bars) to centre of clamp area.(centre)

Now measure from wall to start of bend/end of grip area.(centre)

Now subtract this second measurement from the first and you now have the bar height(c-c)

For example,my 5" DK bars( off my general lee) are 147mm(first measurement) and 20mm (second measurement). 147-20=127mm/5"

Funnily enough, the SM Slam bar 5 3/4" that i returned, was the same height as the DK bar. AND 6mm lower than my Radix 5 1/4" power bar. That i bought from the same shop!

advice please!

Offline pkradman

• Rated:
Re: how do we measure bar height? And if u have SM cruiser bars...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 11:40 AM »
i would  go from centre clamp area to centre of crossbar .. thats how they done it bitd

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 12:07 PM »
I have always wondered about this. There seems to be sevral thoughts about it.

The cross bar height has got to be irrelevant as some bars have a higher or lower bar relative to the grip.

I have seen people measure the angled length from the lower bend to the upper bend, but this can change if the angle of the "riser" bar is different.

I think it has got to be the vertical distance from the centre of the clamp to the centre of the grip: The rise of the bars.

rory

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:19 PM »
alex is right  :)

dj_benice

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 03:25 PM »
phew thought I had been doing it wrong for a minute  :-[

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:17 PM »
i just turn them upside down and measure from flat surface to clamp area.
ding dong

seanrx

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 09:49 AM »
hi. i also tried measuring the SM bars like alex. This made the bars 51/2" (from centre of palm area to clamp)

And how JT is measuring, seems like how i'm doing it.

If SM are sizing these cruiser bars from top of the grip ends to centre clamp, which is 5 3/4"( and the c/c size is 5" remember) then how are they sizing 8" slams?

Are they actually 7 1/4" c/c?

And does anybody have 6" x 26" bars for sale!?

bsdforever

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 10:05 AM »
here's the answer, this is from the CAD drawing of the BSD Sleazy bars,

so basically if your bars have upsweep and you cut them down then effectively they're now lower but probably by only a few mm

seanrx

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 10:04 AM »
bsd. ta for the pic. If the pic was of the bar i returned, the red number would say 5.25"! (and between the green points of the bends, i measured 5")

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  how do we measure bar height? And if u have SM cruiser bars...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx